New WPL B24 Gaz truck!

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: New WPL B24 Gaz truck!

Post by Max-U52 »

Wayne, can you just go to a site like that and download the files and print out the product? Do they charge you for the files?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Max-U52 wrote:Wayne, can you just go to a site like that and download the files and print out the product? Do they charge you for the files?
I might be wrong but I was under the impression these 3d models can't just be used by a 3d printer
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

New WPL B24 Gaz truck!

Post by midlife306 »

The one above is free to download but I think would need a fair bit of work in a CAD programme to split it up & make it printable. There are ready made .STL files on that site that you have to pay for.
I like Thingiverse because all the .STL files are free.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not just a case of download the file,
Load it on the printer & press print lol
The .STL file is a 3D model, it could be scaled to any size, it could be upside down or at a jaunty angle. Plus most of the models I’m interested in are more than one part.
So a fair bit of work is still required.
I’ve always used Slic3r to slice my STL files & convert into gcode that my printer can run on. Quite a few knowledgeable people (Alwyn & Wibbs) have been singing the praises of Cura, I’ve been having a play with it for a couple of weeks now & it creates really good prints & the support material is really easy to remove. But it’s still a bit of a bugger to use, it just doesn’t have all the functionality of Slic3r.
What I’ve ended up doing is manipulating the STL in Slic3r & saving it as another STL, I load this into Cura, export the gcode to my printer & press print.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Just to explain. Tom is correct. 3D models take many forms, it's what games use. A model created for use in animations is not the same as a model created for use on a 3D printer. Take a look at the format it is .skp, a 3D printer needs a file in .STL format. Or more accurately, the slicer needs a file in STL format, and the slicer converts it to Gcode that the printer can understand.

It has been said many times that owning a printer is only 20% of the journey, the other 80% is learning how to design models using a CAD program. Even when you know 'how' to do it, it still takes hours, sometimes hundreds of hours, to design a model. That is why you only see basic items on Thingiverse, as no one is going to spend hundreds of hours designing something and then just give away all of their hard work for free. Some do, but very few.

Shapeways are opportunists. They host designs created by individuals, who spent all those hours designing models. They then invite the designers to upload the STL files. They then offer to print them for anyone who wants the model. They take 80-90% of the sale price, which is extravagant, and the designer who did all of the work gets a pittance. The material used to print that gun costs about £2...

If you want a unique model the only way to get it is to pay someone to design and print it, or design it yourself. Option B is the cheaper one! :wave:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

So what about the designs you put up for the truck wheels, Alwyn. Are those ready to go or do they still need work?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The wheel designs are good to go. The wheel design for the single lego tyre I have tested myself and the double tyre one, although I haven't tested it should also be good to go so when you have your printer set up, open the design in openscad, press f6 to render it, save the STL file, and away you print. Just remember to set CURA to print support everywhere.

Any problems or queries just raise them or pm me, happy to help.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I downloaded that ZSU into sketchup and there is no way I could turn that design into a 3d printable model. It is an artistic rendering and while it is very well done and probably quite accurate, it is useless for producing 3d prints. The design has to be done in such a way that the component parts can be separately rendered for the printing program (e.g. CURA or slic3r) to generate the STL file (gcode) which is then printed.

Having done the PAK 88mm gun for the Nashorn, I can tell you that the design to enable each component to be separately printed, fit together, and function as moving parts is a serious piece of work, prototyping, testing, redesign....etc etc. The ZSU is such a thin and complex item to design and print that I certainly wouldn't attempt it.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

AlwynTurner wrote:The wheel designs are good to go. The wheel design for the single lego tyre I have tested myself and the double tyre one, although I haven't tested it should also be good to go so when you have your printer set up, open the design in openscad, press f6 to render it, save the STL file, and away you print. Just remember to set CURA to print support everywhere.

Any problems or queries just raise them or pm me, happy to help.

Alwyn, My Friend, I believe you can rest assured I'll be in touch. @)

The mailman says my printer will be here Saturday, and I have no plans to rush things. I'll watch the assembly videos and see about CURA, and once I get things set up (I heard they come with a test pattern of some kind?) I'll start slow and work my way to proficiency. :/ :haha: 8)

Is it OK if I eventually attempt to modify your wheel design to fit the tankmodelbau tires? I suppose once it's public it's pretty much up for grabs, but I thought it would be more polite to ask first. 8) ;)
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yes no problem at all. The reason for posting was to encourage everyone to get stuck in and get familiar with modifying and creating designs, so please get stuck in. I would be very happy though if when you get a new working design, that you also publish it, and the more this happens then we start to build a library of designs that people can use.

Any questions or advice you need then just ask, there's plenty of help available.

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

AlwynTurner wrote:Yes no problem at all. The reason for posting was to encourage everyone to get stuck in and get familiar with modifying and creating designs, so please get stuck in. I would be very happy though if when you get a new working design, that you also publish it, and the more this happens then we start to build a library of designs that people can use.

Any questions or advice you need then just ask, there's plenty of help available.

Hey, you guys know me, I share my toys, and I'll post anything I might come up with. I can also easily see myself posting something so you guys can tell me what I got wrong and how to fix it so I can print it. :haha: :/ :O

I picked up 20 of the tires from tankmodelbau so those will be high on the list. I'd really like to get some asiatam tires and metal rims (like the ones on the blitz) but man, are those expensive. At least for me. To get just the tires and rims for a deuce, or any ten-wheeler, would run me over $80, and if I get axles it jumps to $170. Per truck. Plus about $30 shipping. But ten tires would be under $40 so if I could print rims that would be much more economical. But if I'm going to pay at least $30 shipping I might as well get 20 tires, and that brings me back up over 100 bucks. But I'd have two $30 trucks with some very, very nice tires!! @) :haha: :haha: :haha:

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”