M1 Abrams turret detail

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
tc9571
Recruit

M1 Abrams turret detail

Post by tc9571 »

I'm currently working on the details I can design and print for the Abrams.

The turret detail for the Heng Long and other 1/16 scale M1a2 Abrams.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4845458
jarndice
Colonel

Re: M1 Abrams turret detail

Post by jarndice »

I am sure many of us would be interested but first I would ask that you go to the INTRODUCTION page and tell us about yourself Such as,
Where in the world you are and what got you interested in this hobby, Do you have any 1/16 r/c armour?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: M1 Abrams turret detail

Post by tankme »

I think it's admirable that you want to produce items and put them out for others. That being said, you might want to figure out what you are creating to make it more accurate. Those little "L" shaped things on the front of the Abrams are basically Velcro so they are very thin (like a 1mm in height). They are there for the CIP (Combat Identification Panel) to attach to. The plates are able to be flipped over which is why one side says, "THIS SIDE ON" and the other side says "THIS SIDE OFF." Why would they turn them around like that you may ask? The CIP panels are covered in a thermal tape that is pretty fragile. While in combat they set them in the "THIS SIDE ON" to be identified as friendly. When they are not in combat they turn the panels over to "THIS SIDE OFF" to protect the fragile nature of the tape. Being that those "L"s are so thin, they are better represented by black electrical tape or even a decal.

This page describes them very well: https://www.psmagazine.army.mil/News/Ar ... oper-care/

Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “3D Printing”