Schwimmwagen schwimmt nicht!

Tell forum members about your new purchase here, your chance to let others know what is in the box.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Schwimmwagen schwimmt nicht!

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I have read the threads on the Torro Schwimmwagen. I have two, and both do not swim. The Schwimmwagens run forward in all three speeds, and they steer rather better than the 1/16 Tamiya Kubelwagen. (In reverse they are hesitant to start out, but I attribute this to the lack of synchromesh transmissions. :lolno:) However, on both,

When I drop the prop, ain't nothin' op.

That is, when the propellers are lowered, nothing at all operates, not the shaft to the propeller, not the wheels, not the steering. I would guess that the propeller and steering should operate. When I raise the propeller, all is fine for land running.

I have had the axles off, thinking that the body castings might split horizontally, and then I had loads of laughs getting the axles back together with just two hands, leading to a monologue about hard-working, underpaid Chinese assemblers who have the advantage of four arms and hands.

The boards seem fine, with no obvious damage or disconnections.
Engine Bay.jpg
How does one get at the goodies? I see that Fred the French, especially, and others have done so.

I also noticed what appear to be two metal nibs sticking just a bit out of the bottom rear of the Schwimmwagens. Does this work as some kind of contact?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Schwimmwagen schwimmt nicht!

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi professor,

The propeller will not activate while it is out of water as some kind of safety feature and you are right about the two prongs underneath, they are sensors to activate the propeller. A simple way to test while it is out of water is to put a drop of water on your fingertip and hold it on the prongs then it will work as intended , hope this helps :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Many thanks, Lee! I was beginning to think that the two might contact through water, but I couldn’t believe it. I guess I should trust my goofy ideas because others usually beat me to them. Now my curiosity wants to know WHY? Does anybody know? Is it to protect some kid, aged 65+, from sticking his finger in that wimpy little propeller?
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Ein Schwimmwagen der nicht schwimmt, taugt nichts! ;D
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Das taucht auch nicht. Aber vielleicht wird es absaufen.

[attachment=0]Schwimmt nicht.jpg[/attachment}
Attachments
Schwimmt nicht.jpg
Schwimmt nicht.jpg (64.91 KiB) Viewed 959 times
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Das taucht auch nicht. Aber vielleicht wird es absaufen.

[attachment=0]Schwimmt nicht.jpg[/attachment}

Es sollte, vielleicht, der 'Sinkwagen' genannt sein...das wäre besser! glub..glub... :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hey Guys,
the words:
taugt = be suitable, be usefull, be capable
taucht = diving
Bud there are enough Germans who misspelling these words.
German language - especially grammar - is´nt easy. ;D

Back to topic.
I solder these two pins together:
Kontakte.JPG
And this is our familiys "Fuhrpark":
Gruppe1.jpg
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Ach, what a fine lot you have in your Fuhrpark jhamm. Now I have learned a new word, and a tauchen/taugen mistake to avoid unless I want someone to think I am really from Northern Germany. :P Thanks for all your help, Kamaraden!

For a few laughs, checking out this one on sinking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT86iWiH2mI
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I am reactivating this discussion to ask how in tarnation one is to get these guys behind the steering wheel of a Toro Schwimmwagen. The only solution I can figure out is to put them into the box a magician uses to saw the pretty lady in half. :haha:
Any help?
1-16-figure-driver-schwimmwagen 2.jpg
1-16-figure-driver-schwimmwagen 2.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 857 times
1-16-figure-schwimmwagen-driver.jpg
1-16-figure-schwimmwagen-driver.jpg (8.91 KiB) Viewed 856 times
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I am reactivating this discussion to ask how in tarnation one is to get these guys behind the steering wheel of a Toro Schwimmwagen. The only solution I can figure out is to put them into the box a magician uses to saw the pretty lady in half. :haha:
Any help?
1-16-figure-driver-schwimmwagen 2.jpg
1-16-figure-schwimmwagen-driver.jpg
Is there a 1/16 figure of Douglas Bader available somewhere? :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Unboxing”