Hooben 1:10 Leopard 2A4 build log

inger
Recruit

Hooben 1:10 Leopard 2A4 build log

Post by inger »

Hello,

I am about to start a build, or to be accurate a re-build of Hooben's 1:10 scale Leopard 2A4 and conversion to 2A4M CAN standard as deployed to Afghanistan. Should be be fairly straightforward.....

Some background: this is a project I have in mind for about 8 years. I have previously built this particular Leopard as 1:35 static model.

For an even longer time I have been eyeing-off Peter Muller's all metal Leopards in 1:16,10, 8 scale and have always left them as a bit of pipe dream. As most will be aware, these models are a serious financial investment. Beyond the price tag, the 1:10 and 1:8 models are really heavy, so the cost of freight from Germany to Australia is almost as much as the model itself. Lastly, I am not set-up with tools etc for metal work.

Enter Hooben. I expect everyone will be familiar with Hooben and will have an opinion. Around 7 years ago I brought the T-55A and had an enjoyable few years build a static Iraqi version. The end result is show below:
T-55.JPG
Turning this build. Again, most will know that a 1:16 Leopard 2A4 has featured on the Hooben website for a very long time and has yet to see the light of day. My original plan was use the 1:16 scale model as the start point for my conversion.

I was pleasantly surprised when 1:10 model made an appearance. The tipping point that caused me to part with some cash was a short video Hooben posted on the Facebook Shop. Just looking at the how the suspension was assembled was enough to convince me it would be solid start point for a seriously good build.

As some will know, dealing directly with Hooben can be something of "challenge". To help me with buying from China, I employ a translator who talks directly with the factory - this make everything smoother and overcome any issues with delivery time, what is actually in-stock vice something that is still a dream! I did this with the Leopard buy and with Can Shuo earlier.

Nine days after placing the order the model arrived. Pictures speak a thousand words:

I have hit the maximum image limit for this post....more in the following posts
Attachments
Once again, great packaging.
Once again, great packaging.
9.JPG (44.88 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
Despite the careful packaging, the MG3 was broken
Despite the careful packaging, the MG3 was broken
8.JPG (39.74 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
Screwdriver, Allan key and detail parts
Screwdriver, Allan key and detail parts
7.JPG (44.46 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
Separately boxed TX - looked encouraging at the time of unboxing....
Separately boxed TX - looked encouraging at the time of unboxing....
6.JPG (45.24 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
The packing was very good
The packing was very good
5.JPG (40.26 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
Always amusing translations
Always amusing translations
IMG_0303.JPG (44.2 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
Unboxing and Instruction manual
Unboxing and Instruction manual
2.JPG (32.49 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
A Big Very Sturdy box
A Big Very Sturdy box
1.jpg (39.19 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
inger
Recruit

Re: Hooben 1:10 Leopard 2A4 build log

Post by inger »

Further Images....

More to follow, along with some commentary on the electronics etc etc

Inger
Attachments
Impressive roller bearing turret race
Impressive roller bearing turret race
29.JPG (33.6 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Lower hull
Lower hull
26.JPG (56.21 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Under the hood
Under the hood
20.JPG (51.66 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Belly showing upper-hull release knob. Tracks are nylon. Road wheels have rubber tires.
Belly showing upper-hull release knob. Tracks are nylon. Road wheels have rubber tires.
18.JPG (44.57 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Tools - molded tool holders - not unexpected but will replaced during the re-build
Tools - molded tool holders - not unexpected but will replaced during the re-build
17.JPG (39.12 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Front view - the upper hull has a slight warp
Front view - the upper hull has a slight warp
16.JPG (43.3 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Tow ropes are stainless steel wire
Tow ropes are stainless steel wire
15.JPG (44.2 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Detail of the smoke dischargers
Detail of the smoke dischargers
14.JPG (46.27 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
IR battle system
IR battle system
13.JPG (37.93 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Good detail - better than expected
Good detail - better than expected
14.JPG (46.27 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Further images....
Torsion bar suspension
Torsion bar suspension
22.JPG (43.55 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
Power and charging ports are under the engine fan
Power and charging ports are under the engine fan
27.JPG (39.19 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
Barrel recoil and elevation
Barrel recoil and elevation
31.JPG (45.82 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
33.JPG
33.JPG (43.73 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
34.JPG
34.JPG (36.91 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
Barrel counter weight
Barrel counter weight
35.JPG (36.77 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
Some observations.

Hooben sell these models as RTR. I my case the Leopard was not even vaguely RTR!

- The TX supplied bore no resemblance to the one shown in the instruction manual.
- On powering up, nothing (nothing) functioned. That's not entirely true, all the lights did illuminate and flash. No matter what channel was in use, or which stick was was applied nothing worked.
- For some inexplicable reason, moving one of the TX trim controls did finally cause the chassis to move forward. The only way to then stop the chassis was to turn of the main power supply.
- The vehicle control unit (as Hooben call it) bares some resemblance to those from Heng Long but in the my opinion the quality is poor in comparison.
- The instruction manual is not particularly useful and does not include any form wiring diagram making fault find close to impossible. In my case, I really didn't bother even trying to fault find.
- I ended up using my own spare TX/RX, by passed the control unit and got the motors running and was able make a small test run. Video to follow.
- The model came fitted with an IR battle system.

Turing to the model itself, this was in all respects a pleasant surprise.

- The overall detail is good and better than I was expecting. Out of the box, it is an impressive model and certainly not "toy-like". Many will be quite satisfied with level of detail "as is". For me the pleasure of this hobby is in the build, and aside from a complete type conversion, my plan is to make very most out of the huge canvas an add as much extra or improve detail as I can.
- In my opinion the construction technique used Hooben is quite clever. The entire lower hull, less the rear is formed and welded stainless steel. The torsion bar suspension is all very securely screwed in place. The torsion bars themselves and made from 3.5mm rod.
- Swing arms and road wheels are molded nylon. The road wheels have separate rubber tires. At the time of writing I have not disassembled the road wheels see what the axles are made of or what bearings are used.
- The idler and drive sprockets are metal. A track tensioner forms part of the idler assembly.
- The tracks are molded nylon with rubber track pads. Double track pins, as per the real tracks, hold the links together. The track horns or guides are separate pieces, again, as per the real tracks.
- The upper hull comprise an outer detail layer of molded nylon screwed and probably also glued to a stainless steel "skeleton". In my view, this manufacturing method is very clever. The steel skeleton makes the whole model very robust and rigid while the nylon layer reduces the overall weight of the model while allowing for high levels of detail to be molded on to the hull. The turret is manufactured in the same way.
- Many detail components are molded separately and held in place by pins and friction! This is in contrast to the metal parts which are screwed in place and secured with a Loctite type paste.
- The lighting system is complete and with the right electronics, should function very nicely.

Turing to my build plan.

I will convert the model to the 2A4M CAN as deployed to Afghanistan by Canada in 2011/12.

The 2A4M CAN is shown below.
Leopard 2A4M CAN
Leopard 2A4M CAN
leopard_2a4m_can_l6.jpg
Leopard 2A4M CAN before fitting the Saab Barracuda Mobile Camouflage System
Leopard 2A4M CAN before fitting the Saab Barracuda Mobile Camouflage System
At the moment I expect that I will make the conversion in two steps.

1. Strip out all electronics, less lighting and replace them with a complete set from German SGS Electronic (https://www.sgs-electronic.de/). This will include barrel stabilisation and wireless connection between the hull and turret. Test new electronics etc

2. Model conversion work, starting with the hull and working up to turret.

My target is to complete the build by October....
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:) Oh, this is going to be fun to see! I am glad you will be showing the build with so many photos. Thanks! :thumbup:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Inger,

Beautiful static T-55, I think you're going to fit in quite well here! :thumbup: I'm impressed with the Hooben Leopard, it looks quite good right out of the box. The big Leopard is my favorite modern MBT as it seems to somehow still have some WW2 Germanic tank lines to it!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Hello Everybody,

A little bit of progress. I need to remove the barrel elevation drive motor supplied and replace it with a servo. The electronics that I plan use have barrel elevation features that will only function with a servo controlling barrel elevation and depression.

To remove the motor has meant removing the barrel and stripping the turret bare.
Barrel assembly with counterweight and recoil servo
Barrel assembly with counterweight and recoil servo
38.JPG (46.87 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
The elevation drive is identical to the turret drive, which I have also removed from the underside of the upper hull. This will be re-installed in the turret so that there is no wiring between hull and turret.

Some of you will have seen that various wiring harnesses have been labeled by Hooben. This would be useful if the labeling was correct.

In the photo below you can see that the wire is labelled "barrel elevation". In fact this is the barrel elevation drive.
Stripped turret, showing steel skeleton and the removed barrel elevation drive motor.
Stripped turret, showing steel skeleton and the removed barrel elevation drive motor.
36.JPG (48.37 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Interesting. Do you have plans to reproduce the Barracuda camouflage system ?
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Howdy. Yes, I have a plan to reproduce the Saab Barracuda camouflage. Although it will cover some of the surface detail, I think the mobile camouflage system will make for an interesting and unique model.

Here is a shot of the garnish material. I will be making some test camouflage panels in the next few weeks.
Camouflage garnish. Saab Barracuda Mobile Camouflage System in 1:10 scale
Camouflage garnish. Saab Barracuda Mobile Camouflage System in 1:10 scale
39.JPG (60.51 KiB) Viewed 3827 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Until just now, I had not seen your build of the IDF Centurion. I have no idea how you are going to make anything more realistic than that. This truly is going to be a stunning build to watch.
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Hi thanks for your positive comments. One of the reasons I'm here is because I know this will be a tricky and at times frustrating build and from time to time I will need encouragement to keep at it !!!

(BTW did you mean Iraqi T-55A or are you confusing me with someone else?)

Return to “Modern Builds”