Hooben 1:10 Leopard 2A4 build log

inger
Recruit

Re: Hooben 1:10 Leopard 2A4 build log

Post by inger »

Howdy,

Along with preparing for a bathroom renovation, I have managed to make some progress on my Leopard turret.

I have almost completed detailing the turret bar armour. The assembly just needs a couple of bolt heads added. I will not permanently attach bar armour until the final steps of the build. This will make it easier to paint and fix the Saab Barracuda camouflage panels to the turret.
Completed Bar Armour 2.JPG
Completed Bar Armour 2.JPG (48.76 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
Bar Armour Detail.JPG
Bar Armour Detail.JPG (38.58 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
I have also completed the stowage basket mounts. The mounts consist of brackets and retaining pin that support and hold the basket in place as shown in the right of the following reference image.
Turret Rear.JPG
Turret Rear.JPG (61.35 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
Stowage Basket Holders 2.JPG
Stowage Basket Holders 2.JPG (41.19 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
Stowage Basket Holders.JPG
Stowage Basket Holders.JPG (49.88 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
I have also started to make spare grouser and track connector racks for the turret baskets, as shown in this image:
Stowage Basket .JPG
Stowage Basket .JPG (63.85 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
I removed some grousers from the front front of the upper hull and attached the new racks directly to the individual grouser.
Grousers. 2.JPG
Grousers. 2.JPG (47.3 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
Grousers.JPG
Grousers.JPG (45.38 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
I started making the holders for the track connectors and needed to make a run to my local hobby shop to stock up on Evergreen rod and sheet. While there I discovered that after a COVID enforced 12 month absence our State plastic model expo was back on!!!
Expo Flyer.JPG
Expo Flyer.JPG (60.37 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
This is an event I have enjoyed in the past and after an enforced absence not to be missed. So, I paused this build for a couple of weekends to work on something for the expo.

After checking my stash, I decided to build one of the prototype FV214 Mk1 Conquerors , 40 BA 77.
Conqueror-Tank-Mk1-in-the-foreground-Centurion-Mk3-in-the-background.jpg
Conqueror-Tank-Mk1-in-the-foreground-Centurion-Mk3-in-the-background.jpg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
Given the expo was only a few weeks of, I kept the build as close to "out-of-the-box" as possible.
Last edited by inger on Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

There are several 1:35 Conqueror Mk1 and Mk2 kits on the on the market (There is even a 1:16 3D print model out there!). I had the Amusing Hobby example in my stash.
Box art.jpg
The build was quite quick taking a couple of Sundays. The build was to have been OOB but along the way I discovered that at some point I had bought a Voyager PE set and ended using some detail parts from the set.
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG (35.87 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG (38.69 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
IMG_0731.JPG
IMG_0731.JPG (55.48 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Conqueror 3.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG (43.44 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
I will be doing a little more weathering over the coming weekend. Given the model is of a factory fresh Fighting Vehicle Research and Development Establishment test vehicle, the weathering will be quite restrained. If I have the time, I will add some crew and ground work for a "Bovington Camp 1955" vignette.
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

The finished Conqueror.
Conqueror-Mk1.jpeg.JPG
Conqueror-Mk1.jpeg.JPG (38.47 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Unfortunately, the Expo organisers failed to arrange for enough competition judges, so the model wasn't technically assessed! Oh well...

Back to the Leopard build next weekend....
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Contest or no, that was a fine bit of work for a modest diversion from your Leopard. I hope you will be able to give us a sound video when you get to it. I am impressed. To use an old-fashioned, but appropriate term, your Leopard's sound--and the whole tank--is strictly Hi Fi !
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Contest or no, that was a fine bit of work for a modest diversion from your Leopard. I hope you will be able to give us a sound video when you get to it. I am impressed. To use an old-fashioned, but appropriate term, your Leopard's sound--and the whole tank--is strictly Hi Fi !
Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, I will certainly be posting video when I get to an appropriate stage. I really want to get the turret completed before the end of the year. Once I finish with a bit more detail work, I am going set to work on the Saab Barracuda cam. I can already tell this will be a time consuming and "make or break" stage of the build.

Return to “Modern Builds”