Heng Long’s Version PDSGB

Tell forum members about your new purchase here, your chance to let others know what is in the box.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Heng Long’s Version PDSGB

Post by tomhugill »

Jimster wrote:Can’t really do a review on these however I can say that these are not 100% direct replacements for DKLM. I don’t mean quality or function I mean that the dimensions are just a tad bit different and you can’t interchange between mounting plates. But it’s very very close. These were never advertised to be exactly like DKLM and I had no assumptions that they were. Having said that I took some side by side photos in case anyone is even vaguely interested. This Heng Long unit has the faster 1:39 ratio (stamped on the side of the case) so I hope I can obtain replacement output shafts to fit a Panzer lll.
I'm not sure about that stack of washers as shims!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Sharp eye! I never noticed that. Seems like a low budget fix for gears that are too narrow and not exactly impressive engineering.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Sharp eye! I never noticed that. Seems like a low budget fix for gears that are too narrow and not exactly impressive engineering.
I guess there's no such thing as 'intellectual property' in China- unless it's somebody else's, that it. :think: :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Thanks for the comparison Jimster. I was hoping these were the same gearboxes that were just being sold under the Heng Long name but it looks like they are copies. Hopefully the originals make a comeback in the near future.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I agree with you 100%!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

:P Thought I would update this thread. My DKLM gearbox has a failure somewhere in the gearing in the left side of the unit. It is unable to climb over any obstacles and when meeting any resistance the tank stalls because some gears stop meshing and a free spinning sound is heard whirring from the gearbox. So I decided to replace the floor mounting plate and install the Heng Long version. Great fit however the HL drive motor wasn’t working properly. Just my luck! Fortunately the DKLM drive motor was a direct replacement and while I was at it I was able to swap out the higher speed (way too fast) HL drive gear with the DKLM slower gear. It was also a direct fit.
The gearbox now runs perfectly smooth and I’m just as satisfied with it as I was the DKLM. It is only very slightly more audible but probably could use some grease and breaking in. It’s still practically silent compared to the coffee grinder gearboxes.
So there you have it. My heavy-assed Tiger now climbs like a champion once again.
Met5
Corporal

Post by Met5 »

thanks for the update ;)

Return to “Unboxing”