Open Panzer and tamiya dmd

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
tomhugill
Captain

Open Panzer and tamiya dmd

Post by tomhugill »

Does anyone know if the open Panzer board will.work with a tamiya dmd formthe ESC portion it?
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Open Panzer and tamiya dmd

Post by c.rainford73 »

tomhugill wrote:Does anyone know if the open Panzer board will.work with a tamiya dmd formthe ESC portion it?
Tom I could be wrong but it appears the serial motor controls like the sabertooth and the esc that Open Panzer designed ( the Scout) are the only ones I know are compatible. You could use dual stand alone r/c controllers but I've not seen any mention of the Tamiya units
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Smaily
Private

Post by Smaily »

tomhugill wrote:Does anyone know if the open Panzer board will.work with a tamiya dmd formthe ESC portion it?
Here some info directly from OP Wiki regarding ESCs. I believe only limitation will be that TCB is designed for brushed speed controller. But someone more experienced should provide exact details.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

For clarification, the tamiya dmd is a 4 channel brushed ESC with an intergrated v tail mixer for the tracked drive and two 3a outputs for elevation and rotation. I don't think the elevation and rotation will have an issue. It was more if you can plug the two channel vtail part in.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Okay this may sound like a very obvious question but I'm asking you because to me it's not very obvious I'm setting up my open Panzer boards and I've got one of them connected up to my remote control and I've got the USB driver on my computer and the open configuration program is working fine my question is when you're going to set this board up are all the dip switches supposed to be off or on when I received the board's they both have all the switches in the on position I know that dip switch number 5 must be on while you're communicating through the USB cable to the computer anyone's help will be greatly appreciated I tried to find it on the open Panzer Forum but I cannot find it

It's really quite an interesting program by the way. The way to fine-tune these boards is unbelievable setting switches and such on your remote dialing in such intricate details is kind of new to me but the issue I'm running into is Im just not exactly sure if the switches are supposed to be moved or if they're supposed to remain on I know that a couple of the switches have to be changed when you're doing the programming for the servo from what I've been reading

Anybody's help will be greatly appreciated I'm getting close to having this finalized and I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi carl
An excellent question,
As I am in the same boat as it were, as I am also just setting up 2 boards and have managed to set them up to the complete radio set up stage with all the dip switches in the on position, as I too could not find anything about it.

It took ages for me to connect to the OP as the boards would not connect until I found out about the Snoop facility, then connected to that and then to full connect otherwise they would not connect even with the correct com ports....have you had any problems such as this ?.
Regards Sub.
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

Mine connected no problem, and I hadnt even read the Dipswitch settings. Its reading and writing OK too.
Initially I couldnt see the COM port but that sort of fixed itself. Now Im happily plugging in, tweeking and unplugging
All seems to work. One tip, power down the tank and then power it back up to confirm settings
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

. . .
For clarification, the tamiya dmd is a 4 channel brushed ESC with an intergrated v tail mixer for the tracked drive and two 3a outputs for elevation and rotation. I don't think the elevation and rotation will have an issue. It was more if you can plug the two channel vtail part in.
Sorry guys I didn't see this question earlier, I have just turned on notifications for this sub-forum so hopefully I will see these new threads going forward.

Tom that is a very interesting idea that I had not thought of, but yes, since the DMD accepts standard RC inputs it should work with the TCB. However as you point out the TCB is expecting to take care of track mixing itself, whereas the DMD is also expecting it will be the one to do it, so that will conflict. However if under "Vehicle Type" you select "Tank (Single drive motor + steering motor, eg DKLM)" then I believe it should work. This selection disables the track mixing in the TCB and lets the external device do it.

I have a DMD somewhere that I will rummage around and try to test out, but if you get to it first please let us know your results. I think it will be fine. If so I will update the documentation and maybe rename that Vehicle Type to something more generic like "Tank (external mixing)" or something like that.

As for using the DMD for turret motors that is straightforward as you have already intuited. Just select "RC Output" for the elevation/rotation motors and connect them straight to the DMD. Of course the TCB already has dual 2 amp ESCs built-in for the turret so you don't really need the DMD for that. But for models with multiple turrets it could come in handy!
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Carl and Sub sounds like your questions were already answered in the other thread so we can leave this one for discussing the DMD specifically. If you do have any more problems though please let me know in the other thread or feel free to start a new one.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi You could use a Tamiya T01 DMD its a old unit that they used to fit in the Sherman its just a twin ESC with mixer 2 channels . they are getting a bit like hens teeth but they pop up on ebay now and then, don't pay more than £30 plus postage.

regards pete

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”