Open Panzer and tamiya dmd

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Re: Open Panzer and tamiya dmd

Post by LukeZ »

Hi Tom, I dusted off my DMD T-08 and tested it with the TCB, it worked fine with the DKLM selection but I went ahead and created a new entry specifically for the DMD in the Vehicle Type drop-down on the Motors tab of OP Config, this gives me better control of how it is interfaced. (You will need to update to the latest version of OP Config and also flash the new firmware to your TCB.)

To connect to the TCB you will just plug in the DMD Rudder cable to TCB RC Output 1 and the DMD Throttle cable to TCB RC Output 2. But you must remember to remove the center pin from the servo cables before connecting to the TCB or you risk damaging one or the other. See this page for more details on why this is, including a photo of what I am talking about.

Because the DMD will be doing the track mixing, the TCB's various Turn Modes will not work and are disabled.

Also it is worth mentioning neutral turns (super spin). The DMD does allow neutral turns but the process is slightly different from the TCB behavior, my DMD T-08 performs spin turns under ~50% throttle when the steering is held all the way to the left or right (by comparison the TCB performs neutral turns when throttle is zero and steering is applied). I'm not sure if it's the same on the T-03 or T-01, but either way you will be able to perform whatever action the DMD will let you in whatever manner it requires.

As you mentioned it is also possible to use the other two outputs on the DMD for turret control, just connect them to the TCB's RC Outputs 3 and 4 (turret rotation and barrel elevation respectively).

Thanks for the good idea!
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”