Sabertooth motor Control Motors not moving

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Sabertooth motor Control Motors not moving

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Did somebody call me? Lol.

Sorry if I do a little offtopic here, we can create another thread to discuss.

First of all, one thing is the sound quality, quantity, lenght and volume a board can play, and another one are the sounds itself. The benedini (mikro and mini) I am afraid the board itself has not a lot of anything... If I remember right the mikro can play about 22 seconds, and the mini 91, in a 8 bit mono 22.000 hz quality. Nothing special, really. At least for me, those boards are OK for side small projects like the P-40 I am doing, a Kubelwagen or something like that, but not for a big tank.

I dont have all the data here, but I posted it somewhere in some forum, lol. Basically all the boards has an OK quality, but most of them lack in the amount of extra sounds it can play and in the lenght of them due to memory limitations...

At the other hand are the sounds itself, and there is where IMHO people seems to be confused and its where people thinks a board has better quality than other... You can gather sounds from youtube, movies, videogames, documentaries, or if you are lucky enought to go to a museum, from real life and take awesome and amazing sounds and play in for example the benedini mikro. Does it mean the benedini has amazing sounds? Not at all. The source of the sound or the job with the computer is what it is amazing, not the board itself. One example of what I mean is that you can play most of the sounds from one board in another. (Adjusting to the board limitations, of course)

And this is the poing that I am defending for years about the ASP 2 having the best sounds characteristics out there. It plays 220 sounds as long as you want, with CD quality, stereo and 30 Watts output. With a good speaker it really sounds like a home cinema. Due to the ASP 2 is no longer in production I can not recommend it anymore, but I think the next one in quality-lenght-quantity, would be the beier, but they are pricey.

If Herr Luke reads me (I am sure he will, lol), I'd be happy of having a sound board from him, and what I would like to have is to be able to play a lot of sounds as long as I want to. For me to have a HI-FI quality is not that important, but what it counts is as I said, to be able to play hundreds of sounds, musics and so on.

Said that, heading back to custom sounds, I've seen a tutorial from Stian somewhere, but if not I might do one myself and I will post it here in the forum. Making your own sounds is very rewarding, and for me is a hobby inside a hobby. Also I consider the tank sounds something very personal at the same level of the paint. I mean everybody should do his own sounds, but that does not mean that I wont share mine if I am asked to!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

jhamm wrote:Playing with accel/decel constraints and turn modes need time and many test drive.
I like to put accel and decel on two pots/sliders so I can adjust the level while driving, this is faster than constantly reloading new settings. When I know what level works best, I can save that to default and then those pots/sliders can be used for something else (Pro Tip: When you press the input button to dump debugging information, it will save the adjusted values to default so you don't even have to know what the accel/decel number is, just adjust using your pot, press the Input button, then remove the adjustment functions so they don't get changed).

I also like to put the 3 turn modes on a 3 position switch. I like all 3 for different kinds of driving. I usually also assign neutral turns to the same switch, I like to be able to do a spin turn in Turn Mode 1 but not in the other modes which are better for faster driving.

Personally I like very high levels of accel/decel for smooth driving, but this can be annoying in certain situations due to the lack of responsiveness. I might also set two different levels (Profiles) and put them on the same turn mode switch. You can actually cram a lot of stuff onto a single switch.

Everyone has different driving styles, these are some techniques that have worked for me.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

With regards to sounds, Herr Rad is quite right, the magic is in the sound files. This is actually good news for us because it means with the right talented people good sounds can be made and freely shared. When you examine the hardware on the Benedini, Asp, or even our own Open Panzer sound card, there is nothing very special about it. What we need are good sounds. I would love to have Stian make some sounds for our board but I think he is connected very closely with Clark...

Rad, I sent you a PM.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi Luke,
for the benedini mini, I have some useful good sound files created.
I get along with it better than with the Open Panzer Sound Card.
Converted sound files from Benedini or Elmod tend to crackle or oversteer on the Open Panzer sound card, you also have to lower the volume.
That's why I only use soundtracks from videos, the result is better but not more complex.

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”