The 3D Printer Thread

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: The 3D Printer Thread

Post by Will01Capri »

Coming along, the limber is almost sorted
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

so you are doing 3D printable horses for us then? Awesome! :thumbup: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Tiger6 wrote:so you are doing 3D printable horses for us then? Awesome! :thumbup: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Errrr nope lol. I going to convert to have a tow hitch for truck. Just tell the driver to take it easy lol
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Anyone got any good ideas about replacement PC4 M6 & M10 connectors for ptfe tube?
i am going through them quickly and wondered if they are better quality and triead and tested connectors any of you guys have used with good success.

I have an Ender 3, but i guess the fittings are universal i guess over many printers.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Have you tried locking them with a tie wrap ,i found mine kept slipping out but after putting a tie wrap on never let go again.

regards pete
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

971wright wrote:Have you tried locking them with a tie wrap ,i found mine kept slipping out but after putting a tie wrap on never let go again.

regards pete
The wrap and even the little c clips don't help. The movement is very minor, but enough for the pla to stick between the nozzle and the gap created between that and the tube. I have replaced the connectors again, but it keeps happening over time.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Will01Capri wrote:Anyone got any good ideas about replacement PC4 M6 & M10 connectors for ptfe tube?
I have an Ender 3, but i guess the fittings are universal i guess over many printers.
Have a look on Amazon for replacements - the ones Creality ship with have plastic teeth in the bite fittings, where as Amazon have ones with metal teeth.
They will still chew thru the PTFE tube over time, but they do go longer than the stock ones.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

New Finished Work
Too many projects haha

Some have seen the HL 230 Tiger engine i copied off a part that was kindly gifted to me

However for people wanting an early version HL 210 engine with the triple filters, this is now mostly done also

Yes i can also do versions with mad exhausts & superchargers etc if required. We can also play with exhaust manifolds if we want to make a 8 cylinder engine which looks similar haha
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Awesome :D :D :D
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

I think i may have come up with a way to help smooth 3D printed parts well easy!
One of the thing that bugs me alot is having to sand anything haha, i just hate sanding/polishing anything!

On curved objects unfortunately it has to be done, even if you are printing high res like <0.1mm layers.
I try to print everything 0.06-0.15 and just wait impatiently haha.

Anyway, i found that if i give the parts a quick clean with a file or knife to remove flashings/support i then Prime the item with Plastic Primer.
Then as long as i haven't coated it badly i can then use a PolyUrethane Clear Varnish meant for wood. It does react a little with the primer, but as long as you are careful it sets nicely. Obviously continued coats will smoothen and make a thicker coating. But it really does smooth out layer lines!
I am now going to trial various types of enamel, acrylic and cellulose paints over the top to test how far i can go with it, but it certainly appears alot cheaper method than shelling out for this 2 part resin stuff people have been speaking of to smooth prints. I have to be honest, i didn't think it would work, i thought it may peel. But obviously it sinks nicely into the grain of the print and has a mechanical adhesion.

I will test how strong it is on some flexible parts

I have to say i tried this because i was sick and tired of sanding but also priming several layers with steadily thicker and higher build paints. It was starting to cost a small fortune to get enough paint on the part to smooth it out.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “3D Printing”