TAIGEN PZ IV 4TH BATTLE OF KHARKOV 14 AUGUST 1943

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ive got a bit more done, and despite everything being made by hand with basic tools, the two sides only vary in height not quite a mm, and in all other aspects are the same.
The skirts sit in a reasonably tight order, and all thats left is to secure the last retainers to each plate to pick up the guard mounted hangers.
I really give my efforts an 85 out of 100, but as Im not an N.C. machine centre or a laser cutter, that will do !!!
Attachments
P2190010.JPG
P2180009.JPG
P2180008.JPG
P2180007 (2).JPG
P2180005.JPG
P2180004.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Would you be happy with 95 out of 100, HB? :D I'd say you're approaching that, especially with those bits of brazing/soldering. :thumbup: This tank looks ferocious @)
Ahh... but in this age of neurotic Health and Safety awareness, did you de-burr those razor sharp metal edges carefully? :haha: We don't want a trail of blood everywhere, now do we.. :lolno:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I dunno, blood might look the part.
Great work on the brass fabrication, boss. Those skirts sure look fashionable.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks gents, they do add to the overall effect, just got to secure them to the guard hangers so they sit right.
I want the owner to be able to get hold of it this weekend so he can complete the rest & paint it asap.

After that, I have a StuGIII to embellish for him.
Late skirts, 105mm Howitzer, Ostketten tracks............one I am really looking forward to doing.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Heres a blast from the past..............

This weekend coming I am picking this one up for me.
Unpainted, perished rubber tyres, and a damaged transmitter. He just couldnt get past the inaccuracies.
I will check the electronics & bind it to another Taigen Tx I have, then fit new tires when they get here, and get this finished.
Out of the bagillions of PzIV pics out there I want to find one that reflects my style & will make me happy to have it.
A long shot might be a winter-Ost version rather than a Normandy summer but thats still up for the toss.
Be cool perhaps to do it muddy in white-wash with some knock off winter tank riders on it, but who knows.
It has the Tamiya turret schurzen on it too, now when I did that is was a mind#$*^%$

I will just get it first & figure its look out later.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Nice work Herman! :clap:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Ohhhh this is gonna be Good. Let's Go Mr. Bix!
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am not a complete stranger to the Panzer4 and I generally go for the latest Taigen Metal Hull the Heng Long Body and the Latest Taigen Turret as to control boards thats a personal thing upon which I will make no further comment,
The Taigen metal hull is B awful :poop: and needs a lot of work with a dremel, I flush cut the rear track adjusters and with a long drill bit went right through then fitted an aftermarket adjuster from www.rctanks.de and used a locknut to hold it in place a shaped screw behind it gives the look of authenticity, I dremmeled the 4th roller off and drilled 2.5mm below and fitted a new set of rollers, The front I left there is far too much downside tinkering with it.
The Heng Long body has the advantage of having an almost clear deck so that mounting tools and other impedimenta can be done as it should be done and just plain looks right.
Taigens turret is the standard that even Tamiya should work to achieve although it has its failings,
The Cupola looks great with its faux welding but unlike the old one it is not removable so you are pretty much stuck with an Ausf G because the Ausf H/J have a different 1 piece hatch cupola but the bore sight which nobody else includes and the ease with which either Taigens or Tamiyas Turret armour fits is a delight,
With Tamiyas Schurtzen I went by Tamiyas own instructions which is to be found on the Forum as a Download,
All in all you are doing a prize winning job Herman a pleasure to follow your work. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
airmancurran1
Lance Corporal

Post by airmancurran1 »

Now this, is some craftsmanship.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

jarndice wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:49 pm I am not a complete stranger to the Panzer4 and I generally go for the latest Taigen Metal Hull the Heng Long Body and the Latest Taigen Turret as to control boards thats a personal thing upon which I will make no further comment,
The Taigen metal hull is B awful :poop: and needs a lot of work with a dremel, I flush cut the rear track adjusters and with a long drill bit went right through then fitted an aftermarket adjuster from www.rctanks.de and used a locknut to hold it in place a shaped screw behind it gives the look of authenticity, I dremmeled the 4th roller off and drilled 2.5mm below and fitted a new set of rollers, The front I left there is far too much downside tinkering with it.
The Heng Long body has the advantage of having an almost clear deck so that mounting tools and other impedimenta can be done as it should be done and just plain looks right.
Taigens turret is the standard that even Tamiya should work to achieve although it has its failings,
The Cupola looks great with its faux welding but unlike the old one it is not removable so you are pretty much stuck with an Ausf G because the Ausf H/J have a different 1 piece hatch cupola but the bore sight which nobody else includes and the ease with which either Taigens or Tamiyas Turret armour fits is a delight,
With Tamiyas Schurtzen I went by Tamiyas own instructions which is to be found on the Forum as a Download,
All in all you are doing a prize winning job Herman a pleasure to follow your work. :thumbup:
Much appreciated Mr Jarndice, I noted and agree with you on these PzIV nuances. I also have an L/48 gun to fit and with the Taigen elevation/recoil mechanism its not going to be easy. I will achieve it, but not without a fight I anticipate.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”