Bandai Kaiju ... Sort of Tank Related ...

All aspects of scale figures, buying, painting & modeling.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Bandai Kaiju ... Sort of Tank Related ...

Post by PainlessWolf »

Evening all!
I received this rare Bandai Figure and Upgrade set from the General out on the Island a month or so ago. We share a love of Giant Monster Movies and the Kaiju ones from Japan really are some of our favorites. Having time on my hands today I went and cobbled together a solid base and mount for the Mothra out of some brass and styrene and a left over Tamiya Figure Base. I had a recent 50's era Godzilla figure already so I gave in to the urge to display them together at least for the purposes of these Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )

PS: Tank related since they are always being used against these radioactive giants. ;o)
Attachments
Ready for Display.jpg
Ready for Display.jpg
Gohira Closeup.jpg
Gohira Closeup.jpg
Beautiful Plastic work from Bandai...Base from Some Old Git is not bad either..jpg
Beautiful Plastic work from Bandai...Base from Some Old Git is not bad either..jpg
But Wait!  It is Momma Mothra to the Rescue!.jpg
But Wait! It is Momma Mothra to the Rescue!.jpg
Oh No!  Godzilla is attacking Ryoko and the only thing between Him and It is baby Mothra!.jpg
Oh No! Godzilla is attacking Ryoko and the only thing between Him and It is baby Mothra!.jpg
Styrene base cut to fit and the name plate painted and pinned....jpg
Styrene base cut to fit and the name plate painted and pinned....jpg
Left over Tamiya Figure Stand and a mount made of brass, plastic and the sprue from the Mothra Box..jpg
Left over Tamiya Figure Stand and a mount made of brass, plastic and the sprue from the Mothra Box..jpg
Parts.jpg
Parts.jpg
50s Godzilla.jpg
50s Godzilla.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Bandai Kaiju ... Sort of Tank Related ...

Post by Jimster »

I love those old movies. I paid a lot of attention to the model buildings, ships and tanks that were crushed.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Jimster,
Me too! I have to say that my interest in Remote Control Tanks spawned at an early age from watching those old movies.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I was a fan of Ray Harryhausen (1920-2013), with his stop-motion creations- such as the myth-based warring skeletons in 'Jason and the Argonauts' (1963). I also look back, with nostalgia and incredulity, at the days of papier-mache rocks,shaking hand-painted backdrops. :D...and out of sync sound effects. :D :thumbup:

edit: and congrats on your promotion to Colonel, Painless! That's a result of many worthy posts. :clap:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

You're catching the bug too Mr Painless...................odd Japanese cult followings, AND a promotion................. :problem:
Like Logans Run, once you reach the "age of transformation" in this case-General, thats it sunshine, :shifty:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

Ah, now that reminds me of my childhood. Like many of you have said, I also was interested in the model use in the movies. It's funny how modeling can change your perspective. Watched the original Star Wars again and all I thought about was whoever made those fantastic models watching them get blown up!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Gentlemen!
Thanks for looking in. This offering from Bandai included some upgrade parts for Mothra to make the 'Super' version. I do also have a late 90's era version of Godzilla with easily, a 100 points of articulation. I may revisit this thread with the upgraded version one day in the future. ;o) Here is to the kid in all of us that remembers the days of movie magic sans the need for CGI.
regards,
Painless

P.S. Herman! I do my best. ;o)
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Scale Figures”