STL repository.

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Jarlath
Corporal

Re: STL repository.

Post by Jarlath »

Will01Capri wrote:It is hard to find good quality stl files. But although it may be hard, I can understand why and in a way, I think I like it that way.

I think alot of people dont understand the level of work that goes into producing a high quality 3d cad model.

If quality stl files were freely available it would take away from those who are building top quality models. There's delicate balance for sure.
This is true. I have likely 250+ hours of design and testing just into my Compact Recoil Units alone. Let alone my cost associated with prototyping along the way.
I've built and scrapped probably four dozen rough working models (Saving & reusing parts as I can) and durability tested another dozen final products.
(I'm still tweeking for the next generation version).
  • I initially model a very precise model and convert to STL
  • print to determine the actual print dimensions since ABS shrinks, and the volume of shrinkage depends on the sizes of the built item
  • Adjust model to compensate for shrinkage & convert to STL
  • Print and Measure again
  • repeat previous two steps until print is proper dimensions.
  • At some point you need to assemble the products together and determine fit/form/function is working properly.
  • If lucky (not likely) you succeed on the first try. If not repeat from step one any changes that need to be made
The trouble is that I'm always improving the design (IMO anyways) for the next generation version so the changes are ever ongoing.
However, the above list is also the reason why I have never posted any of my STL files. That is because every single one has been tweaked to print on my printer for ABS so my STL files may/may not work for others and I'm not going to post a file that will cause me negative feedback because the DL'd print doesn't fit properly.

That also happens to be one of the reasons I rarely even look at Thingverse or these other STL repositories as most are either for resin printers or for PLA FDM printers, which I do not use (I'm not resetting and re-tweeking my settings for a few prints in PLA, just to switch back for production. My personal choice.)

I know it comes off as a rant, but I see 3D printed recoil/elevation kits on Ebay and cringe at the engineering behind them, let alone their prices.
Hoover
Recruit

Post by Hoover »

Found this site the other day. The Humber is free and he has a few paid models with assembly guides and I'm going to buy the KT2

https://3dtisk-rc-modely.webnode.cz/en/
Biasphere1
Lance Corporal

Post by Biasphere1 »

Been not very well so haven't printed or posted but yea I've just bought the Tiger 2 from that site, got some Sd card and octopi issues at the mo so I may have to go see a tech.Will kick on real soon though.
But yea I know that guy is here on the site and I would love to talk to him mainly about making a JS-1 into a JS-2 to fight my KT.
I'd like to scale up the KT to 1/6 and also build the Corony 1/6 Hetzer.
This is anawesome pastime.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hoover wrote:Found this site the other day. The Humber is free and he has a few paid models with assembly guides and I'm going to buy the KT2

Sadly that link doesn't appear to work anymore :thumbdown:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Hoover wrote:Found this site the other day. The Humber is free and he has a few paid models with assembly guides and I'm going to buy the KT2

Sadly that link doesn't appear to work anymore :thumbdown:
Looks like it was updated. https://www.3dprintedtanks.com/
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Cool, thanks for the working link :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Nice thread. Although i dont gave a printer yet ibam looking around for files to print and make a small repositiry fir myself.

I found on the site of rctanksaustralia.com some free stl files for download. Petrol drums etc. I dont know the quality of course.
They require you to give your emailaddress to diwnload.
Regards,
Jaap :wave:

Return to “3D Printing”