Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Control Board

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Control Boa

Post by c.rainford73 »

This is all very good information. Rad aside from the two functions you mention the Das mikro sound unit is almost completely functional with the TCB?

Sorry if I missed something
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

c.rainford73 wrote:This is all very good information. Rad aside from the two functions you mention the Das mikro sound unit is almost completely functional with the TCB?

Sorry if I missed somethingImage
Well, Herr Luke should be the one that will be able to answer you way better than me... I just discovered the dasmikro a couple of weeks ago, and I must confess I have no openpanzer boards, but dont tell anyone...

But as I said, the dasmikro works always, under all circunstances and with wathever you wire it because it is an independient unit. It can also be used to change the sounds in a tamiya tank.

So far, what I can tell you is you can have the sounds described in my thread (start, idler, rev up, moving, rev down, shutdown), cannon and machine gun perfectly synchronized with the open panzer board (or with a tamiya like I did) and you will also have another 12 extra sounds wich first needs to be selected with the radio.

And also you can have extra functions like the infinite light combinations. Id say it is not bad at all...

Edit: rainford, some post ago I told you I thought it was not possible to have the the cannon and machine gun sounds synchronized, but thats because I did not know the Prop 2 output existed. Sorry for the confusion!
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Smaily
Private

Post by Smaily »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:C.rainford:
Smaily:

You dont need any kind of support of anything to have the sounds synchronized with the functions at the open panzer board, well, at least for all the motors related, cannon shoot, machine gun and all of the 16 custom sounds...

But now I just remembered the barrel elevation and turret rotation sounds! I dont know if you can synchronize those sounds too, but Ill investigate!
This sounds fine to me if it work fine also with latest OP firmware. Sounds of barrel elevation and turret rotation are not so nice to me, as You will not hear those if You are outside of tank next to a running engine I believe, so that is not the case. Most important is running engine (maybe moving tracks sound), main gun and two MGs
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Rad this is very interesting. Let me understand, are you setting Prop 2 Type to "Function 1/2" and then using those two functions to trigger cannon and machine gun?

If so that is a clever idea and yes, with the TCB you could assign the cannon and machine gun functions to that same switch on your transmitter. Along with the engine sounds that are already compatible, this gives a basic sound package that is customizable.

If you are doing something else please let us know. Whatever we figure out, I will add instructions for it on the Wiki.

To be clear - technically speaking it is not that I am opposed to supporting the Micro. It is only that it only makes sense to support a single version of Benedini's TBS Flash, and naturally we have chosen to support his most recent version. It is Thomas's decision to remove support for the Micro from the new version of TBS Flash, which is understandable.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

LukeZ wrote:Rad this is very interesting. Let me understand, are you setting Prop 2 Type to "Function 1/2" and then using those two functions to trigger cannon and machine gun?

If so that is a clever idea.

YES! Thats exactly what I did and works! :D :D you can send me a OPB to keep experimenting, lol.

This is the thread I opened a couple of days ago. Probarbly nothing new for you...
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=24339
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Isn't it due to the obsolete firmware on the Das mikro?
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Thanks for the confirmation Rad. I don't actually own a Micro myself yet but I am going to do some experimenting and I will check out your other thread. It does seem as if users will be able to use the MIcro with the Open Panzer board and get a basic set of sounds. Along with the Taigen cards we are now starting to get more options.
tomhugill wrote:Isn't it due to the obsolete firmware on the Das mikro?
Tom, first there really is no such thing as a "Das Mikro." There is a Benedini Micro sound card, and clones of it sold under other names. The original and the clones all can be configured using Thomas Benedini's original Flash software. The firmware on the Micro works perfectly fine and isn't outdated. However Thomas has decided to add new features to the more powerful Mini and he released a new version of Flash in order to configure these new features. While the old version of Flash supported both the Mini and the Micro, the new version supports only the Mini. This makes sense because the new features would only work on the Mini anyway.

Both devices still work and nothing is outdated, the Micro was always more limited than the MIni anyway simply due to its hardware.

Some of the new features added to the Mini included expanded options that can be access specifically by the Open Panzer board, as well as a more simple integration of the two devices. Thomas graciously worked on these features specifically at my request. For that reason you will get the most functionality for the least effort if you use the Mini and the new version of Flash with our Open Panzer board, and I have not pursued integration of the Micro. However as Rad and others are testing it appears the Micro can still be used with the TCB, but with slightly reduced functionality.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for clearing it up.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hello.
A question for the experts.
It would appear that a couple of us have received boards that have all the dip switches set to on from the factory.
We know that dip switch 5 has to be on for configuring the board on the OP, should all the others be left to the on position until they need to be changed as I cannot find any info about the position of the dip switches until they are to be used in the Wiki.
any info.
PS my boards have factory installed mosfets with GFDMR on them ...I take it that these are the correct mosfets now on the boards.
regards
Sub.
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Hi Sub - only dipswitch 5 is important for configuration because it determines which communication port the board uses. When on, the board communicates over the USB connection, which is what most people will use. Only if you are using a bluetooth module would you want to turn dipswitch 5 to the off position.

The other switches can be in any position you want. The first two determine the vehicle's weight class, and the second two are used for configuring servo movements, see here in the Wiki for more information. If you don't plan on IR battle and aren't using servos to control your turret then you can ignore dipswitches 1-4 completely.

And yes - MOSFETs labeled with something starting in "G" are the correct ones. I'm glad to see Hobby King is now producing the correct boards directly from the factory rather than only selling refurbished ones from this summer.

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”