Fayee Truck Project

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Fayee Truck Project

Post by Estnische »

More changes by Ella and Bella. They decided to protect the drive unit behind some armoured shutters.

Fabrication started with some 2mm sheet styrene as the bulkhead and an extension of the cabin roof back to meet it.

The hinges have proved problematic in the past with alignment, so the girls worked out a more accurate method by making the side panels of two 1mm layers. The inner layer has cut-outs for the hinges, as do the shutters, which came from a scrap Heng Long Sherman upper hull. Worked a treat.

After filling the joins, the grey paint ties it all together. The Colonial Marines don't use Olive Drab out in the colonies.

Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Ella and Bella decided it was time to go with some military spec wheels. The original items look a bit too recreational and plastic.

Some similar sized wheels were found, but they were not quite as large as the originals. In looking at trucks and APCs, I noticed that there are military wheels of all kinds of construction and complexity. I decided as a budget alternative, the original wheels were to be kept and ground out to take the outer face of some Banggood RC APC wheels - they have the advantage of having a similar screwdriver access hole.

Once the wheels where finished, the girls got the tyres refitted. A bit of weathering with panel line paint and pigment made things look a bit more natural.

Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Looking good, those girls hard at work aswell haha
I did notice that one of them installed the crown wheel gear on a drill bit, that axle maybe not soo good, so expect a break down to fix that one hahahahahahaha
Truck is looking great, i like the tyre and wheels, suit the truck well
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Looks like a fun build Brett, interesting to follow along! The new rims are a definite improvement, the originals look like they'd be more at home on a soccer mum's Prado.

My three-year-old niece has a pair of dolls she named Ella and Bella, but they're a little bit bigger than your girls!
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Thanks guys - the direction of the build has been a bit up in the air. It's not like a normal tank build where you have a prototype to work from. I have a theme of Colonial Marines, but when I found the Phalanx-equipped HEMTT, I nearly went with that instead. It's a bit of a practice run for something I want to try later.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Under increasing economic pressure, the major world governments have announced that the extra-terrestrial military services are to be privatised. As such the Yutani mining corporation will go into partnership with long time military suppliers, Weyland Propulsion Laboratories, to form the Weyland-Yutani Corporation. Weyland-Yutani will take over running of the Colonial Marines, weapons and vehicle development, and xenological research studies. The primary role will be to defend humans working outside the boundaries of Earth.

One of the fundamental changes for Bella and Ella is that they are now contractors. Base pay will now be supplemented by campaign allowances for those fighting in conflict zones, and retrieval bonuses calculated for squads that preserve or regain significant Yutani assets. Additional funding and slashing of bureaucratic channels means Bella and Ella have more freedom to do what they want to the truck.

To begin with, the girls have decided to add some firepower. They are going to mount a Weyland smart gun on the cabin roof for the passenger to operate with a joystick and monitor. The basis for the gun is a UA571 sentry unit from a 1:10 scale NECA Aliens accessories pack. I think it works as an upscaled larger calibre vehicle-mounted unit.

The sentry gun is a bit rough up close. The plastic is a poor quality casting in brittle material with warping and sink marks largely hidden by the weathered olive paint job. The muzzle snapped off while I had it stored, so I replaced it with aluminium tubing and filed flat as many surfaces as I could. Primer revealed a major hole where filler was required. I will have to retouch some of the coloured details, so while I was there I replaced the black camera lens with clear plastic.

I used some of the other accessories from the NECA pack to detail the operator station and plumb in the cabling. A controller joystick was found from a pistol grip leftover in a Gundam pack. With leftover personal weapons in the NECA pack, the girls commandeered the pump-action shotgun for themselves.

I had assumed from the movie that the guns used in Aliens were energy weapons given the term ‘pulse rifle’ and the use of the power unit attached to the UA571 sentry guns in the second photo. However the Aliens Wikipedia indicates they fire caseless projectiles and the round drum on the side is a magazine. Hence access is required to change the magazine, and so the girls have added an access hatch which provides some protection.

The cabin will later be protected with armoured panels and glass, but that is coming up later.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Hehe, I love the way this is going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Thanks Wayne, I'm a fan of the Aliens franchise and the Starship Troopers book.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

As promised, Bella and Ella have been up-armouring their cabin. First up, was to extend the nose to give them some penetration buffer and reduce the window openings.

Infill panels had to be created to match the new shape. The radiator panel still needs to be removable to gain access to the interior and the lights, so the return section was kept as a starting point and new mounting points were created for the new section.

The girls needed to keep the radiator opening, but to improve the look, the grill was turned around and recessed.

Filler was used to tidy up the gaps.

The flimsy doors also needed to be armoured and window openings reduced. A black guide coat was used to assist in rounding off the edges. The armour fasteners are brass pieces from Prime Miniatures.

Here it is with the glass installed. Tamiya clear green was used to tint the windows. Panzer grey paint is just a temporary coating until the paint job is done at the end.

Somebody forgot to paint the door hinges. Still debating whether to install door handles and windscreen wipers. Thoughts?

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Epic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”