Lrdg truck

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.

Postby Model Builder 4 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:48 am

Morning all,

This is a little project that I have been working on lately. I have only used the wpl chassis and cab in this build albeit heavily modified to get it looking somewhat near to the chevy trucks used, all other major parts have been made using styrene sheet and rods etc. I lowered the whole chassis by about 15mm to try and get the low stance of the truck and the cab has had many changes including lowering the door sills to the running boards, extending the arches at the front and rear and making the open front grille for aiding the airflow to the radiator. I've used a servo for the steering with a 30amp esc and 2s lipo, it has a truck sound module and a separate sound module for the mg sounds and flashing lights which runs to the Lewis machine gun in the cargo bed. So far I've only given it a base coat of light sand, It still needs a lot of little details adding yet and painting of all the extra bits. The pics show where I'm at now and how I started out with it and the last couple of pics are what I've been working from to achieve this :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Model Builder 4
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby Will01Capri » Mon May 03, 2021 12:18 pm

I think it looks ace, it's only going to get better as you continue further

A side by side this and some other trucks/vehicles would be great to see.

Keep up great work Lee
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Model Builder 4 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Thanks Will :D yes I will have to take a pic of all my trucks and vehicles one day when I get the chance and time :crazy:

Below is a short clip testing the 1/16 Lewis mg with the light and sound module, it was a bit tricky drilling the barrel for the fibre optic cable to fit down but with a bit of care and patience it worked out ok :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.

phpBB [video]
Model Builder 4

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon May 03, 2021 12:42 pm

Awesome work Lee :clap: :clap:

Got to love these surprise models coming out of nowhere ;)
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Ad Lav » Mon May 03, 2021 1:25 pm

Amazing work Lee, looking great!
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon May 03, 2021 1:43 pm

I'm with Mick on that, Lee- you always spring some pleasant build-surprises. :clap: I'm also a fan of the backdrops you use in your tableaux :thumbup: I think you once said you get them through Ebay. Well, I looked, but couldn't find anything matching the quality of the ones you've used in recent displays. :)
Roy
43rdRecceReg
Major

Postby Model Builder 4 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Thank you very much Mick :D I'm always working away in the background, the reason I don't start a build thread is because usually I have umpteen things going at the same time so the threads would be hanging around for a while for updates :/ :thumbup:
Model Builder 4

Postby Model Builder 4 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Thanks as always for looking in Adam :thumbup:
Model Builder 4

Postby Model Builder 4 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Thank you Roy, appreciate your support :D I have bought all of my photographic backdrops from Ebay, I just use that as my main search then put anything else in particular that I'm looking for ie desert landscape etc hope this helps :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Model Builder 4

Postby jarndice » Mon May 03, 2021 3:19 pm

A lovely job of work,
I especially liked the sand channels, Such happy memories or perhaps not :thumbdown:
How did you make/aquire them.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Model Builder 4 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:39 pm

Thank you jarndice :D I got the sand channels from our very own Will of WCP models along with the correct rims for this truck. I owe a debt of gratitude to the many skillful members of this forum who have always been extremely helpful with support for the majority of my builds, thank you all :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Model Builder 4

Postby Jimster » Mon May 03, 2021 4:36 pm

Outstanding! Your attention to detail and beautiful painting/weathering skills really set your models apart. Top shelf!
Jimster

Postby Model Builder 4 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:43 pm

Thank you very much for the kind words Jimster, they are greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Model Builder 4

Postby PainlessWolf » Mon May 03, 2021 10:12 pm

Lee!
So much can be done with these basic trucks and vehicles. Your excellent Desert Chevrolet is a Beautiful! example of what is possible. Following along.
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Model Builder 4 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:46 pm

Thanks for taking the time to look In painless :D these little trucks have been the base for so many of mine and others builds, it is so much easier to have something to work off even if we chop up and discard most of it during the process :haha: :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Model Builder 4

Postby jarndice » Tue May 04, 2021 1:08 am

PainlessWolf wrote:Lee!
So much can be done with these basic trucks and vehicles. Your excellent Desert Chevrolet is a Beautiful! example of what is possible. Following along.
regards,
Painless

I absolutely agree with you, one of my earliest builds was a truck pulling a converted Bruder low loader trailer, Using a working 5th wheel from Will I changed a six wheeled rigid truck into an articulated tractor,
Most of my six wheelers are no longer in their original configuration,
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with discarded Truck bodies :haha: :haha:
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Tue May 04, 2021 4:26 am

Oooh! I am jealous! ;D That is a fantastic model! Congratulations on top-shelf work! If there is ever another Truck-of-the-Month, ahem...
Herr Dr. Professor
Sergeant

Postby Model Builder 4 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:52 pm

Thank you very much for your kind words of encouragement professor :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Model Builder 4

Postby Will01Capri » Tue May 04, 2021 3:38 pm

jarndice wrote:
PainlessWolf wrote:Lee!
regards,
Painless

I absolutely agree with you, one of my earliest builds was a truck pulling a converted Bruder low loader trailer, Using a working 5th wheel from Will I changed a six wheeled rigid truck into an articulated tractor,
Most of my six wheelers are no longer in their original configuration,
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with discarded Truck bodies :haha: :haha:

Send truck bodies to me, they can always be recycled into Hot rods for some of our off the trolley builds hahahahahaha
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Heng Long Trucks