Chieftain (Haya) Mk.5 to Mk.10 Modification Build

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Chieftain (Haya) Mk.5 to Mk.10 Modification Build

Post by HERMAN BIX »

There is a Doctor "In -Da-House" ...........outstanding work Sir.
Great to have you back & creating marvels.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Thank you Mr. Herman and Raminator, your support is very much appreciated.

Likewise, thank you BarryC and Imcq11. Regarding the apparently clean workshop environment, it is exactly that in my case - 'apparent'. Usually I shift all the junk out of the way, cover things up, and quickly move my tank garage queens in for a photo shoot, of sorts (i'm as bad at photography as my wife is at driving :haha: )
Truthfully, though, my 'toy room' as everyone calls old grandpa's hobby space is very small - you couldn't swing a hamster in it let alone a cat. Hence one gets to be fairly tidy and creative regarding economical use of available space.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Simply brilliant sir! I'm in absolute awe
Karl_Diesel
Lance Corporal

Post by Karl_Diesel »

a wonderful Chieftain and a perfect build !
:clap: :clap: :clap:
regards
the Karl

active vehicles :
- Magach 6B
- BTR-80
- M1A2 SEP V2
- Tiran 5
- SPz Marder
- M113 Zelda
- Dozer D9R

under construction :
- Type 74
- Leopard 1 BARV "Samson"
- Super Pershing
- WPL 4x4 Gun Truck
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Respect Sir! :clap: :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:O :O :clap: Another masterpiece, Doc!

'Phibes tech' really brought a big smile to my face for, as you know, I was a fan of the original films- and only recently rewatched them. Tech-wise, the 1/4 in jack plug in Vincent's Phibes' neck, and the attendant facial expression, always bring on the full guffaw mode for me. :haha:

The helical gearing and general component layout, hint at a touch of design genius. :clap:
I see that you've also got the smoking barrel option installed there, in an earlier photo. Is it still connected up to your own recoil unit? :)
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Thanks again everyone.
43rd, oh yes, I'd forgotten about Phibes' jack plug ( :D marvelous). As you know, I love the Hammer horrors (and Vincent Price's weird characters generally :thumbup: ) and in years past when we used to actually go to a cinema I remember those all night shows that introduced me to delights such as 'The Witchfinder General' and 'The house of Wax' - corny old nostalgia, I know, but that's part of the charm I suppose :thumbup:

You are right, I have kept the HL smoking barrel conversion - it was actually fairly easy to incorporate within the breech design. The problems may come later if I decide to convert the turret to 360 traverse as this will probably entail designing a universal joint for the barrel smoke tube. I will need this especially if I upgrade to barrel stabilization, etc, at a later date.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:O A Universal joint for a smoke tube?! :D A mini version of something like this might do
Image if it works for water, it will work for smoke.

However, thinking of a briar pipe ( I smoked one for a year or two, trying to cut a sort of Sherlock image :/ :D ). Instead of having the mouthpiece press, or screw into place, all that's needed is an internal groove in one pipe that a matching circular flange on the other pipe can rotate in.
Anyway, if anyone can combine all of the most desired functions (360 deg rotation; smoking barrel; flashing barrel; recoiling barrel) in one unit- I'm confident that it's none other than your good self.

Incidentally, and maybe I've mentioned it before, when I was a student at Sussex Uni., I used to go to all-night horror shows on Western Rd, in Brighton. Sadly, the fleapit showing all those Hammer horror flicks has now long gone; but at least the memories remain. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Yes 43rd, I thought you mentioned the all-night shows too a while back, it's nice to know there's still a few of us about that remember fondly those marathon horror-fests :clap:
I had in mind something like the UJ you suggest and it should be fairly straight forward to design for 3D printing. I was thinking maybe use a simple brass bushing running in a rubber o-ring with a little grease as it won't be spinning just turning fairly slowly and it won't matter too much either even if if it leaks (smoke) a little.

(funny you should mention the Sherlock pipe thing - I went through a very similar stage when I was a bit younger - and I was a big fan of of Conan Doyle's canon - read all 56 short stories and the four novels as well. Still love Jeremy Brett's interpretation most and to this day! :D )
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

https://www.pneumaticsolutions.com.au/3 ... elbow.html

https://www.pneumaticsolutions.com.au/3 ... elbow.html

Swivel joint. 4mm examples
Used in all pneumatic controlled production systems.
Im sure there will be a way of joining the smoker hose to one of these types of fittings.
Im sure you guys will be able to get the same things up there.
Find a reputable pneumatic controls supplier & go for your life ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Modern Builds”