HL Truck Mods

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Meatball9584
Private

Re: HL Truck Mods

Post by Meatball9584 »

Roboticus_Prime wrote:Sorry it took so long. We've been pretty busy lately. Here's my video overview of my B16.

phpBB [video]

We need a video of it pulling the Sherman please pretty please
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Will01Capri wrote:
Tiger6 wrote:You'll need to cut the shafts shorter so that the U-joint butts up against the back of the housing and acts as a thrust face - this is why they don't go on the shaft to start with, they aren't supposed to go over the knurled part.
Can re-use the plastic bearings they use in the differentials as a spacer against the bearing face when you repalce the internals for metal parts. Means it doesn't wear against the diff plastic and the plastic bearing can be sacrificial
The U-joint provides the thrust face to keep the plastic bearing in place. Without this it fall out over time and, having lost half of your effective bearing width, your input shaft starts to wobble around and wear the gear teeth.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Will01Capri wrote:OUCH!
Gearbest double tyre setup!
https://www.gearbest.com/rc-car-parts/p ... id=1433363
Yikes! suddenly my 3D printing powered electric bill seems like good value for money 8O

@Forgebear - when are we getting these over here? https://www.gearbest.com/helifar-HB-%5E ... 805-_gear/

I'd buy the hell out of them in both 4x4 and 6x6, as would pretty much anyone else with Leopards and Challys.
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Post by Roboticus_Prime »

Tiger6 wrote:
Will01Capri wrote:
Tiger6 wrote:You'll need to cut the shafts shorter so that the U-joint butts up against the back of the housing and acts as a thrust face - this is why they don't go on the shaft to start with, they aren't supposed to go over the knurled part.
Can re-use the plastic bearings they use in the differentials as a spacer against the bearing face when you repalce the internals for metal parts. Means it doesn't wear against the diff plastic and the plastic bearing can be sacrificial
The U-joint provides the thrust face to keep the plastic bearing in place. Without this it fall out over time and, having lost half of your effective bearing width, your input shaft starts to wobble around and wear the gear teeth.
I just added a second bushing to solve that problem.

RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Tanks: HL M26 Pershing, HL M1A2 Abrams, Taigen M4 76, HL M45 Pershing, 1/18 PZ IV, VS Abrams, [coming soon]
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Meatball9584 wrote:We need a video of it pulling the Sherman please pretty please
Soon. I need to figure out a way to shim the inside of the diff without taking the driveshaft off.
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Tanks: HL M26 Pershing, HL M1A2 Abrams, Taigen M4 76, HL M45 Pershing, 1/18 PZ IV, VS Abrams, [coming soon]
Meatball9584
Private

Post by Meatball9584 »

Roboticus_Prime wrote:
Meatball9584 wrote:We need a video of it pulling the Sherman please pretty please
Soon. I need to figure out a way to shim the inside of the diff without taking the driveshaft off.
The middle bridge axle!
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Managed to shim the main input shaft on the center drive axle. I did this by cutting an opening on a small lock washer, wedging it in there, and greasing it up.

Now that the pinion has solid contact with the ring gear, the truck can now haul the 11.5 lb tank easy. Though with this kind of weight, I only recommend paved surfaces.

phpBB [video]
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Meatball9584
Private

Post by Meatball9584 »

Ok that's incredible. Absolute goals right there
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

So my part WPL chassis & otherwise almost entirely 3D printed body is almost complete in terms of the basic build. Now just alot of fettling and making it work and look nice.

Well chuffed with my lamp covers
ImageMade some headlamps for the GAZ69. Need paint, but they work well by Will Pattinson, on Flickr

ImageMade some headlamps for the GAZ69. Need paint, but they work well by Will Pattinson, on Flickr

Radiator hiding in behind the grill ;)
ImageGAZ 69. Radiator and full size servo as this is going to get abuse off road. by Will Pattinson, on Flickr
Radiator
ImageGAZ 69. Radiator and full size servo as this is going to get abuse off road. by Will Pattinson, on Flickr

Standard size servo, only because this will be crawling and getting alot of abuse.

3D faux engine printed to cover and also hold the standard servo in place
ImageEngine for the GAZ 69, which ask holds the servo in place by Will Pattinson, on Flickr

A close up of the engine
ImageEngine for the GAZ 69, which ask holds the servo in place by Will Pattinson, on Flickr

Front bumper custom designed and printed
ImageFront bumper printed and mocked up in position by Will Pattinson, on Flickr

I have ordered 2x 12v motors as i am going to run this little thing on 3S power! So there will be a stowage box in the back for battery & Rx, although i will make these look like
munition crates.
Metal internals for the axles are coming aswell so it can take the grunt, along with metal driveshafts. My wife is making a tarpaulin cover for the back and top of the cab aswell.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class