Cura feature

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
wibblywobbly
Major

Cura feature

Post by wibblywobbly »

If anyone has been looking at the JS3 build, you will be aware of this, but I am adding it here for good measure.

Sometimes a part has very thin walls, in this case a scanned turret had a pair of hatches about a micron thick. They looked solid in rendered images, but would not have printed very well. I tried numerous programs to thicken the surface but none worked as the inner surface was inaccessible.

I then looked at Cura, and the Mesh fixes option.

What this does is fill holes in the mesh, so I wondered whether it would work on the hatches. I loaded the turret.stl into Cura, and sank the turret into the bed so that only the hatches would print, and then selected all of the options in the Mesh fixes menu. To my amazement it worked. It printed the hatches and the surround as a 100% solid object.
IMG_20180413_074851.jpg
IMG_20180413_074859.jpg
Later in the day I printed a turret ring, but forgot about the settings...this is the result, but it just goes to show how powerful this little feature is.
IMG_20180413_074204.jpg
IMG_20180413_074211.jpg
It completely filled the middle!

So if you are trying to print something that is hollow and you want a solid part, that Mesh fix menu may save the day.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “3D Printing”