3D - printed Merkava tank

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Conor
Private

Re: 3D - printed Merkava tank

Post by Conor »

midlife306 wrote:Sure you can get warpage if you leave something out in the sun, but that problem only occurs when it’s sunny, the handful of days like that in the UK make the issue minor at best lol
I have a proper love hate relationship with tracks, they are one of the few things I do print In PETG & I’ve printed thousands in 1/16 & 1/6.
Cheers
Wayne

Edit, try using a wire brush on each track to aid cleanup after you’ve removed the supports Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is solid advice, I'll break out the wire brush!

I live on the continent at the moment and over here there's actual serious summers instead of moist desasters the UK gets.
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

Wasn't much visible progress in recent days, I was re-printing some parts that went wrong (the rear armour) and printing a lot of track (which may also need a re-print, extruder is being funky. Replacement on the way.)

Both left and right idler are now done, fake gearbox thing is attached, and the spring sides and return rollers are done on both sides. I have all the suspension arms printed and am working on completing those. I'm still waiting for the spring and the spring guide rods (those I had to order, with the Merkava having this external suspension and whatnot)

Top and frontal armour is next, then the side armour, then I'll start on the turret - the internals (all heng long parts for now) have already been ordered, but alas, may take a while to arrive.

Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

There's been a lot of things going on in recent days. I've managed to finish printing the tracks, upgraded my printer then decided to get myself a 2.4 Voron for my birthday :D

One track is done, the other one is printed but not yet assembled. Getting the track to print properly took a long long time.
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

I've started painting the machine somewhat. My modeling abilities don't allow a lot of colour, but I'm going to try a sand-coloured basecoat and then highlight hte details in black with a small brush.

I've also finished working on the tracks. 100 pieces for each, all linked up by hand.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=559

the reason why things haven't been moving very quickly here is that some days ago my printer broke, and I am waiting on spare parts now. however I will also be heading out to israel later this week so the machine is unlikely ot be fixed before I return.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

is it difficult to get the paint to stick to petg ?
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

john1970 wrote:is it difficult to get the paint to stick to petg ?
I used a plastic primer and from various scratch testing it seems to stick adequately.
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

Hey, I still exist. Tank is also still being built. I had to reprint half of it (because the design was optimized) and work got completely out of hand

this is the current status

Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Interesting

Also reading thru on paint, you can use an adhesion promoter for when using plastic primer, it does help it get a hook and make it more durable

I tend to use alot of primers on my own models and build it up through plastic, high build and then red oxide if German WW2 and then finally get to the paint layers.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

Slowly closing in on rollout. Need to get the gearboxes fixed up (I#m using HL electronics and the seller sent me the wrong type of gearbox) and the suspension needs work, which can only be done when there's weight on it.

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Coming along nicely.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “3D Printing”