1/12 Scale Hetzer

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Re: 1/12 Scale Hetzer

Post by Marco Peter »

Spinnetti wrote:I've got a Prusa MK3S for FDM and a Elegoo Saturn for resin. I had a Mars but sold it and got a Saturn for the bigger print size and higher resolution. The FEP is too sticky though, and I have yet to get a good print off it. Eventually though. Do you have Armortek? Amazing things those... when I have a machine shop again, I'll probably do a few like that in 1/6 scale with a welded steel hull (I'll have the parts laser cut) . Will have to dust off my TIG welding skills too.
Elegoo Saturn for me too, sold my Elegoo Mars 2 Pro after 6 weeks for the larger buildplate! :-)

And Armortek... Yes... ;D
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Spinnetti
Private

Post by Spinnetti »

Differential in, tons of tweaks, figuring out the steering brakes now.
Attachments
Progress 20210618.15.jpg
Progress 20210618.15.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 502 times
1/6 Sd.Kfz. 2 Kettenrad
1/12 Jagdpanzer 38t Hetzer (Scratch build)
1/12 FMS Kubelwagen
1/16 HL Jagdpanther
1/16 HL Panther
Spinnetti
Private

Post by Spinnetti »

Steady progress... Every feature I add, I realize I had something else not exactly right... rolling waves of updates, and lots more to go I'm sure but happy with progress, especially the steering brakes.
Attachments
Progress 20210624.24.jpg
Progress 20210624.23.jpg
Progress 20210624.23.jpg (86.21 KiB) Viewed 470 times
1/6 Sd.Kfz. 2 Kettenrad
1/12 FMS Kubelwagen
1/16 HL Jagdpanther
1/16 HL Panther
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Spinnetti wrote:The FEP is too sticky though, and I have yet to get a good print off.
Try Rain-X on the fepImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spinnetti
Private

Post by Spinnetti »

midlife306 wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:The FEP is too sticky though, and I have yet to get a good print off.
Try Rain-X on the fepImageImageImage

I'll give that a go, thanks.. what about wd40 or any other kind of oil? I would think that any of that stuff would mix in with the resin?
1/6 Sd.Kfz. 2 Kettenrad
1/12 FMS Kubelwagen
1/16 HL Jagdpanther
1/16 HL Panther
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

You wouldn’t wipe them on your windscreen though

Spinnetti
Private

Post by Spinnetti »

Coming together well... Differential has a ton of break away torque. Nothing but to test it. I have a metal gear servo for it, will see how it goes. Need to reprint with adjustments for motor mount and servo mount. I'll probably need to make some kind of modular mount so I don't have to reprint every time I may want to use a different motor or servo but just reprint the mount itself to go on top of a sub-plate.... Hmmm. Off to do that now lol.....
Attachments
ye2mGUAmTz2CJ9xoYAygDg.jpg
1/6 Sd.Kfz. 2 Kettenrad
1/12 FMS Kubelwagen
1/16 HL Jagdpanther
1/16 HL Panther
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, what kind of motor is this ? It looks so tiny for a 1/12 tank. I think you will need to upgrade to something more powerful very soon, specially if you are designing the drive train to use brakes for steering. I am intrigued by your design but worried at the same time. In any cases, we will see what will happen and that makes your build interesting.
Spinnetti
Private

Post by Spinnetti »

lmcq11 wrote:Hi, what kind of motor is this ? It looks so tiny for a 1/12 tank. I think you will need to upgrade to something more powerful very soon, specially if you are designing the drive train to use brakes for steering. I am intrigued by your design but worried at the same time. In any cases, we will see what will happen and that makes your build interesting.
Thanks... Its just what i had laying around. bear in mind that a 1/12 hetzer is about the same size as a 1/16 Panther and those have crappy little brushed motors and this is brushless and really geared down. I'm an engineer, and nothing here I can't do :) I'll try it with what I have, and upgrade from there; No point in buying new parts until then though I'll probably end up with something twice that size I imagine. I am using steering brakes and they do have a lot of drag, though the diff is very smooth for straight forward motion. I wish I had some idea on how to calculate the required power without a crazy amount of work. I'm going back through now and standardizing al the fasteners. Looks like I'll have about 3-5 basic ones to cover it. The hull halves are keyed and self aligning, so that should work good. I also made it so the top flanges will slide on riding on a keyed slot for alignment and stiffness. Pretty happy with it overall. Once I get the powertrain all debugged I'll start on the superstructure. I found some more good documentation, so did some overall minor revisions too.
1/6 Sd.Kfz. 2 Kettenrad
1/12 FMS Kubelwagen
1/16 HL Jagdpanther
1/16 HL Panther
tankme

Post by tankme »

lmcq11 wrote:Hi, what kind of motor is this ? It looks so tiny for a 1/12 tank. I think you will need to upgrade to something more powerful very soon, specially if you are designing the drive train to use brakes for steering. I am intrigued by your design but worried at the same time. In any cases, we will see what will happen and that makes your build interesting.
Yeah, I looked at the mount and the motor and thought the same thing. When I scratch build tanks, there tends to be a lot of re-engineering since things don't tend to work out the way I see them in my head as I am not a mechanical engineer. I do end up getting them to work though one way or another... :) Having broken motor mounts in my tanks due to the torsional stresses of the motors, I have learned to overbuild everything as the forces of motion in tanks tend to be quite large.

All of my scratch built tanks have ended up with a dual motor setup as it is the simplest method of control of the two tracks. I do understand that you are trying to make this tank act like the real thing which is why you chose the "breaking one track" method. I have found that it can be done with electronic methods, but it doesn't 100% percent replicate the motion of using a brake on one track. I do hope you can get it worked out as it will be a cool build.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “3D Printing”