How to build a working IR Artillery Gun

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Re: How to build a working IR Artillery Gun

Post by LukeZ »

I just contacted Erik at Taigen and he confirmed there are indeed some differences in IR signal with the V2 board, so you are not imagining anything. I will need to do some testing to see if I can decode the new signals and add them to the Open Panzer project. This will take me some time, probably a few weeks at least. I'll report back when I've made progress or know more.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
sateng
Recruit

Post by sateng »

Sounds great Luke

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk
sateng
Recruit

Post by sateng »

LukeZ wrote:I just contacted Erik at Taigen and he confirmed there are indeed some differences in IR signal with the V2 board, so you are not imagining anything. I will need to do some testing to see if I can decode the new signals and add them to the Open Panzer project. This will take me some time, probably a few weeks at least. I'll report back when I've made progress or know more.
Hi Luke!
Just wanted to ask if you found a solution or do you have tips how to find the correct signal?

LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Hi Sateng,

You have convicted me! :) I finally pulled out the oscilloscope and all my other gear and took a look at the V2 IR signal. At least the one I have shows a signal identical to the V1, and I can also send and receive hits between the TCB and Taigen V2 using the Taigen IR setting in OP Config.

However I believe you when you say you are having problems. Other users have reported issues, for example here and here. In October of last year Erik indicated there might be multiple "versions" of the V2 and that some are not backwards-compatible in terms of IR (see this post). However in a personal conversation with Erik this April he was under the impression by then that maybe all V2 MFUs had a different signal. So it is very confusing.

The V2 that I have on hand and which I have just tested to be compatible, is an early production version that Erik sent me prior to their release, I did not purchase it through the usual channels.

As we know Taigen has not slowed down and have already released a V3 MFU only a few months after first announcing the V2. I have yet to hear a specific report on the IR compatibility of the V3 and I do not have one to test.

So again, I believe you when you say your V2 does not work. Without examining yours in person I can't say why not. Either it uses a different code or it is defective.

I wish I could help you more! But I think you are stuck.
sateng
Recruit

Post by sateng »

Thank you for all you research Luke!
Well I think when the weather gets worse again I try to work on this on my own.

But I dont think my board is defective as it can battle against V2 boars tanks ;)

If I make some progress I will let you know.
LukeZ wrote:Hi Sateng,

You have convicted me! :) I finally pulled out the oscilloscope and all my other gear and took a look at the V2 IR signal. At least the one I have shows a signal identical to the V1, and I can also send and receive hits between the TCB and Taigen V2 using the Taigen IR setting in OP Config.

However I believe you when you say you are having problems. Other users have reported issues, for example here and here. In October of last year Erik indicated there might be multiple "versions" of the V2 and that some are not backwards-compatible in terms of IR (see this post). However in a personal conversation with Erik this April he was under the impression by then that maybe all V2 MFUs had a different signal. So it is very confusing.

The V2 that I have on hand and which I have just tested to be compatible, is an early production version that Erik sent me prior to their release, I did not purchase it through the usual channels.

As we know Taigen has not slowed down and have already released a V3 MFU only a few months after first announcing the V2. I have yet to hear a specific report on the IR compatibility of the V3 and I do not have one to test.

So again, I believe you when you say your V2 does not work. Without examining yours in person I can't say why not. Either it uses a different code or it is defective.

I wish I could help you more! But I think you are stuck.
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Sateng, I've received some more boards to test, both V2 and V3. Apparently the V2 I already had was an early version and later production V2s (which you probably have) does indeed have a slightly different signal (which remains the same with V3).

The other difference is that there are now two versions of the Taigen's IR receiver. They are not labelled differently but you can tell the difference by looking at the bottom of the receiver and through the clear plastic case observe the color of the PCB inside. If the PCB is green that is the earlier receiver version (sold with all V1 and V2 boards and included with IR tanks). If the PCB inside is red that is the new receiver version (sold with V3 boards).

Some green PCB receivers may still be sold bundled with IR tanks but Erik tells me if you [url=https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-part ... /tag120098]buy the receiver separately from Taigen[/ulr] it will from now on only be the red PCB receiver. Confusingly the part number doesn't seem to have changed (120098) between green and red versions.

I have found the red PCB receiver works better for all board versions than the green one. Can you see which one you have?

I am going to make some slight coding changes which may or may not help your situation, I'll let you know when the update is posted. At the same time, if you don't have a red PCB Taigen IR receiver you may want to order one and see if that helps.
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

FYI, I've posted a new version of both OP Config and TCB firmware (v0.93.06). This new version adds a distinction in the IR selection box (on the Battle tab of OP Config) between the "Taigen (V1)" IR protocol and "Taigen (V2/V3)" for the newer motherboards. Try using this new protocol and see if makes a difference.
sateng
Recruit

Post by sateng »

Luke thanks alot for your effort!
I will try the new code probably till the end of the week and will let you know.

sateng
Recruit

Post by sateng »

LukeZ wrote:FYI, I've posted a new version of both OP Config and TCB firmware (v0.93.06). This new version adds a distinction in the IR selection box (on the Battle tab of OP Config) between the "Taigen (V1)" IR protocol and "Taigen (V2/V3)" for the newer motherboards. Try using this new protocol and see if makes a difference.

Luke you did a great job!
I can confirm that your changes work for the V2 Mainboard now.
The IR-Receiver I have for my tank has a red PCB, so fortunately the newer version.
Thank you very much!!!
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad we got it figured out!

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”