Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Control Board

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Re: Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Control Boa

Post by tao »

Thanks I was hoping that..right now not only the whine but also trying to get a slow start up or turn isn't that easy to control with the RX-18. The 480 motors though are plenty strong. Would the 12 amp saber be sufficient? Thanks :)
Will also look into the TCB further as well.
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

I have not tested your exact motors but in all likelihood the 5 amp Sabertooth will be more than sufficient. Our tanks are geared down so low they draw very little current. Put an amp meter on them if you want to know for certain.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

You need to check the stall current on your motors specification and match to that.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Promax 480's- I wonder if anybody has checked this before? Sabertooth Dual 12A 6V-24V R/C Regenerative Motor Driver..seems this would
work as input is 6-24 volt and 12 amp (Not sure what RX 18 is but..it is currently driving the 480 track motors)
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Or maybe the 5 amp as LukeZ pointed out may suffice?
https://www.dimensionengineering.com/pr ... tooth2x5rc
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

As I said you need to check the manufactures information and find what the stall current is. Graupner speed 480s pull 31a. From personal experience I was able to force the overload protection set to 10A on my IBU3 to kick in when running my m36 on grass. I would say you want 15a if not 20a and use fuses too as most esc don't have them (unlike the ibu).

Does the Open panzer board have to use a dual esc with intergrated v tail like the dimention ones? Or can two of a single channel esc be used with the board doing the steering? If the latter brushless becomes and option.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Thanks Tom:)
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Based on your experience with the m 36 it seems as though the 12 x2 amp would be sufficient..thanks Tom :)

"Out of the box, it can supply two DC brushed motors with up to 12A each. Peak currents of 25A are achievable for a few seconds. Over-current and thermal protection means you'll never have to worry about killing the driver with accidental stalls or by hooking up too big a motor"

https://www.dimensionengineering.com/pr ... ooth2x12rc
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Luke;

So can the TCB essentially just plug in in place of my BARC unit? I have recoil and flash triggered by TBS right now
and as noted looking into the saber to drive tracks.

Thanks,

Tom
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I would want something bigger, 20a at least

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”