Scratch build US Army "Scout" Armoured recon vehicle XM800 T

abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: Scratch build US Army "Scout" Armoured recon vehicle XM8

Post by abramsky »

Wery nice job Sub :thumbup:
Since I can't build anything myself, I admire your scratch build skills and keep my fingers crossed as I wait for the work to finish. I'm a modern guy as well, and it's a shame that there are so few modern designs on the forums (not just here )...
Anyways. I can't wait for You and Barry to finish Your beauties :)
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi, Mr Abramsky.
Thank you for your interest and kind words, it is a real shame that folks don't look at the post WW2 era of Armoured vehicles so much as the scope for different vehicles is enormous, as for scratch building its been a case of over 50 yrs of experience, and learning the hard way over the years, and starting off making something simple and gradually making more difficult and complex shapes and throwing most in the bin and restarting lol...most people get overwhelmed by looking at the whole thing, but you really need to look at it in smaller bits at a time, make that then move onto the next piece and so on...

Someone once asked an airline pilot how they managed to look at all those guages and dials at once....they replied I don't I only look at the one i need to read!!!.

Further work done i made 8 low profile periscopes for the turret top and glued them in place, plus some form of bracket and step on the turret commanders side.

Sub.
Attachments
20210227_143646_resized.jpg
20210227_143426_resized.jpg
20210227_143417_resized.jpg
20210227_143406_resized.jpg
20210227_143400_resized.jpg
20210226_165757_resized.jpg
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Decided to have a few days off the exterior building and do some electronic wizardry....or attempt to, and try to avoid the blue smoke.......LOL..

So i decided as i have a few modern vehicles now to make something that only modern tanks and some Infantry fighting vehicles have...An Automatic Deck level sensor for the barrell, after a couple of days thinking and rummaging through my electronics scrap box i came up with this cobbling parts together from left over old electronic bits.

Its on a test rig to test the functionality, and i can adjust the throw etc but that needs to be done when fitted into the specific vehicle its in.
Hope some of you find the short test video of some interest.
I was rather pleased with the results.
Cheers.

https://youtu.be/dXozVtw70iU

Sub.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Well done Sub :thumbup:
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi Mr Abramsky
Thank you Sir.
Sub.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

phpBB [video]

Hi Folks.
Little update on the XM800T,
I had to modify the Cannon barrel lifting mechanism as i wanted to fit my gun barrel deck auto leveller into this model, it worked fine for normal servo operation but just lacked the finesse of what was required for the electronics i made so i converted it from servo arm operation to a set of gears and this was much more suited to the deck level sensor.
A few pics of the conversion and a short you tube video of the now installed Cannon auto deck level sensor working and fitted to the tank, now onto barrel stabalisation if i can figure it out.
Please ignore the wonky brass barrel as it is not centralised or fixed in position yet, its just pushed in its hole for demonstration purposes.
Regards.
Sub.
Attachments
20210310_142138_resized.jpg
20210310_142447_resized.jpg
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Motors, gearboxes mounted for trial fitting.
Road wheels, suspension all fitted for alignment tests.
Scatch built idler mounts and track tension adjusters from brass fitted together with modified P1V road wheels for the smaller idler wheels that are fitted.
All bolted up and track had perfect alignment ( The time spent early in the build measuring and working out all the positions proved time well spent).
Wheels need cosmetic upgrades to resemble plain steel wheels of original.
Few photos added of the above and final track fitted and adjusted to correct tension.
Video to follow shortly of testing of rolling chassis.
Sub.
Attachments
20210327_205935_resized.jpg
20210327_205847_resized.jpg
20210327_205906_resized.jpg
20210325_181232_resized.jpg
20210325_173746_resized.jpg
20210325_173815_resized.jpg
20210325_173041_resized.jpg
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Three cheers for you fascinating and clever work, combining electronic and mechanical engineering. :clap: :clap: :clap: This will--ahem, hint, hint--be in the TOTM contest soon, correct? Now my knowledge of modern AFVs is as follows: what are all those gizmos atop the turret? :S :eh: ??? Someday I hope to find an explanation.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Thank you Herr Dr for you continued intetest and nice comments.
It is quite a difficult model to do and will be as rare as Hens teeth that's for sure and at 1/13 scale is quite big. :haha:
Totm, probably not.
Regards.
Sub.

Return to “Modern Builds”