New 3D printer to the fold! ARRIVED!

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: New 3D printer to the fold! ARRIVED!

Post by wibblywobbly »

Will01Capri wrote:
wibblywobbly wrote:Got to admit that when I started this 3D printing lark I almost felt guilty for not using traditional styrene. Since then whenever I need anything I just fire up Openscad, design a part, export it to Cura, save it to SD card...and hit print. There are so many things that a printer can print that would be impossible to fashion from styrene that I couldn't live without it now. :thumbup:
I think i know that now :)

Question, i notice you had Nebelwurfer for download on thingverse, but when i download and open, it is not able to find in Cura or Slic3r. I think it was an scad, how can i open in the above programs?
I thought it would be cool to try and remake a playscene in MOH(i think it was Medal Of Honour), one area that i found incredibly difficult to get past in the old PC game haha. I want to have that section remade in my garden course haha
Its lucky that I saved the scad file on Thingiverse as I no longer have it on my pc.
To print the parts is easy.
Download Openscad its free.
Download the scad zip.
Unzip it.
Run Openscad.
File>Open the Nebelwurfer scad file.
Scroll to the bottom.

Each part has // in front of it.
This tells Openscad to ignore that part.

So, go through each part in turn, simply add // to the part you have just printed, and delete it from the next part.
Each time you want to create a new STL for each part, just press CTRL+S, then F5, then F6. Then click on the STL button at the top.
Change the part name to the current part or they will all be called Nebelwurfer.STL.

If you get stuck, just shout.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Many thanks for that, i will look into it.
Need to learn Openscad now aswell haha

My Radial Diesel 8 cylinder is now just about complete with a 540 fitted within! Mad!
Now i need to print some 2 or 3mm pitch pulleys so i can run belt drive to a transfer case! ;)

ImageFaux engine has a 540 motor mounted within. Looks sweet! by Will Pattinson, on Flickr

Was a little scared of taking a holesaw to the back, but it worked out ok
ImageFaux engine has a 540 motor mounted within. Looks sweet! by Will Pattinson, on Flickr

I am really pleased how it looks. I had it all painted up and shiny, then took some black spray to whoosh over it to make it look dirty. I am adding some grease to it aswell so it has the really oily greasy look. Or i may try to make globs of shiny glue and paint with gloss to give that type of appearance.
Still waiting for a smoker to arrive which is being plumbed into the exhaust ring.
Alot of pulling power in the brushed motor aswell.

The hard bit is going to be mounting it in the thing i mounting it in!
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

So the next cool thing is i phoned my wfe at home. Said can you fire up the printer. Talked her through how to start it up, get it ready and load the files and she has only gone and got it started!
Good girl.

I know she could do it, but now it means on Non-nursery days she can get prints started and keep on top of a worklist to up the productivity of the printer. Wohooo!
I then jokingly said i bought another 10 printers to run a print farm and she was like NO hahahahahha
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

My God I like that radial.
I have no use whatsoever for one, but its just so cool I feel its a 'have-to-have'....... :think:

Surely you could do the top of a Tiger engine !! :shifty: ..............or ya Mrs could ? ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

HERMAN BIX wrote:My God I like that radial.
I have no use whatsoever for one, but its just so cool I feel its a 'have-to-have'....... :think:

Surely you could do the top of a Tiger engine !! :shifty: ..............or ya Mrs could ? ;)
Tiger engine easy. Need time haha and detailed pics and some basic measurements.

The Radial is going into a Rat Rod I making ;)
But I think maybe some more designing and we could make an engine for a radial Sherman ;)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Call to General Public....................GET THAT MAN A TIGER ENGINE DRAWING !!!!!!
Now I know that this printing caper is not easy........if it was, we would all be doing it, but those that do, make it SEEM easy !! :lolno:
Does anyone out there have the "stuff" it takes to supply Mr Capri with the details required to produce the top- visible half of a Tiger 1 or indeed a Tiger 2 engine so we mortal numpties can mock one up under our respective engine hatches on the rear deck of a Tiger 1/2 !!

Outside of a Hachette Tiger weekly edition engine at a bagillion dollars, this would be a welcome addition to most jokers German tank models I reckon ;)

Whadayareckon lads ??

I quote the film 'Ferris Beullers Day Off'................."Anyone? Anyone ?"......... :shifty: :shifty:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
*rakey*
Recruit

Post by *rakey* »

Hi guys,
I printed a couple of Tiger engines about a year ago, this is the one i scaled down but I thinks it's still too big. Found the files on thingiverse, I'm sure. Interesting model because you can also print it in separate parts ie, block, cylinder heads, crankshaft etc. I printed mine as one piece but if I was brave enough, in theory, I should be able to prise it apart into its separate components. I still have the file on a printer at work, I'll see if I can download it and send it to anyone who's got the nerve to give it a go. Took me a while to perfect the crankshaft as the contact area is so small, many adjustments and bed fixatives later I managed to print an engine in pieces. Unfortunately, it's not 1/16.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
If i'd of kept all the money i'd already spent,
I'd have been a millionaire a long time ago
*rakey*
Recruit

Post by *rakey* »

Few more pics, sorry for separate posts, I'm a technical retard!
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
*rakey*
Recruit

Post by *rakey* »

Think I worked it out, all by myself! 8|
Few more pics of block etc which are the same size as first pic, other one is the bigger one, about 9.5cm long and 7cm wide by 7.5cm tall. My patience or my nerves gave up at this point!
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

COOL!
Saves me some CAD if you still got the files.
I will be slicing it for the top anyway, that looks superb
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “3D Printing”