The 3D Printer Thread

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: The 3D Printer Thread

Post by Will01Capri »

Wowser, damn thats good, i be well chuffed if i could print figures to that quality. Nice work
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

To anyone looking for an inexpensive 3d printer, I have just ordered one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Printer-C ... 2749.l2649

Now this manufacturer doesn't have great reviews but at that price £128 including postage) it has to be a steal. Even if I have to get creality parts to fix it up, it is still small money considering I paid over £350 for my CR-10S! :O I was considering buying a Creality Ender 3 pro but that would have been £200 for a very much smaller printer, this way I get two print beds the same size (ok call me greedy!)

I'll let you know how it goes

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

I sorted out another long term project finally
Getting thru a large backlog of projects, but this BergeTiger conversion for HL turret base works really nicely.

Utilises the original turret with box cut off and there is blanking alte that also acts as support for the winch mechanism

The winch actually works by turning the handles, although i will be making another version which will have servo winch hidden inside for more RC action.
The original HL barrel elevation is used to lift the lift beam.

The lifting parts are all reinforced with steel internal and the rotating parts have bushes and bearings for smoother operation.

The next version of this will be a completely 3D printed turret assembly where i wish to correct the Mantlet pivot position to be correct and also fix some HL issues with the turret size as it is a little wrong.
So maybe will have a new standard HL turret on the back of that aswell in time. Should get a video up of it being operated at somepoint.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I received the printer today and duly unpacked and assembled it

There are a few items to note:

1. The Y axis end stop is a faulty design and doesn't allow the bed to fully retract. I had to apply a McGiver adjustment to solve the problem

2. The micro-sd card reader is very iffy - a reported problem on this printer. I fixed this with a micro sd to sd extension cable which solved the problem

3. The setup instructions are crap and incomplete. The Z axis end stop comes loose in the box with no instructions on how and where to fit it, luckily I had my CR-10s for reference so quickly resolved that item. There is no mention of adjusting the X and Y drive band tensions and they were just loose, also no mention of tightening the rollers on the base of the print bed. The other thing missing is advice to level the X axis bar before setting the printer up, failing to do this would ensure a complete inability to level the bed and print properly.

4. The printer comes with tiny crappy little bed level adjuster knobs and I luckily had the foresight to order a set of large knobs/springs/screws from Amazon.

5. There is an annoying whistle somewhere on the printer which I haven't had the time or patience to track down - that's a job for later

6. The filament feed mechanism leaves something to be desired and I have received an aluminium dual gear feeder mechanism from Amazon but haven't fitted it yet - definitely a good idea to replace this.

Otherwise the printer is fairly solidly constructed and the general component quality looks comparable to the Creality other than the items mentioned

I'll post an update if I find any other nasty surprises.

UPDATE

Another nasty surprise, the rollers on the X axis extruder mount are crap, the bearing inner diameter is 5.2mm and should be 5mm, no wonder the x-axis wasn't running smoothly. Just ordered a new set of rollers from amazon. :'( >:< :crazy:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Wow! Sounds like a lot of repairs are required to make it work correctly. I wonder why the poor quality control? Good thing you’re quite the engineer.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I must admit I expected to have a few problems given the price of £128 including postage compared to £300 plus for the equivalent Creality printer. Luckily all the things I have found so far are easily fixable and cheap. Basically I was looking for the frame/mechanism that I knew I could upgrade/fix.

Lord help any inexperienced person new to 3d printing who thought this was a plug and play! :haha: :haha: :crazy:

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Still bloody good value Alwyn, even after fixing the issues, I’d be replacing all the rollers to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yes replacing all the rollers is my cunning plan. I suspect there will be more gremlins before I'm done but at the price it's still a great buy, you just need to anticipate what you are walking into and make sure you test everything. ;) 8O :crazy:

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

This printer is an unmitigated piece of crap and as it stands it will be impossible to achieve any sort of decent print. I can't even achieve a stable and level print base because the rollers under the print bed are rubbish and therefore any movement of the bed is unstable

Here are their rollers on the left and the replacement is on the right.
Their rollers are single bearing and 5.2mm internal diameter, the replacement is a double bearing which is 5mm. If I replace the roller then I have to resize the plastic shims on either side of the roller and that is a monster task which involves completely stripping and rebuilding the printer.

I have contacted the supplier and told them I want my money back and for them to arrange collection of their printer, and am waiting for a response. If I don't get a sensible reply I will open a complaint with ebay.

Please do not buy this or any CTC printer, there is a reason they are the price they are which is shoddy materials and quality control coupled with bad design which is stupid because they copied the Creality VERY BADLY!

I will advise on the outcome

Alwyn :'( 8O :crazy:

Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

AlwynTurner wrote:This printer is an unmitigated piece of crap and as it stands it will be impossible to achieve any sort of decent print. I can't even achieve a stable and level print base because the rollers under the print bed are rubbish and therefore any movement of the bed is unstable

Here are their rollers on the left and the replacement is on the right.
Their rollers are single bearing and 5.2mm internal diameter, the replacement is a double bearing which is 5mm. If I replace the roller then I have to resize the plastic shims on either side of the roller and that is a monster task which involves completely stripping and rebuilding the printer.

I have contacted the supplier and told them I want my money back and for them to arrange collection of their printer, and am waiting for a response. If I don't get a sensible reply I will open a complaint with ebay.

Please do not buy this or any CTC printer, there is a reason they are the price they are which is shoddy materials and quality control coupled with bad design which is stupid because they copied the Creality VERY BADLY!

I will advise on the outcome

Alwyn :'( 8O :crazy:
Excellent advice, i have to say i saw your initial post and that was enough to put me off straight away haha.
Good on you for trying, but yes don't touch with a barge pole.

Good thing about buying on ebay is you can always recover your money through the buyer protection and if that fails you can normally pull it up on paypal.
i always make sure my PayPal is through credit card aswell so if they act like _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ then i just get money back from CC.

Thanks for sharing
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “3D Printing”