RC 1/16 M113 Lynx C & R - Canadian army 1970s UN mission

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

RC 1/16 M113 Lynx C & R - Canadian army 1970s UN mission

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi everyone,

After two complicated builds (GTK Boxer and the Churchill Mk III), it's time for something simpler. It is also time for my yearly M113 build. After a lot of reflection, i have decided to build the small M113 Lynx Command and Recon version, also known as the M113 1/2. Its different.

It is a shorter, smaller and lighter version of the M113, with 4 roadwheels instead of five and no rear ramp. It was sold to the Netherlands and Canada in the 1960s as a reconnaissance vehicle and was armed in Canada with a Browning M2 in cupola and Browning M1919 on the side facing rear. After being replaced, many Lynx were eventually re-sold to Chile and Bahrain. Iran got some empty hulks on the international scrap metal market and managed to put them in service, status unknown.

The model will be represented as a Canadian vehicle in the early configuration of the 1970s during a UN mission somewhere, un-modernized and still armed with the M1919 before its replacement with the FNMag later.
RC 1/16 M113 Lynx Command and Recon tank - build
For the construction of the 1/16 model, i will be helped by the excellent 1/35 resin kit from Perfect Scale Modellbau for shapes, dimensions and details. It even has excellent 1/35 UN decals that i will bring up to 1/16.
What is nice about this resin kit is the fact that the core is made of two halves for a really fast construction. Just with this, i pretty much has all i need for quite a while.
Here are some parts gathered for the build, mainly from Tank Modellbau of Germany, and roadwheels from Ludwig. It is not the first time i used these. I thought i could initially fit a Mato gearbox in the hull but it won't fit because of the raised torsion blade suspension so i have to go with plan B.
The metal tracks with rubber pads are tricky to build but proved to work well after fine tuning.
Metal sprocket and Idlers are good but need fine tuning to work well.
Continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: RC 1/16 M113 Lynx C & R - Canadian army 1970s UN mission

Post by lmcq11 »

These are the Ludwig 3D printed M113 roadwheels. Its a reminder to me why i hate 3D printing, they are always a weak point of my builds. In this case, the printing was not successful, the details are breaking off just by touching them. I contacted Chris who agreed there was an issue and will reprint them in stronger material. As it will take time to get the replacements, i will used these for the time being.
They are meant to use ball bearings. I decided on one inner and one flanged facing the suspension arm.
The resin Tank Modellbau sprocket gear housing is excellent.
Tank Modellbau metal suspension arm and sockets. The arms are locked in their sockets and meant to use the torsion blades sold separately.
i found in an earlier M113 build that they are meant to accept some M3.5 or M4 special screw for the roadwheel shaft that is not available anywhere. I have therefore drilled the hole to accept a thick 4mm brass tube that is hammered in place on both ends, and it now accepts a regular M3 hex screw as a shaft.
Construction starts without ceremony, the design is done on the fly as i progress, using the 1/35 kit as a model for dimensions and shapes.
The exact spacing for the road wheels is taken from the 1/35 kit. The kit looks good so it should be safe... i think.
While looking for alternatives to the Mato gearbox, i almost purchased this gearbox from Asiatam in Germany. But at 86 EU for such simple design with off the chart shipping costs and delays, i looked for alternatives. They would still require modification to fit the sprocket, and probably the hull.
Capture19a.JPG (42.66 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

I have these JGA25-370 DC6V at 250RPM with encoder on inventory. These go back to my M113 build with the TOW launcher, i will try the same propulsion method here but with these higher RPM motors. Only the red and white wires are required to work with the Clark control board, no complex robotics here. They run real smooth and silent.
I got these strong shafts with 4mm axle earlier for $15, including shipping. I always keep one set on inventory.
Capture19c.JPG (70.47 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
Flanged bearings with 4mm inner hole are used on both sides of each sprocket.
It is critical that they are installed strait and tested with the shaft before finalizing the installation.
Because the sprocket hub no longer goes inside the sprocket gear housing, i had to reduce the length of it. Not easy as this is really hard metal. I also prepared each sprocket teeth by filing them smooth as they would otherwise cut into the tracks and not work.
The shaft were prepared.
And installed.
The suspension arms were temporarily installed to create the brackets that will make them operational with the torsion blade locked in place.
The suspension arms need to be tested and finetuned to eliminate any resistance.
Suspension arms are equipped with torsion blades from Tank Modellbau. For now, i put firmer Leopard 1 torsion blades on the first wheel, and M113 blades on the others.
continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Roadwheels installed, and the plastic bracket for the torsion blades was also reinforced from above.
The height of the hull looks ok, maybe a bit high, but will adjust later as required.
A Sherman Mato track adjuster is cannibalized to reuse its core to serve as a M113 track adjuster. No need for anything more expensive or complicated.
The center hole of the idler wheels needed to be enlarged to accept the bigger ball bearings that fit the Mato adjuster. Two ball bearings are used side by side inside each idler wheel, locked with the mato screw and bigger washers.
In no time, i have two M113 track adjusters with metal idlers on ball bearings.
Idlers installed. The whole chassis runs on ball bearings.
I had to put a 2mm spacer for the teeth of the adjuster to bite into something other than the hull, and also to align the idler wheel with the roadwheels.
It is critical to align every wheels.
The construction of the upper hull is starting.
Planning view of how the motors will be installed. Every millimeter counts on such build so it seems to fit. The idea is to position the motors in a way that fit the allocated room inside the hull, while minimizing the friction cause by bending the shaft too much. This will take delicate fine tuning and testing once the core of the upper hull body is build.
That is it for now, next step; construction of the upper hull armored plates.

Regards, Louis
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Good Morning Louis,
yes, the parts from Chris lately are always only usable on the second try.
Many parts that were previously made of metal are now 3D printed.
This is a loss of strength, especially with rollers.
The surface quality and details are often also affected.
With a little effort, you can also achieve very good results with 3D printing.
The idler wheel of the Cromwell:
Cromwell-12.jpg
Cromwell-12.jpg (93.11 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
or for my sWS build the rim of the front wheel:
Rad.jpg
Rad.jpg (96.79 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
But this need time and a 3D-Printer with small Nozzle of 0,2mm gives much moore detailed and better surfaces.
A resine printer gives much better results, but the stability of the parts is very low...

Nevertheless, you are on your way to creating another wonderful model!
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

With the 3D printed wheels you could clean up the best ones, make those smooth, and make molds of them. Then replicate them in a good resin. On the other hand you did pay for something and expected it not to fall apart before even installing them so I can understand waiting for replacements.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Another unique and interesting build Louis, we'll all be following along with interest. I'd never heard of these mini-113s before, it's a neat little vehicle. I'm looking forward to see how you squeeze all of the functional bits in!
jhamm wrote:A resine printer gives much better results, but the stability of the parts is very low...
There are some very strong engineering resins available now, I've had good results resin-printing roadwheels recently. They're as strong as ABS, and almost as smooth as injection-moulded parts.

I didn't get into 3D printing for a long time because of the limitations of FDM printing, the layer lines are prohibitive for the kind of fine details I want to print. The sintered nylon Christian uses is even worse in that regard, but at least it's strong.
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

Back at it again? At least it's a better addiction than drugs.. Maybe more expensive though :eh: Good luck with the build!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

jhamm wrote:The surface quality and details are often also affected.
With a little effort, you can also achieve very good results with 3D printing.
tankme wrote:With the 3D printed wheels you could clean up the best ones, make those smooth, and make molds of them. Then replicate them in a good resin. On the other hand you did pay for something and expected it not to fall apart before even installing them so I can understand waiting for replacements.
Thank you jhamm, tankme and raminator for your advice. I'll see first what Chris is able to do with his new printing material. As a Plan B, I already removed all the bolts features on the existing road wheels (i just had to rub my fingers against the wheel to remove them...). I was thinking of sanding them better and pour some enamel product on them to make them smoother, and then add brass bolts. I'll see.
Raminator wrote:Another unique and interesting build Louis, we'll all be following along with interest. I'd never heard of these mini-113s before, it's a neat little vehicle. I'm looking forward to see how you squeeze all of the functional bits in!
Yes, small and cute little vehicle, pretty square, no turret and easy to model. It does not take much room on the shelves either. My Panther and Tiger days are way behind me, i need new types of vehicles to have fun with and learn new stuff. I usually used a Ludwig base kit to start with but this is the first time that i actually build something totally from the ground up from scratch, and no interlocking joints to worry about and fill. I guess i have reached this point.
PershingLover wrote:Back at it again? At least it's a better addiction than drugs.. Maybe more expensive though Good luck with the build!
Thanks, in the 3 past decades, I always had a project on the work bench. With age, the hobby budget keep increasing. Some smoke it, some drink it, some play it. I prefer to build stuff. I know that one day when i get old, i will have to sell this stuff, so i should be able to get the investment back and spend it on winter cruises...

Continuing with the build.

The side armor plates are created.
And installed.
The protuberant front fenders are created.
The roof is created and made removable, providing complete access to the electronics by just lifting it.
With the left angled front armor installed, i can figure out the installation of the motors.
After a lot of calculations and analysis to determine the best position that minimize friction and optimize the efficiency, the bottom right motor is installed first. Those motors only have 2 attachment points at the front for M3 bolts. In order to help stabilizing the long motors, rudimentary brackets were created at the back to provide more support and kept the motors from vibrating. As every millimeter of space is important on such build, i did carve the interior of the armor plate where required to provide additional space for the motors to be positioned more efficiently. Looks weird to do this but these make a real difference.
Left motor and shaft are installed above the right one. They do not touch. Again, the bracket at the back is just for stabilizing support as the anchor point is at the front of the motor. Lots of testing went into this. It runs like a charm.
Continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Close up on the motors.
This type of motorization arrangement is a cheap and simple way to get to the absolute front bottom of the vehicle where the sprocket wheel shafts are located. With regular gearbox on the market, it is always a struggle to get as low as possible, achieved by giving an angle to the gearbox and it never fully reaches it. In this solution here, the secret is to find the optimal position for the drive shafts so that none of the two flexible point is bended at maximum, which would impact performance and give the model a bad bumpy ride. It is not easy and it takes a lot of analysis, trial and error process, and testing.
The M113 Lynx is equipped with a front hatch provided total access to the front of the motors, mount points and the whole drive shafts. Everything can be removed from this access panel, which is great for maintenance as well.
With the motors installed and fully tested, the frontal armor panel on the right is created and installed.

The motors are surprisingly powerful. Speed control is great and they can go real fast as well.

I could provide at this time a video of the motors and gears in action but I was waiting for the tracks to be built and installed. This will be the real test to see this whole setup work with tracks on.
Here is a first peek at the M113 Lynx basic shapes in 1/16 scale.
The frontal hatch will be operable.
Here is the model as it stands today next to its 1/35 little brother.
Regards, Louis

Return to “Modern Builds”