Clark TK22 in a Taigen Panther F - Recoil and flash?

Discussion for Clark electronics

Postby Marco Peter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi guys!

I finally made the leap and bought two Clark TK22's! One for my Jagdtiger and one Panther-version to use in my Panther F.

To my surprise even I managed to get this working, and now my full metal Taigen is driving around using my own Turnigy transmitter!

I think I did everything right... Except there's no flash or barrel recoil. Even though I love the new controls and everything, I want to operate this tank to it's full potential! So that's where you come in, as an expert...

The setup

My leftover wires. Yes I already tried connecting them to 'CN3', but no flash/recoil.

Ideas?
Last edited by Marco Peter on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Is my question related to this?
viewtopic.php?f=204&t=22488
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby wibblywobbly » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Are you using a servo or Taigen recoil?
Are you using an HL/Taigen muzzle flash or an led?
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby Marco Peter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:49 pm

wibblywobbly wrote:Are you using a servo or Taigen recoil?
Are you using an HL/Taigen muzzle flash or an led?

Honestly... Don't know...

It's a stock Taigen Panther F from RCtank.de, does that help?
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby wibblywobbly » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 pm

If you take the upper hull off and look up into the turret you will see what is in there, probably not a servo. The next question is then whether you have a recoiling barrel? If it is just a plain airsoft one, then it won't recoil, do you have the spec for what you bought?

There is a very detailed set of instructions on the Clark site, unfortunately due to the design of the site you will need to scroll down 'a lot' to find the answers that you need.
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby Marco Peter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:14 pm

wibblywobbly wrote:If you take the upper hull off and look up into the turret you will see what is in there, probably not a servo. The next question is then whether you have a recoiling barrel? If it is just a plain airsoft one, then it won't recoil, do you have the spec for what you bought?

Yesss it has barrel recoil and flash! :-)

I just added to the first post I'm also missing barrel elevation...
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby wibblywobbly » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:32 pm

If you have turret rotation and not elevation then there is something up with the 8 pin plug, or the wiring, or the tx/channel set up.

You will need to check the tx, and channel plugs on the rx, to make sure that all channels are linked to the correct sticks, and that limits are set correctly.
Elevation could be slightly off centre when you push the stick up.
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby Marco Peter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 pm

wibblywobbly wrote:If you have turret rotation and not elevation then there is something up with the 8 pin plug, or the wiring, or the tx/channel set up.

You will need to check the tx, and channel plugs on the rx, to make sure that all channels are linked to the correct sticks, and that limits are set correctly.
Elevation could be slightly off centre when you push the stick up.

This really, really helped. Turned out Isimply do not understand a lot of Clark (yet!)!
After I read your comment I started fumbling around with the sticks and YES machine gun and barrel elevation are working! And I even figured out how to switch on/of the main light! :-)

I have to say controls for these functions are very sensitive, I fired my main cannon most of the times or turned off the engine haha!
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:37 pm

I edited my first post to what the situation is right now: no recoil/flash.

wibblywobbly wrote:If you take the upper hull off and look up into the turret you will see what is in there, probably not a servo.

I can show you what I see. :-)
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:41 pm

I'm afraid I found my problem AND solution...

If only I understood any of this haha!
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby maxmekker » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:35 pm

what you could do if you have 30 min-1h is to detatch the recoil motor+spring , and instead add a small servo+piano wire and end up with something like this

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I use the stock motor for barrel elevation.
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby Zapper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Did you ever solve this as I have a similar problem on a Torro tank.

Zapper
Recruit

Postby Marco Peter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:43 pm

Zapper wrote:Did you ever solve this as I have a similar problem on a Torro tank.

Nope...
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:14 am

much easier to install a Clark recoil setup with a servo operated recoil and use taigen flash to fire

Much more reliable and operational. I've done this Asiatam recoil conversion per Clark instructions and it works but servo is way to go :thumbup:
c.rainford73
Captain

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 am

Must say, that's a neat solution, Stian. :thumbup: Of course, Marco would have to fit and configure a servo to use your method...not to mention the wire lever. This is a stage beyond the plug and play nature of routine tank upgrades.. :think:
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Marco Peter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:35 am

43rdRecceReg wrote:Must say, that's a neat solution, Stian. :thumbup: Of course, Marco would have to fit and configure a servo to use your method...not to mention the wire lever. This is a stage beyond the plug and play nature of routine tank upgrades.. :think:

My whole tanking-life AND it's problems in one short story! :-)
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Zapper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 pm

c.rainford73 wrote:much easier to install a Clark recoil setup with a servo operated recoil and use taigen flash to fire

Much more reliable and operational. I've done this Asiatam recoil conversion per Clark instructions and it works but servo is way to go :thumbup:

Can you share your knowledge on the asiatam recoil as I have followed the Clark instructions and I can't get any barrel recoil. The barrel does recoil when I fire the second machine gun so have I miswired on do I need to change the settings on the board via the IR receiver?

Any ideas?

Zapper
Recruit

Postby c.rainford73 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm

If you carefully follow Clark's instructions and his diagrams it should look like this

You have to use the remote to set the board to Tamiya recoil mode if not already setup. ImageImageImage
c.rainford73
Captain

Postby Zapper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I think I have it wired the same way:

From the microswitch the yellow wire goes to pin 5 on CN3 and the red wire to Pin 6 on CN3.

The blue wire goes to pin 3 on CN9 and the green one to pin 4 on CN9.

Everything works, lights, elevation, turret rotation, machine gun and muzzle flash. The barrel recoil only works when triggering the second machine gun function so I think its wired right?? Is the next step to get an IR programmer to check to see if its set for Tamiya Recoil?

Zapper
Recruit

Postby c.rainford73 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 pm

Check the wires going to your motor. It appears the blue wire is in the wrong location compared to Mr Clarks directions. Black to one side and red and blue to the other.
c.rainford73
Captain

Next

Return to Clark