RC 1/16 GTK Boxer A1 8x8 Armoured Fighting Vehicle - Build

Postby lmcq11 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:42 am

Hi, here is my new build.

The GTK (Gepanzertes Transport-Kraftfahrzeug) Boxer is a multirole armoured fighting vehicle designed by an international consortium led by German companies, mainly Rheinmetall and Krauss-Maffei Wegmann.

The German Bundeswehr was the first to take delivery of 272 + 131 Boxers to replace some M113 and TPZ-1 Fuchs. Confirmed Boxer customers are Germany, the Netherlands, Lithuania, Australia and the UK. The Boxer has been produced and seen service in A0, A1 and A2 configurations. The UK Boxer will be A3 configuration. Australian deliveries are an A2/A3 hybrid.

The unique feature of the vehicle is the interchangeable mission modules at the back which allow several configurations to meet different operational requirements. With Australia and the UK being users, i have a feeling this vehicle will be popular on RCTW in years to come.

Capture0.JPG
RC 1/16 GTK Boxer 8x8 Armoured Fighting Vehicle - Build

The model will have the following features;
- 8x8 drivetrain with steering on the first two units.
- Clark TK40 control board
- Likely 540 Brushed Motor with 1/10 truck gearbox, or twin 370 motor/gearbox.
- FLW-200 Remote Weapon Station equipped with M2 12.7mm machine gun with rotation, elevation, flash and sound
- Rear opening ramp, will see later if any interior detail can be reproduced.
- Headlights and interior lighting

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (58.42 KiB) Viewed 601 times

Capture0b.JPG

Capture0c.JPG

The Ludwig basic plasticard kit and some available 3D printed accessories will be used.

Capture2a.JPG

The 3D printed FLW-200 Remote Weapon Station offered by Ludwig is the same that i used on the TPZ-1 Fuchs build last year. But instead of equipping it with a 40mm grenade launcher, this one will have a Tamiya M2 machine gun.

Capture2aa.JPG

The most complex aspect of the build is to plans and figure out the drivetrain. The standard idea is to reuse something easily available as a base for modification such as an RC buggy. My first key imperative was to find one that has the right axel width. My second one was to find one that is cheap, functional with lots of spare parts and upgrades available. I selected the WLToys 979A below. Two vehicles are required for cannibalization.

Capture2b.JPG
Capture2b.JPG (92.38 KiB) Viewed 601 times

Lots of cheap metal upgrades are available for it on the market. If you are not careful, this could start to cost a lot.

Capture3.JPG

For now, i purchased the metal gears and drive shaft metal upgrade.

Capture3b.JPG

I also purchased the metal steering bars and the link rods. Further purchases might occur as needed.

Capture4.JPG

Continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

lmcq11
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby lmcq11 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:00 am

From my 1/35 kit used as reference, i determined the tires should be between 83 and 85mm in diameter. Need eight of them so costs can climb fast. Someone could spend $200 on German made ones. However, i will try these cheap ones available on eBay and designed for 1/14 Tamiya trucks. They have the right diameter and width, the tread is close, and i can buy eight of them for $40 total.

Capture5.JPG
Capture5.JPG (85.43 KiB) Viewed 597 times

I will try to reuse the available WLtoys plastic wheels by keeping the core, reduce the width and fit the 3D printed Boxer hub caps from Ludwigs. We'll see later if it works out.

Capture5a.JPG

I will be helped by the 1/35 HobbyBoss Boxer kit for reference to extrapolate dimensions, placement and details.

Capture5b.JPG

There is no way to repro exactly the complex underside of the vehicle. So, the idea is to focus on a efficient workable drivetrain and suspension instead.

Capture5bb.JPG

The Ludwigs parts for the lower hull are prepared for assembly.

Capture6.JPG

It is fairly simple and goes together fast.

Capture7.JPG

As usual, all the parts need preparation, specially the angles on all the joints.

Capture7a.JPG

This is as far as i will go for now with the plasticard build, the next step is to engineer the drive train.

Capture8.JPG

Capture8b.JPG

Starting to cannibalize the WLtoys 979A vehicles, starting with only one of them in order to check things out before destroying both of them... I am not familiar with RC buggies so this is a good learning and a new RC experience.

Capture10.JPG

Continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Thu May 13, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:12 am

Cute little vehicle, too bad.

Capture11.JPG

This is what is under the hood. There will be a lot of parts for my junkyard...

Capture12.JPG

Dissabled in no time. Nice 540 motor, metal mount and gear.

Capture13.JPG

The standard gears come in plastic.

Capture14.JPG

But i have the metal upgrades for them all, including the main shaft.

Capture14a.JPG

Looks like superb gears to me for the price...

Capture15.JPG

A front steering module is prepared using section of the bottom plate that was cut.

Capture16.JPG

This is the rear module with the main gear for the motorr. Now, i have to transform this unit for motor drive and steering to be used for for the second unit, using parts from the second buggy.

Capture17.JPG

The work of disassembling the drivetrain modules units, upgrading the parts with the metal upgrades, etc has started. This is quite fun.

Capture17b.JPG

Obviously, the Ludwig tub will require some modifications to fit the drivetrain suspension modules. This was expected.

Capture17c.JPG
Capture17c.JPG (35.51 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Last edited by lmcq11 on Thu May 13, 2021 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:15 am

Oh well, that's it for now. Hope this build won't keep me up at night. Below is my cat Platon, a Russian Blue, that never seem to have enough sleep.
Capture18.JPG
Capture18.JPG (94.44 KiB) Viewed 595 times

Regards, Louis

lmcq11

Postby Jimster » Thu May 13, 2021 4:30 am

Great build so far but nothing less is expected of you now :thumbup: Your cat is cool as hell.
Jimster

Postby lmcq11 » Sat May 22, 2021 2:38 am

Hello!

Continuing with the build, this set of posts are for the drive train and suspension. I am a tank modeller so i did not know anything about car mechanics. This is a true learning experience for me and it is fascinating.

The cannibalization of the two RC buggies are a wealth of nice parts for my junkyard for future use.

Capture1.JPG

Each suspension module is disassembled.

Capture2.JPG

This is the proper time to perform the metal upgrades. I am still missing the metal steering so these will be added later as long as Unit A and B are made ready for them when they arrive. In any cases, the priority at this time is to install the units and then take care of the motorization.

Capture3.JPG

The bottom of the first two units are placed to the bottom of the hull with a few drops of superglues. Its only once all the finetuning is done and the placement is determined to be optimal that the units will be bolted in place to the hull.

Capture4.JPG

A critical step is to determine the optimal length of the shafts. It is better to cut it longer and then fine tune with a hand file. The groove for the gear is made with the hand file.

Capture5.JPG

Capture4a.JPG

The replacement parts are made ready. Comparing here the original plastic and metal replacement. They need to be filed a bit.

Capture5a.JPG

Thorough testing and fine tuning is required in order to make the shafts and gears turn freely without too much resistance or bumping. The first tests showed poor results.

Capture6.JPG

I found that each gear seems to have a natural mate. Simply switching the gears has improved the situation dramatically.

Capture6a.JPG

Nice gears. The guy that wants to sunk in another couple of hundred bucks can use metal parts for the whole thing, eliminating the need to buy plastic buggies for core components, like the gearbox housing.

Capture7.JPG

Continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat May 22, 2021 3:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Sat May 22, 2021 2:48 am

The top of the steering units A and B are installed.

Capture8.JPG

The steering bars on unit B were inverted so that the gearbox with the connection for the main shaft is facing forward, and the steering bars at the back. It is planned for each steering unit to have its own steering servo, linked with a Y connector to the control board.

Capture9.JPG

Unit C and D are non steering, and correspond to the rear axles on the buggies.

Capture10.JPG

Again, creating the main shaft is critical.

Capture11.JPG

Unit C and D are made to face each other, the drive gear is given to Unit C.

Capture12.JPG

Here we are, all units are installed. The steering on Unit A and B will be configured later once motorization is designed and built.

Capture13.JPG

Notice the hull was cut around each suspension unit so that the components can work freely up and down. As these holes will be behind the large 85mm wheels, they should not show too much. I might improve the look later if required by adding some plating to cover non essential areas.

Capture14.JPG

Capture15.JPG

Capture16.JPG

Capture16a.JPG

continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat May 22, 2021 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:02 am

Close up on the suspension units and alignment.

Capture17.JPG

Capture18.JPG

For motorization, the RC buggie motor cannot simply be linked to the driving gear without any reduction gearbox. What would make the heavy GTK Boxer completely uncontrollable and way too fast.

I am currently analysing two options;

Option A is a twin engine configuration using a good metal gearbox with strong gears linked to a 370 motor that will be independently connected to the two sets of suspension (A and B) and (C and D). A twin motor configuration for front and rear is just like tanks for right and left track... Its seems to be the simplest option.

Capture19.JPG

I did a small test by plugging a gear on the shaft and manually make the first set of gearbox run. Its seems to offer good strength, control and speed.

Capture20.JPG

Option B is to centrally plug in a 1/10 truck gearbox with 540 Brushed Motor, designed for Axial 90046 SCX10 SCX10 II, with a pair of strong drive shafts that would be connected to another gear that would activates the drive gear on the gearbox main shaft... Now, this is way more exciting than option A but it is very powerful, maybe too powerful for the drive train i have.

Capture21.JPG

This is the version with the 55T gear.

Capture22.JPG

But the motorization of the GTK is a story for another week.

Regards, Louis
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat May 22, 2021 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

lmcq11

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Sat May 22, 2021 3:17 am

Amid all the RC wizardry, we see ὁ Πλάτϖν σοφός κοιμισμένος ασύνετος. Plato is unwise, asleep (or something like that). :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:26 am

This build kept me up at night for a few hours this week, pretty much like Platon. He gives meaning to the word Copycat (copy cat).

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:42 pm

In order to design the best motorization, i decided to create a simple proof of concept (POC) so that i can study it and improve without spending 2 years on this. So, in one afternoon, i was able to do the following;

Option A was discarded as being too weak. Efforts concentrated on Option B with the 1/10 gearbox and RS540 motor.

POC construction as follows;

Reused the discarded plastic gear and the leftover from the metal shaft. A hole for the connection to the drive shaft was made, and a anchor pin was inserted at the proper location for the gear. Being aluminum, this took at few minutes.

Capture1.JPG

Basic design for the two main drive shafts for front and rear units.

Capture2.JPG

A simple mount is designed.

Capture3.JPG

And mounted with a few drops of superglue. As this is a POC, only the final design will be made solid later.

Capture4.JPG

I had to remove a reinforcement bracket from suspension unit B and C in order to accommodate the drive shaft to the gearbox.

Capture5.JPG

View of the two main gears now linked.

Capture5a.JPG

Both units are now installed.

Capture6.JPG

The gearbox is mounted on a temporary basis just to check the integration and how things runs. The motor is connected to the Clark TK40.

Capture7.JPG

Front

Capture8.JPG

Rear

Capture9.JPG

And here is a short video of the running test of the Proof of concept. It’s not really smooth, the gears are new and the running is rough. Various improvements will be made on the next version. I can provide additional room for the motor drive shaft to be extended, more strait and lower the gearbox. Works ok at slow speed, allowing the GTK to likely become a crawler as well.

phpBB [video]

continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sun May 23, 2021 12:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:45 pm

The motorization with the 1/10 gearbox and 540 motor has a lot of potential, and quite affordable.

Capture11.JPG

Metal gears were ordered to replace the plastic one used on the POC.

Capture10.JPG
Capture10.JPG (91.5 KiB) Viewed 469 times

Regards, Louis

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Sun May 23, 2021 11:00 pm

Hi,

The motorization of the GTK Boxer is done.

Following the POC yesterday, i have reworked one of the axle gearbox that was giving problems. The four screws shown below were screwed too tightly and putting pressure on the pinion gear... The noise was unmistakable but it took me a while to find the cause.

Capture0.JPG
Capture0.JPG (50.13 KiB) Viewed 417 times

I shortened the shafts to the main drive gears by eliminating a planned third support with a ball bearing. Testing showed that the shaft are ok with 2 supports as shown, giving me back a few priceless millimeters, allowing me to lower the motor and main gearbox.

Capture1.JPG

A crude mount was designed for the main motor/gearbox. It will be reinforced later after the steering is designed.

Capture2.JPG

A small bolt with a washer against the flanged ball bearing at the tip is holding the shafts in place, squeezed between the two ball bearings. I am making use of the pre-drilled hole and bolts at the tip that came with the leftover of the upgraded metal drive shaft. Never discard anything...

Capture3.JPG

Now i only have to replace the plastic gear by a metal one when it arrives, then the mounts will be reinforced.

Capture4.JPG

It now runs more smoothly and the following demonstration is done at low speed at first, slowly increasing to top speed, forward and reverse. It is a fast, cheap and simple design. I ran it for 10 minutes without problems. The real Boxer has a top speed of 103km/h, It seems this will do the job well, from crawling to top speed.

phpBB [video]

Next step is to design the steering.

Regards, Louis
Last edited by lmcq11 on Mon May 24, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lmcq11

Postby Raminator » Mon May 24, 2021 9:16 am

I'm ashamed to admit that I nearly skipped over this thread since I'm not interested in current-generation military vehicles. What a mistake that would've been!

Terrific work with the motorisation Louis, it's an impressive feat of engineering and a work of art all in one. I really like the way you've dropped the axis of rotation down to the driveshafts. Now if only the outside were a BTR-70 or Sd.Kfz. 234. ;)
Raminator
Staff Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon May 24, 2021 10:01 am

Just Genius..........what else is there to say ...............
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby BarryC » Mon May 24, 2021 12:22 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:Just Genius..........what else is there to say ...............

That about covers it! :thumbup:

Barry
BarryC

Postby lmcq11 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:49 pm

Thank you Raminator, Herman and Barry !

This build is really fun. WLTOYS provides cheap, high quality and full range of metal upgrade parts that can be readily used to experiment on wheeled armored vehicles. It takes a few days of work to get something together. And plenty of cheap replacement parts if something goes wrong. I have a few good Chinese eBay sellers that use SpeedPak delivery, i can get stuff in within two weeks. Much better that my next build kit who has been stuck in a German airport for past 4 weeks.

Capture10.JPG
WLTOYS A979
Capture10.JPG (93.3 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Capture11.JPG
WLTOYS A979

Regards, Louis

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:27 am

Continuing with the build.

Chris did a bad joke on me. I assumed the positioning holes for the suspension were centered with the external body. They are not... I had a small shock when i dry fit the skirts and noticed the misalignment. Very annoying, i had to reposition the suspension module A and B, reinstall them more forward and redo the shaft integration. I few hours of rework. Be warned. Make sure to align the suspension with the skirts first, no assumptions.

Capture1.JPG

Anyway, it gave me the occasion to complete the metal upgrades for the steering.

Capture2.JPG

And also for the adjustable suspension bars, replacing the plastic bars. This upgrade is mandatory for this build.

Capture3.JPG

Overview of the repositioned and upgraded suspension.

Capture3a.JPG

This built is quite fun. If you are starting to be fed up with RC tanks while you are doing your sixth Tiger or Sherman..., doing a 8x8 wheeled vehicle is an entirely new world.

Capture4.JPG

The adjustable metal steering and suspension bars are mandatory in order to correctly set the pitch and directions for each wheel.

Capture5.JPG

Frontal module A. Notice the steering going towards the back.

Capture6.JPG

Middle suspension module B.

Capture7.JPG

Overview of the steering solution. Each steering module has its own regular size servo connected to a push rod, both are working in tandem with a Y connector to channel 6 assigned to the VRB knob for driving the vehicle. The gearbox and motor were dismounted for the task.

Capture8.JPG

Starting body construction.

Capture15.JPG

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:36 am

The tires have arrived.

Capture16.JPG

I could modify and reused the plastic rims if i have to.

Capture17.JPG

Dry fitting the tires to see if they are of the right size. They look good with the GTK 3D printed hub caps from Ludwigs. Cannot find better matching tires for the price.

Capture18.JPG

I have these narrower metal rim on order, they come with larger Hex mounts. I am crossing my fingers that it will work. Otherwise, i will have 8 plastic rims to modify.

Capture19.JPG
Capture19.JPG (78.3 KiB) Viewed 218 times

Comparing the GTK Boxer with the Metal Origins SdKfz 234/2 Puma being build in parallel, both 1/16. I am surprised how big the GTK is compared to the much smaller and narrower WW2 Puma.

Capture20.JPG

Regards, Louis

lmcq11

Postby Raminator » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:06 am

It's amazing how big these modern IFVs are. I remember your Marder was nearly as big as a Leopard 2, so the Boxer is going to dwarf any WW2 vehicle.

A shame about the alignment issues with the kit but if anyone could have fixed it, it was you!
Raminator
Staff Sergeant

Next

Return to Modern builds