Prusa 3D SLA resin printer

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Prusa 3D SLA resin printer

Post by rochesb »

For those of you with deep pockets....... at £1439

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers ... a-sl1.html

or in kit form for £300 less

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers ... 1-kit.html
Pak36
Private

Re: Prusa 3D SLA resin printer

Post by Pak36 »

This is the next generation of 3D printing.

UV curing resin will give much better detail, and allow faster prints..as you are printing the whole bed in one hit, so can print multiple parts at the same time without an increase in time to print. Give it a few years, and these will probably get to be affordable. There are already some cheaper ones out there....but read the pain if the software doesn't work....
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Prusa is one of the pioneers of SLA printing, and I've heard some very good things about them. Now I just need deeper pockets!! Of course, with deep enough pockets there's also the formlabs printers, another very good brand.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

I was saving up for a Prusa i3 printer when along came the Ender 3 which was highly recommended on this forum otherwise I would have still been saving. Prusa are expensive but seem to have decent after sales support when you eventually get your hands on their products :/ . They have a very active forum too, unlike some vendors.

One thing I don't like though is their business model, where the customer is expected to pay in full up front (& they don't accept paypal) for a product on a long lead time. In the past this has been several months from order to delivery for their latest products. They are also renowned for decommitting on back-order delivery dates for their latest products, which suggests they are not very good at matching demand vs supply, but they wouldn't be the first to do that would they?

As always buyer beware.
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

I have a Wanhao D7 DLP printer and the results are amazing.

It was a v1.4 beta version I upgraded to v1.5 (which is the final release version) and was only £450 two years ago.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Woz, since they still have issues with the D8 I've decided to buy a D7 to get started. Any advice? Where to get one from here (Detroit) the best resins, etc, etc. I want to do tires, any brand of resin you like for that? Sources? I've seen the great things y'all are doin' with resin and I can't wait to get into it, but i don't have the budget for something like a Formlabs so that's one more reason I'm so bummed I couldn't make the LD-001 work. I'm really just waiting for you to get a D8 and say it's safe for a Gomer like me and then I'll pick one up. Anyway, the D7 is proven and I'm going to get one this week, so any help or tips you can offer will be put to good use. 8) :thumbup:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

The D7 is controlled via a PC or a Raspberry Pi running nanodlp. Running from a PC means you can't use the PC while you print and setting up a Raspberry Pi can get complicated.

The D7 plus costs a bit more but has a built in controller so it's easier to set up and run.

I use wanhao resin for most of my parts, can't remember what makes of flexable resin I used (I'm away from home for the next week).

I got my printer straight from Wanhao but the upgrade parts I got from Wanhao UK.

I'm in the UK so have no idea where you'd get your printer. A US based reseller may cost more but would be better if there's any problems and you won't get stung by any surprise taxes.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Good info, Woz, thank you. It just so happens I've decided to also get a new PC so perhaps I could dedicate this one to the new printer. Lots to think about. I'l look around for U.S. based sellers. 8)

Return to “3D Printing”