Adventures in 3d printing tyres

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Adventures in 3d printing tyres

Post by 971wright »

Hi I have a CR10 ,total beginner to 3D printing and cad design .OK everyone says the CR10 is idiot proof , wrong I have had 3 miss prints it wasn't the machine that cocked up but me when setting up print in cura. forgot to tick the build frame on two of them and adhesion on one . this was to some of my early prints since then have always checked the boxes.Its all part of the leaning curve.
So far not had a problem with the printer

regards pete
Springman65
Recruit

Post by Springman65 »

Thanks Guys!

I guest, after looking at them, I really want the CR10-5s....but, I am going to target the CR-10s, as i just don't have the space for the 5s monster (GRIN!) Actually, even the 4s is a monster to me.......

So, with the above said, I am looking at the CR-10s with the initial mods in mind:
Keenovo heated bed conversion
EZABL bed-leveling system

Are there any other mods you would suggest?

I want to be able to print in ABS as well as PLA. But, I will probably mostly utilize PLA. But, I also want to be able to try that NINJAFLEX or similar some time down the road too.

Thanks,

Springman
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Springman, I'm not sure you need the bed-levelling, I set mine when I got it by adjusting the thumbscrews under the bed using the recommended piece of paper method and haven't had to adjust it since. I used to use ABS and had lots of fun with bed adhesion on my early printer, but switched to PLA when I got the CR10s, and haven't changed since, and have had brilliant print quality. I know that wibblywobbly only uses PLA and looking at the results he produces which are amazing then I'm not sure what advantage ABS provides to compensate for the high bed temperature requirement. You shouldn't need more heating for the bed than the CR10s provides for Ninjaflex, I have used TPU flexible filament and it sticks just fine. However having the bed heat capability with the add-on will undoubtedly give you the possibility of using exotic filament like nylon etc.

My suggestion would be to start with the stock CR10s and then add the bed upgrade if you find the need - if not then you've saved the cash for lots of exciting build projects. :D

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Alwyn, how did you like the TPU? Did you try any tires with it?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I printed a tyre using tpu and yes it is slightly flexible but not enough to be able to stretch it over the hub. Because of the print speed (15mm/sec) it took 5 hours to print a tyre. The quality was very good, but not flexible enough to use as a tyre. It would be good for a phone cover perhaps. I believe ninjaflex is more flexible but it's very pricy. I wasn't able to get a sample to try it.

Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Springman65
Recruit

Post by Springman65 »

Guys,

I am VERY excited! I just bought a CR-10S this weekend - should arrive next week.

So, it begins......

Alwyn, I am initially just going for the Keenovo heated bed mod, I will most likely be looking at the EZABL bed leveling system at a later date.
Uniquely enough, the other mod I will probably look at early-on is the microSD card to standard SD card conversion - all because I hate the "little-buggers"...... :haha:

I will keep you posted,

Springman
Springman65
Recruit

Post by Springman65 »

Alwyn,

Do you think TPU could be used for a RC Tank's Road-wheel Tyre? Typically, the road-wheel tyre would be thinner.....

Springman
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yes there would be no problm using TPU provided you didn't have to stretch the tyre over a rim, a straight slide-on fit wouldn't cause any problems, even if it was a tight fit.

Springman65
Recruit

Post by Springman65 »

Alwyn, where are you getting the TPU material from?

Springman
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I got my 10 metre sample from rigidink
https://rigid.ink/products/tpu-1-75mm-0 ... TgQAvD_BwE

There are other suppliers on ebay

Return to “3D Printing”