Hooben 1:10 Leopard 2A4 build log

inger
Recruit

Re: Hooben 1:10 Leopard 2A4 build log

Post by inger »

I haven't been totally satisficed with my rendition of Barracuda mobile camouflage.

My original test pieces used a thermoplastic sheet with an embeded structural mesh. I've now sourced a version of the thermoplastic sheet without the mesh.
Thermoplastic sheets
Thermoplastic sheets
themoplastic .JPG (38.51 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Not only is the sheet noticeably thinner but has a putty like consistency when heated. Because the heated sheet is quite sticky , I tried pressing the garnish directly onto the soft plastic. This has worked nicely and has eliminated the need to use glue.
MCS test
MCS test
themoplastic2.JPG (42.91 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Because this type of sheet doe not have the structural mesh, it also conforms more snuggly to curves and sharp angles. I think I will get to something close the original. The thermoplastic sheet itself will also accurately replicate those areas of high crew traffic where the garnish has completely come away from the heat absorbing material.
MCS applied to the Leopard hull
MCS applied to the Leopard hull
MCS1.JPG (59.23 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Moving the turret drive.

I had some time this weekend to move the drive from the hull to the turret itself. This will let me use an IR link from hull to turret rather than a slip-ring.

Moving the drive motor wasn't too difficult but switching the turret drive gear required printing a new part.
Original turret drive gear (in black) and new drive gear.
Original turret drive gear (in black) and new drive gear.
IMG_0509.JPG (41.58 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
The new part in place
The new part in place
IMG_0510.JPG (33.93 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
Turret and elevation drive motors and reduction gearboxes.
Turret and elevation drive motors and reduction gearboxes.
IMG_0511.JPG (43.67 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
The new turret drive arrangement
The new turret drive arrangement
IMG_0512.JPG (37.05 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

After some test runs, and I made some rollers for a more secure fit of the turret into the race.
Rollers added to the old turret gear attachment pints. The rollers hold the turret in place and prevent any wobbling during traverse.
Rollers added to the old turret gear attachment pints. The rollers hold the turret in place and prevent any wobbling during traverse.
IMG_0514.JPG (42.53 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Powerful solutions, well done. I assume the planned electronics has the power supply for these to operate normally and that you won’t have to do weight management at one point. This will be a heavy model.
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Thanks for comments!

I will be running two electrical systems: 7.2volts in the turret and 12volts in the hull. I have run the hull with a 7.2volt power supply and no problems.

I expect the overall weight of the model to be a little under 20kg.
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Howdy, some progress on the 3D models for the conversion Leopard 2A4 to 2A4M CAN.
Hull Armour Left Side
Hull Armour Left Side
Hull Armour LH.png (26.74 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
Mantlet Armour Extension
Mantlet Armour Extension
Mantlet.png (17.38 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
Left Track Skirt
Left Track Skirt
Skirt LH.png (21.85 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
Turret Bustle.
Turret Bustle.
Turret Bussle.png (32.44 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
Turret Spaced Armour Left Side
Turret Spaced Armour Left Side
Turret Armour LH.png (65.02 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
All the 3D models are ready for printing, and I have sent the first batch for the turret conversion to the printers.

I haven't been happy with the new turret drive arrangement, so I have made some modifications to the drive gear. I'll be re-installing the drive at some point this weekend.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Great looking parts.

In 1/10 scale, these will be very large parts that would cost a fortune if commercially printed. I thought that since all of them will be completely covered by the Barracuda fabric, It might be simpler to approximately shape them in a cheaper material like plastic plates or even wood. But I realize now that the trend is to design and 3D print almost everything. It will look awesome.
inger
Recruit

Re: Hooben 1:10 Leopard 2A4M CAN conversion log

Post by inger »

Hi Louis,

You are quite right on all fronts. I had considered both wood and polystyrene sheets. For the time being I have opted to print at least the turret armour. This set of parts has some really complex angles that will be visible because they are not quite covered with the camouflaged system. I know I would struggle to point of despair getting the right angles in either wood or plastic.

I looked very closely at your Leopard C2 MEXAS build, particularly the methods used to transfer dimensions from the Meng kit to polystyrene sheets. Its a very impressive piece of work, as is your Boxer. You are using great some techniques which I will need to try.

I think the other consideration has been that I have been able ensure all the pieces will fit correctly first time round!

The saving grace of covering the majority of parts in camouflage is that I do not need to use a super fine 3D print quality. I can use "draft" quality and that reduces the cost significantly.

At the moment, I have had a small challenge crop up in the turret drive alterations. Out of the box, the turret is held in place by turret drive "cog" - same layout as most Heng Long models. Moving the drive into the turret has meant not having the turret held in place by anything other than turret race and ring. Because there is some play at the moment between the ring and race, the turret jitters on traverse. I think the issue can be fixed by fitting some tiny roller bearings which should fix the problem.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

For the turret, you could try to create some sort of turret basket with a large rod at the bottom center that anchors on a ball bearing at the bottom of the hull and that keeps the turret firmly in place when it rotates.
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Now that's a very good idea - thanks!

Return to “Modern Builds”