HL Truck Mods

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: HL Truck Mods

Post by midlife306 »

Hi Shaun,
Yes I have used Spareblocks before, I tend to buy 10+ in one go, I’m currently waiting for some to bounce through the letterbox. The ones I use are the 62.4 x 20’s.
I’ve also found some tyres from Germany, they look period but are slightly smaller than the Lego tyres. I’ll be using the German tyres on the WC51 as they look spot on
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

The files for the wc51 came from a very talented designer who lives in the UK but is not a member at rctw. He was kind enough to share the files with me and after a couple of sessions on Skype we brought Wayne into the mix and I sent the files to him to work with as well. What Wayne and I are doing right now is running the first prints and assembling the vehicles to get the drivetrain sorted out and work out any bugs. For example, I think we need to move the rear axle forward by about 3 mm, or move the bed back, either one, but I still haven't talked that over with the designer. Once we get all this stuff sorted out I'm hoping that he'll allow me to release the complete file package for anybody that wants to print one, but it's not my design, so it's not my decision. I will however, keep you guys posted.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Ohh the skullduggery of it all lol

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

There is a nice picture in "WIKI Commons" of a "WC52" which is a 51 but has an extension in front of the grille for a winch.
Something to mull over when you find yourself with nothing to do :haha: :haha:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

I’m hoping to make the 6 wheeler nextImage
Here’s a comparison, German left, Lego middle, HL right.
Cheers
Wayne

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

jarndice wrote:There is a nice picture in "WIKI Commons" of a "WC52" which is a 51 but has an extension in front of the grille for a winch.
Something to mull over when you find yourself with nothing to do :haha: :haha:
Shaun.
There are many different variants, including the wc53 ambulance, and the WC 56 command car, which George C Scott drove around in the movie Patton. If I have anything to say about it, we'll do every single variant they ever made. @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

My full collection of tyres, the small ones are spot on for a Jeep & trailer.
Cheers
Wayne

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

midlife306 wrote:I’m hoping to make the 6 wheeler nextImage
Here’s a comparison, German left, Lego middle, HL right.
Cheers
Wayne

I believe the tire on the left is closest to scale. When compared to the 1/16th scale Highway 61 trucks the HL / wpl tires are absolutely huge. But, I've been told that these trucks are actually closer to 1/14 scale than 1/16 so that might explain it.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I think the Lego tires just might be perfect for a Scammell pioneer.
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Well, here’s the WC51 on its wheels for the first timeImage
Once I’ve sorted out the drivetrain I will need to start stripping it to get it ready for paint.
Cheers
Wayne

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”