2 stick control

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
minimivic
Private

2 stick control

Post by minimivic »

I can’t see any information, but can the OP do 2 stick driving? I.e. both sticks forwards goes forwards and 1 stick turns one way etc.
Forced into tanks by a 9 year old.
Taigen tiger1 metal edition, 4:1 gearbox, mako2017,tiger ring
Torro King tiger, with ibu2u, fr7 and tarr ibu edition.
Tamiya Tiger 1 ElMod pro,tarr, twin speakers.
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Re: 2 stick control

Post by LukeZ »

No, it is not setup presently to allow that method of operation. Because of the flexibility of the program it may be possible to spoof it somehow by using the Car type and setting the drive channel to one track and the steering channel to another, or some other strange arrangement, none of which I have tested. But directly, no, that is not supported.

You could also just control the drive features directly from your transmitter and bypass the TCB for that portion, but continue to use it for lights, cannon and other such (simply connect your ESCs to your receiver directly, rather than to the TCB).

You may be the first to have asked about it. I will consider it as a potential future feature, depending on how involved it turns out to be to create it. I will need to give it some thought.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
minimivic
Private

Post by minimivic »

This surprises me as 2 stick control is popular with 1/6 scale.
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

I’ve done some exploration of the practicality of this request and I’ve been meaning to write back with my final thoughts. Thanks for the reminder.

Given the framework that has already been constructed, I've decided it does not make sense to integrate this feature into the project.

My guess as to one reason why 2-stick control is popular in 1/6th scale, is because there are not a lot of “MFU” options in that scale. They are using direct connections from the receiver to their speed controls anyway. That is what I would recommend anyone continue to do who wants 2-stick control. The TCB requires external speed controls regardless, so the hardware is the same.

As soon as you take over manual control of each tread, the TCB would need to eliminate turn modes, inertia/momentum effects, driving profiles, nudging, the manual transmission feature, and worse, complexities would be introduced in synchronizing the sound and smoker with the actual drive speed. At this point, what benefit does the TCB offer over just running your tank directly with off-the-shelf RC equipment?

In fact I do think the TCB offers all sorts of interesting features for 1/6 scale models, but they way it has evolved, those features require single-stick control (one channel for throttle, one channel for steering).
minimivic
Private

Post by minimivic »

Luke the TCB has better control of the Sabertooth 32 over direct control
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Your video is certainly good evidence of that. I agree the TCB offers beautiful control, if you adjust the parameters to your vehicle.

My point is only that you lose all that adjustment when you go to manual (vs TCB) control of the treads. Two-stick control is manual control.

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”