Trumpeter T-72B1 with Kontakt ERA

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Trumpeter T-72B1 with Kontakt ERA

Post by tankme »

There were three mounting points that looked like a Heng Long rotation motor would fit, but that wasn't the case. I had to cut two of them off and relocate them a little to the left (green arrows). Had to trim all the areas pointed out in yellow. Got the new adjustable idler/brace installed from RC Tank Legion. Also thinned the front glacis plate along the purple line to make room for the idler brace. I cut some styrene disks and glued them around the relocated posts to give them more stability and create a spacer for the rotation unit. I think the upper is fitted to my satisfaction. I'm waiting on some different types of magnets in order to finish the mounting process. Removed the battery box. The gearbox mount is only mocked up in the chassis so far. I've got some bearings on the way to mount on the outer lower hull to support the shafts. It seems the HL gearbox mounting points don't line up with the PDSGB gearbox. The bearings will be used to make sure everything is lined up. Then I'm going to use some brass spacers to mount the gearbox mount. After that the whole thing will get a resin treatment to add some more structure to the standoffs and the lower hull.

Removed the Trumpeter speaker mount as it will not be used (blue lines). The turret ring is the one that comes with the Trumpeter kit and it has the same gear profile of a Heng Long rotation unit.

Removed and relocated the back of the turret. It works better because the boxes on the turret mount to both the upper and lower turret pieces. Now they only mount to the upper part which allows the turret to be opened up for maintenance.

Orange arrows point to areas that needed to be trimmed after removing the Heng Long lower plate and replacing it with the Trumpeter plate. Tracks will eventually be changed for the older RMsh track style from Attracks.

Reworked the hatches so they would work and got the PE grills installed.

Derek
Too many project builds to list...
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Howdy, very nice work. The final result should be very impressive.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Love it! I'm a big fan of your work tankme, you've done a really neat job adapting the various Trumpeter and Heng Long parts. What were you planning to use for electronics?

Looking forward to seeing more!
tankme

Post by tankme »

At this point probably Clark TK board of some sort unless a better option presents itself. I do use the IR functions so the Beier boards are out for me. With the DKLM board not doing full voltage to the motors, that one is kinda out for me also. I only have one TCB left and I think it will go in my Tamiya Sherman. Not a fan of the Tamiya electronics at all.
Derek
tankme

Post by tankme »

Been neglecting my thread...bad me...

New tracks:

Attracks RMSH on the left and HL T-90 metal tracks on the right:

And the brothers side by side:

Ordered some of the Trumpeter T-72 PE grills for the Heng Long from RCtank.de. The should be here this week sometime.
Derek
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Thank you for taking the time to document this I'm collecting the parts to do the exact same thing so this will be invaluable!

Return to “Modern Builds”