TK22 with 9x ESC mixer

Discussion for Clark electronics.
Lotuswins
Recruit

TK22 with 9x ESC mixer

Post by Lotuswins »

Hello all,

I haven't posted in a while, nor with something so detailed as this, but since it took almost 3 days of banging my head against the wall, I thought I'd share the outcome.

I have 2 TK22's, one in a T55A, and this one is in a Stug IIIb. I have really been disappointed in the low speed characteristics of both of these boards, so since I had a couple of 45 amp HK ESCs in my spares from OP TCB use, I thought I'd try and see if I couldn't incorporate them with a transmitter mix and improve on both the motor whine, and the erratic speed at low throttle. After much research on the web, and reading the manual for er9x (I have TankER9X on my 4 transmitters) several times, I finally came up with the following mix to drive the Stug:

Clark Model TK22 Mix on Turnigy 9x with TankER9x firmware and two ESCs:

Chan Mltplx Wt Source Switch Note:

CH1 100 CH9 Fwd for left motor
+ 100 CH11 Rev for left motor
+ -20 HALF CAN Track recoil

CH2 100 CH10 Fwd for right motor
+ 100 CH12 Rev for right motor
+ -20 HALF CAN Track recoil

CH3 0 GUN Elevation motor up/down
+ -100 HALF CAN Cannon output
R 46 HALF AUX Switch for lights
R 100 HALF ON1 On/Off switch
R 46 HALF SND Aux output for second set of lights (Clark Aux)
R 100 HALF MGN Machine Gun switch
+ -36 HALF SW3 S Up Elevation input from Switch 3 (slow up 1)
+ -36 HALF SW4 Dn Elevation input from Switch 4

CH4 85 TUR
+ -70 HALF AUX Switch for lights
R 100 HALF ON1 On/Off switch
R 50 HALF SND Aux output for second set of lights
R -100 HALF MGN Machine Gun switch
+ -50 HALF SW3 S Up Elevation input from Switch 3 (slow up 5)
+ 50 HALF SW4 S Dn Elevation input from Switch 4 (slow up 5)

CH5 100 FULL ENG Smoker RC switch

CH7 -100 VOL Servo driven pot for volume

CH9 60 MTR SW1 Up throttle Positive out for Left track
+ 30 STR SW1 S Steering input for Positive out for Left track
(slow up/down 3 for all steering inputs)
CH10 60 MTR SW1 Up throttle Positive out for Right track
+ 30 STR SW1 S Steering input for Positive out for Right track

CH11 40 MTR SW2 Down throttle Negative out for Left track
+ -30 STR SW2 S Steering input for Negative out for Left track

CH12 40 MTR SW2 Down throttle Negative out for Right track
+ -30 STR SW2 S Steering input for Negative out for Right track

Mixing for ESCs is on CH9 thru 12, here is the switch assignment:

CUSTOM SWITCHES:
S1 v>ofs MTR 0 Track Output positive only
S2 v<ofs MTR 0 Track Output negative only
S3 v>ofs GUN 8 Enables up gun elevation to work with stick input
S4 v<ofs GUN -8 Enables down gun elevation to work with stick input

TankER9x pot/switch nomenclature

MTR right stick up/down
STR right stick left/right
GUN left stick up/down
TUR left stick left/right
MGN left rear 2 pos switch
XGN left fwd 2 pos switch
AUX left front 2 pos switch
ENG right, right front 2 pos switch
SND right front 2 pos switch
CAN right rear 2 pos switch
ON1,ON2 right, left front 3 pos switch
P1,VOL,P3 potentiometers, left top, right top, left front.

It took a bit of tweeking to get the up/down gun to work, as well as the two switches. In fact, the band is so narrow, sometimes if the battery is down, the lights won't switch on or off reliably. You can also adjust the CH1 or CH2 output weights to straighten out the tank when driving forward or reverse. I adjusted the outputs of the higher channels as the tank was moving too fast (taigen 5:1 gearboxes with OAR of 45:1).

I hope this helps, the StugIIIb now drives decently, in line with my Open Panzer TCB tanks.

Jerry Rude (retired engineer with way too much time on my hands)
Roseburg Oregon USA
(15 RC tanks, last count, way too many...lol)
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: TK22 with 9x ESC mixer

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi, sorry I cannot help you a lot because I have no Cclark board, but just one thing, dont use tanker9x anymore. It is an outdated an abandoned version of the glorious er9x software. You can download the last version here:

https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4598

Many things have improved since Tanker9x.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
maxmekker

Post by maxmekker »

Thats some massive work :thumbup: good sharing

the New tk24/60 Sbus have much better slow speed handeling than the older 20/22 did. Also the tk40/80 With the Ultrasonic Speed Controller is even better

phpBB [video]
Drammen Rock City
Lotuswins
Recruit

Post by Lotuswins »

Hi Rad, thanks for the tip on the new er9x, but I choose to stay with TankER9x, simply for the window dressing of tank labels, and initial screen being a tanker based visual. Also, it is just an overlay of an early version of er9x, so not really different, just a bit out dated. If I were savy enough to put Kevin's work into an overlay onto the newer er9x, then I would be there....alas, not that bright....

jerry
Lotuswins
Recruit

Post by Lotuswins »

Hi Maxmekker,

Yes, I thought of upgrading, but I'm too cheapo to let the old TK22 sit idle. BTW, who now sells the TK40/80 other than clark model? It seems like our local Clark distributor here in the states only has the old TK22.....and the TK60 is a bit larger, and the Stug is cramped in there.....as well as more $$....oh, well. Getting all the functions to work via switches is a bit tricky, much more so than with the IBU or the OPTCB.....but it is a challenge!! which can be fun to overcome..... :D

jerry
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Lotuswins wrote:Hi Rad, thanks for the tip on the new er9x, but I choose to stay with TankER9x, simply for the window dressing of tank labels, and initial screen being a tanker based visual. Also, it is just an overlay of an early version of er9x, so not really different, just a bit out dated. If I were savy enough to put Kevin's work into an overlay onto the newer er9x, then I would be there....alas, not that bright....

jerry

Hi, the newer ex9x versions brings tons of things and really worths a try. If what you like is the splash screen, you can easily por whatever you want there. Kevin himselft recommends to use the new er9x and abandon tanker9x. You can also can change the names to the sticks, switches and so on if it is important for you.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Lotuswins wrote:Hi Maxmekker,

Yes, I thought of upgrading, but I'm too cheapo to let the old TK22 sit idle. BTW, who now sells the TK40/80 other than clark model? It seems like our local Clark distributor here in the states only has the old TK22.....and the TK60 is a bit larger, and the Stug is cramped in there.....as well as more $$....oh, well. Getting all the functions to work via switches is a bit tricky, much more so than with the IBU or the OPTCB.....but it is a challenge!! which can be fun to overcome..... :D

jerry
You can sent to Clark to upgrade your tk22.
maxmekker

Post by maxmekker »

Lotuswins wrote:Hi Maxmekker,

jerry
I do sell :wave:
and ship world wide.

the sbus version uses 10ch setup, so it can be something like this after 5 min of programing

phpBB [video]

tk40 is good for smaller tanks .same footprint as tk22/24 . Now has support for 3s lipo, and several other new uppgrades

http://clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx40/index.html
Drammen Rock City

Return to “Clark”