Cant get esc to work

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
dane61
Lance Corporal

Cant get esc to work

Post by dane61 »

Im a noob regarding advanced rc. So you are warned :haha:

Im trying to set up an OP board for one of my tanks. I have turret traverse and gun elevation and servo recoil working.
But i cannot get the drive motors to work. I use cheap 20 amp esc, and i have cut the red wire as mentioned in the online guide. The esc’s have brake option, could that be the problem?
taigen tiger1 late ir
HL sherman 105mm BB
HL Sherman M4A3E4ish.BB
HL JP recoil, traverse.
HL M26 ir
HL KV1 ir
WsnT34 ir
HL KV2ish
HL Tiger1 early
HL Panzer IV, ir
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Re: Cant get esc to work

Post by LukeZ »

To help you solve your problem, I have to understand exactly what the problem is. When you say you can't "get the drive motors to work" what does that mean? Do they not move at all whatsoever? Do they move but not in the way you expect?

Having a brake option on the ESCs will definitely cause issues with turning and transitioning from forward to reverse. So you need to disable the brake mode or buy some ESCs that don' have brake or have the option to turn it off. But even with speed controllers that have brakes, the TCB can still send a signal to them and you should still see your drive motors turn. If you are getting absolutely no movement whatsoever then you have some other problem - perhaps you haven't specified ESC as the Drive Motor Type, or maybe your radio setup didn't complete properly, or maybe you have the ESCs plugged into the wrong RC output, or who knows.

Watch the red and green LEDs on the TCB. Do they indicate forward and reverse movement? If not check your radio setup. Note also that you need some function to start the engine before the TCB will even begin to move the motors.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
dane61
Lance Corporal

Post by dane61 »

Thanks for the reply.
The motors dont react at all. The red light on the esc keps flashing. I have tried with brakes on and brakes off, same result. The configuration is set to rc output.
I have no soundcard and no lights, so maybe its as simple as im not “starting” the tank. Will the turret work with “engine” stopped?
Attachments
187B2280-48BA-40E1-9B8D-3F659B3201AE.jpeg
taigen tiger1 late ir
HL sherman 105mm BB
HL Sherman M4A3E4ish.BB
HL JP recoil, traverse.
HL M26 ir
HL KV1 ir
WsnT34 ir
HL KV2ish
HL Tiger1 early
HL Panzer IV, ir
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Cant get esc to work

Post by midlife306 »

Yep turret works with engine off
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Think you have them wired backwards power in is the two outer wires one red one black. power out is the two inner wires one red one black, should be plug on output socket on input.

regards pete
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi have you connected the receiver correctly.

regards pete
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

I'm guessing you just aren't starting the engine. Do you have a channel on your radio assigned to start the engine? If not, that's your problem. Assign one, or set the engine to auto-start with throttle.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
dane61
Lance Corporal

Post by dane61 »

Succes.
Finally i got everything to work. Main problem is that i didnt undestand the green and blue arrow in the top right side of configuration. ( told you im a rc-noob)
Next is to build it into one off my tiger1’s.

Wishing the OP ( easy to use, and cheap :D ) soundcard to bee avaible soone.
taigen tiger1 late ir
HL sherman 105mm BB
HL Sherman M4A3E4ish.BB
HL JP recoil, traverse.
HL M26 ir
HL KV1 ir
WsnT34 ir
HL KV2ish
HL Tiger1 early
HL Panzer IV, ir

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”