Chieftain (Haya) Mk.5 to Mk.10 Modification Build

43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Chieftain (Haya) Mk.5 to Mk.10 Modification Build

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Dr Phibes wrote:Yes 43rd, I thought you mentioned the all-night shows too a while back, it's nice to know there's still a few of us about that remember fondly those marathon horror-fests :clap:
I had in mind something like the UJ you suggest and it should be fairly straight forward to design for 3D printing. I was thinking maybe use a simple brass bushing running in a rubber o-ring with a little grease as it won't be spinning just turning fairly slowly and it won't matter too much either even if if it leaks (smoke) a little.

(funny you should mention the Sherlock pipe thing - I went through a very similar stage when I was a bit younger - and I was a big fan of of Conan Doyle's canon - read all 56 short stories and the four novels as well. Still love Jeremy Brett's interpretation most and to this day! :D )
:D The bushing and 'o' ring combo is roughly what I envisaged too. Incidentally,
I'm in total agreement with Jeremy Brett's ultra-nuanced, and highly watchable performance as the great sleuth. I watched every episode, utterly immersed in that version of Baker Street life. I understand that Jeremy's own immersion in the role was so great, that it triggered a breakdown, at one point. I'm also still in awe of Basil Rathbone as Holmes :thumbup: :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Thanks Herman, for some very useful suggestions, I'll see if I can source something similar locally.

Yes, 43rd, we should never overlook Rathbone as Holmes :thumbup:
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Update: Well, for those that might be interested in this conversion build here are a few short videos I attempted of the finished (more or less) Chieftain MK.10 and a little look around it on the worktop. Don't expect too much, I remain pretty hopeless at this film-making malarkey for sure! I made them a little while back and thought they might still be of interest to anyone thinking of upgrading their Haya (or other) Chieftain at some point.

Part one is just a closer look around the tank.
Part two briefly shows the breech and elevation working.
Part three is something of a running demonstration of the this Chieftain's features.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Some how I missed this! I'll check it out

Return to “Modern Builds”