Heng Long M41 Buldog 1/16.

Tell forum members about your new purchase here, your chance to let others know what is in the box.
Vertigo
Private

Heng Long M41 Buldog 1/16.

Post by Vertigo »

Not much about these lately so i guess they are not popular.
I'll tell you why i bought this model in another post but i thought it was worth doing the unboxing exercise as you get a lot of out of date info on the web. This is one of the cheapest models and this is an upgraded model - i don't know what that was ment to mean apart from having S&S.
It comes in a large carboard box with a handle on the top. It opens at the end. I have put a tape "strap" around the box under the handle to spread the load so i can keep the box for transportation.
Inside is 2 part polestyrene. Top and bottom. Im looking for a way to coat these so i can keep them for transportation without them flaking off leaving the white beads every where. - any recomendations?
The barrel/turret has to be part rotated to fit in the polestyrene.
Controller at one end, tank, couple of bags of assesories underneath, cut out section for BBs and the battery, oh and instructions. Not much to do, the instructions are basic with diagrams of where the accessories go and how to operate the tank. The instructions are common with "earlier" versions so theres a couple of bits that are not aplicable with this model.
This was with S&S as i had read thats what you need to get so you have the RX18 controller.
1st surprise is that mine came with a 2000mAH battery. Standard is 1700mAH. Put the battery on charge - what to do for the next 6 hours.
Well im an engineer. So out comes the screw driver and off comes the top hull.
2nd surprise is that its got an all metal gearbox. No markings on the motors though.
Couldn't tell what receiver it has but it looks like the Rx18.
3rd suprise is that its got recoil. However the recoil triger wire connector is not compatable with the RX. The connectore has a 2 arrow latch and the RX just has a slot. The connector was pushed in and doing the job by slightly deflecting the side of the connector.
Had a play with some of the accessories. The parts are a tight fit and cliped in without adhesive. Moded the MG to put the amo can at the front. Disapointed there are no front lights.
One of the bosses in the lower hull that takes the fixings was cracked. Surprising as its usually the ones you screw into that split. I will wrap it with cotton and glue next time i have it apart.
Battery charged. Check it all works. Discovered there is a head light but its oversprayed with paint. The paint flaked off easily. Sounds are a bit of fun but the gearbox is noisy.
Points of interest:-
The turret is not a good fit on the hull. It looks to small a diameter for the hull and there is a verticle gap so it can be rocked. Its not really loose but theres room for improvement. Theres a lot of slop in the gearbox and the suspension. The turret doesn't rotate 360 degrees - but i plan to change that.
Their is a gap between the top and bottom hull where the turret circle is. This can let in water/dirt etc as its above the tracks - i will probably blank these off but have to think about cooling.
The speaker is under the drivers position. I haven't fitted the periscopes yet so that might reduce the volume. Im trying to think how to ensure there is an airway for the noise.
I could say the tank is a bit to fast but that could be a mater of tast. Its to cold to try it outside yet.
Theres nothing in the instructions telling you the 2 silver things are the push in joysticks for the controller. These have very sharp features at the finger end so i ran a file over mine.
Theres no front MG as the position is used for the BB warning LED. - I plan to change that. Theres no MG or cannon firing LED. - plan to change that.
There is nothing under the side bins above the tracks. Im making some parts to make these functional. Somewhere to store BBs, bits and even AAA batteries.
The back of the turret also has an empty bin. I think its just to small to fit a 9V battery but i could put AAA batteries in. The back and rear of the bin is held in with a single screw under the turret so you have to disasseble the tank to get it off.
The LED light are still with exposed leads. These can short out. I managed to wrap some insulating tape around them.
The main switch is underneath as is the battery compartment. Im thinking of moving the switch and puting a battery charge connector somewhere to avoid having to take the battery out to recharge.
Maybe someone will find this usefull.

Return to “Unboxing”