3D printers recommendations

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Hey guys,

I'm opening a thread there so you can post what printers you use and the parts you get so it helps people to chose their printers.

I have 2 Anycubic resin printers, the Photon and the Mono X. Both are great the Photon, is really great to do small parts at a low cost but the mono is even better, while more expensive, you can print a lot of small parts at the same time (would would like to print thousand of tiny rivets in less than 10 min ? :D).

Finish are awesome, most of the time you dont need any sanding, sometimes you'll have to do a small sanding job with 400 or 500 sand paper (but most of the time it's because of the bad orientation of the part on the bed).

Here are some parts I 3D printed (recreating at half scale the filming model of a Return of the Jedi ship, this means I have to model and print at half the scale all the original kitparts they used to detail it, you can spot a 1/35 Tamiya Churchill Crocodile tank part in there ;). The half scale model is still big, 120cm long).

You can print everything with excellent details...

In addition to my resin printers I have an Anycubic Wash and Cure machine. It mades the cleaning process of the resin parts very easy and post cure with UV the parts in a matter of a few min (usually 2 to 4 min for small parts is more than enough).

I also use an Ultimaker (with PETG mostly) for big parts that requires no details.

So I have the
-Anycubic Photon which can be found for very cheap
-Anycubic Mono X for large print. It also print a lot faster.
-I've using the Anycubic Mono SE at work which has the same print volume than the Photon mostly but has the same kind of screen than the Mono X, which means it prints much faster.

Those 3 are great !

From what I've read the Elegoo printers are very good too, I let people post what they use.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: 3D printers recommendations

Post by Kaczor »

I have Prusa SL1 (bought for our club with city subsidy) - fanstastic printer, never failed me. But if I were to buy a printer again, I would choose one with a larger working area for the same money (or 4K model).
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I have 2 excellent Creality printers, A CR-10 with 300x300x400 print bed and a Creality Ender 3 Max with 300x300x340 print bed.

The CR-10 has been upgraded with a double gear filament feed which I installed about a year ago and it functions flawlessly. The printer is abourt 3 years old and is in frequent use. With regular maintenance it functions flawlessly and as anyone who follows my prints will know it produces excellent results. I have had print runs that run for 36 hours plus with no issues.

The Ender 3 Max is a new addition (cost £186 which is ridiculously cheap for the size of the print bed) and is still undergoing fine tuning. I will be upgrading the filament feed to double gear metal shortly to improve the filament feed which is a little sketchy because it has the standard plastic filament feed gear.

I can thoroughly recommend both printers as excellent value for money and reliable units.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Thanks for your contribution Alwyn, I've heard ton of good things regarding the CR-10 !
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Elegoo Saturn for me since i want bigger pieces. Very happy so far! ;D
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

I have:-
1 x Creality Ender 3 with silent board & direct drive for flex filament
2 x creality Ender 3 v2’s
1 x creality cr10 S4 400 x 400 x 400mm
1 x creality cr10 S5 500 x 500 x 500mm
1 x Elegoo Mars 2 resin
1 x Elegoo Saturn resin
And a couple of other rubbish ones that I don’t know why I’ve kept them..
Keeps me busy lol
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Creality Ender 3 v2 for fdm is a great piece of kit.

Elegoo Mars for resin, but is small.

I wouldn't do structural parts with resin, too brittle.
I would fdm structural parts and design with orientation and shape for the loads expected.

My CR10s4 and s5, are great, but I couldn't recommend as highly as an Ender 3 unless of course you knew you were printing big things. They are my least used printers.
Wayne, Alwyn, Frank & Martin are to blame for me picking up 3dp lol
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Will01Capri wrote:Creality Ender 3 v2 for fdm is a great piece of kit.

Elegoo Mars for resin, but is small.

I wouldn't do structural parts with resin, too brittle.
I would fdm structural parts and design with orientation and shape for the loads expected.

My CR10s4 and s5, are great, but I couldn't recommend as highly as an Ender 3 unless of course you knew you were printing big things. They are my least used printers.
Wayne, Alwyn, Frank & Martin are to blame for me picking up 3dp lol

There are UV resins that are suitable for mechanical parts. They are a bit pricey (up to 300€/kg], there are also rubber like UV resins that give awesome result, ideal to make tires with fine sculpts and maybe track rubber pads :)
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

LOL. I must be the only one who went the Flash Forge Dreamer route for FDM (with magnetic mounted glass bed). Not a huge build volume, but plenty big for what I do (and already enclosed for ABS printing). Other than worn out/plugged nozzles, never had any issues with the FF Dreamer.

I have am Anycubic Photon S and a Wash & Cure station for resin.
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

I have an FLSUN QQ-S (delta type FDM), an Artillery Sidewinder X-1 (classic FDM), an Anycubic Photon S (Resin) and since the beginning of this month a Creality Halot One (Resin mono). My QQ-S is my high-speed quick prototype monster, after a lot of tweaking I got my Sidewinder to do what I want (still not perfect tho) and the Photon S was my venture into resin about 18 months ago, and after a few weeks of playing with it it stood unused until about a month ago.

Now the Halot One was a pleasant surprise. A lot easier to use and the interface is awesome. Changing your settings for the resin on the printer without having to re-slice your file? Yes please! And it was cheap!!! For anyone interested (and on mainland Europe in the EU... The price on Banggood is a bit of a steal...

https://www.banggood.com/Creality-3D-Ha ... 1&ID=47184
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....

Return to “3D Printing”