LAV-25 - Watercannon rebuild

Jarlath
Corporal

Re: LAV-25 - Watercannon rebuild

Post by Jarlath »

Using 3D printing as a easily modifiable medium for design concepts/alterations. (Aka cutting out for servos and driveline axles, etc...) Just a quick simple exacto knife application and BAM, 30 seconds for alterations to the concept. A 2mm thick print is easier to sculpt than 2mm styrene sheet!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Looking good
Are you still using plastic driveshafts? If you are hauling weight then you will get those plastic things popping off all the time, go for the cheap metal looking ones which are quite blocky. There is a cv type which look nice, but they are not as long lasting, although they do allow larger drive angles, but you don't have that issue in your setup.
Steering setup is all cool, looks nicely sorted. Those metal 370 setups are great, i have a few in smaller models, are you going to connect them together or have them seperate so there is more of a differential setup between them?
That's going to weigh quite a bit if filled with water
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Very impressive for a first attempt, especially considering the complexity of the engineering and, consequently, the number of potential trouble spots. :thumbup:
Following along, with a measure of admiration. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Will01Capri wrote:Looking good
Are you still using plastic driveshafts? If you are hauling weight then you will get those plastic things popping off all the time, go for the cheap metal looking ones which are quite blocky. There is a cv type which look nice, but they are not as long lasting, although they do allow larger drive angles, but you don't have that issue in your setup.
Steering setup is all cool, looks nicely sorted. Those metal 370 setups are great, i have a few in smaller models, are you going to connect them together or have them seperate so there is more of a differential setup between them?
That's going to weigh quite a bit if filled with water
The first driveshafts right from the motor/gearboxes are metal already. (Thanks Chris!) I don't think I'll need one for the front driveline.
As the middle axles are the main axles that see input torque I had to ensure that I was beefing them up already. We'll have to see if the trailing rear axle will need the metal upgrade since it is slightly delayed in torque transmission (gear and driveline slop).

I actually was looking at 3d printed steering track rods at first due to the lack of driveline clearance and home made z-bend/loop rods for the steering linkage. I then found a set of rod ends from a micro Helicopter which were perfect for the linkages and the offset allowed me to re-used the WPL track rods.

I'm going to connect the 370's together. Debating on the need for the heatsinks (I'll be putting cooling fans in this anyways). If a single 30A ESC will work then great, otherwise I'll have to look at separate harnesses/channels for them. I'll also be beefing up the wire to a heavier gauge incase of higher current draws (maybe 20 AWG).
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Very impressive for a first attempt, especially considering the complexity of the engineering and, consequently, the number of potential trouble spots. :thumbup:
Following along, with a measure of admiration. :D
This is why I love RC vehicles. The mechanics. Like I said, I love design and tinkering. I leave the detail work/painting to those that are good at it. (I haven't painted a model in 15+ years...)
I'm still debating if I'm going to give this a magnetically attached upper hull like in my tanks...
IF the existing water tank becomes a space claim issue, then I'll make custom tanks that fit into the upper hull and distribute the water mass across a greater area to lessen the driveline stresses in the rear of the tank.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

It has been a bit, but I have re-started the LAV-25 as I take a short break from re-engineering DGSSelkirk's 1/10th Hooben PoS Hetzer into something decent...(LOL)

Found the base RC tank on a whim...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-16-Scale- ... 4625342467
But GD! That's nearly 125 Euro/150 US for the TOY grade base tank!!!
Attachments
Small side shot with the original hull in place...
Small side shot with the original hull in place...
With the original toy hull on top... Perfect fit now...
With the original toy hull on top... Perfect fit now...
Drive motors mounted into the built in mounts on the hull.
Drive motors mounted into the built in mounts on the hull.
All the hull panels and plated installed. Frame screws directly to the 3D hull floor.
All the hull panels and plated installed. Frame screws directly to the 3D hull floor.
10 hours later, 2 of 6 hull pieces printed...
10 hours later, 2 of 6 hull pieces printed...
Planning the build in 3D. Converted the 3D hull into 6 parts
Planning the build in 3D. Converted the 3D hull into 6 parts
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Looking good. Should turn out to be a neat conversion with some added detail.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Estnische wrote:Looking good. Should turn out to be a neat conversion with some added detail.
Hope so. Converting the upper hull to be the water tank itself and needing a new water pump due to size constraints.
Go figure the toy grade version has a ton of space inside, but add in a full driveline... and twin drive motors... Sigh.. Shoehorn time!

Return to “Modern Builds”