1/11 Scratch built m1a2 abrams MBT

Mathewloki
Recruit

1/11 Scratch built m1a2 abrams MBT

Post by Mathewloki »

Hello to all this is my first post and first time building a tank I'm currently in the process of making it and I have so many questions I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this

1) why are the road wheels of set from one another is this critical or was it due to the torsion suspension

2) how many track links are on a full set of track of m1 abrams

3) to imitate the suspension what's the best alternative to torsion suspension

4) and if I wanted to model the tank that the wheels aren't offset would there be any pros or cons to this?
IMG-20200417-WA0047.jpeg
Last edited by Mathewloki on Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/11 Scratch built m1a2 abrams MBT

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

1. Yes, because of the torsion suspension.

2. Sorry, I don't know this.

3. There is no real alternative that competes with torsion suspension on a model tank, torsion can use coiled torsion springs or straight torsion bars.

4. If a suspension is set up properly, it doesn't matter if the arms are trailing or leading, because they do the opposite in reverse than they do forwards.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

To clarify number 4, with the modern tanks that have the suspension arms on both sides face the same direction, they compromise with having offset wheels. But with the old tigers, the arms were trailing one side, and leading the other, whereby the wheels were able to be aligned.

As it's your tank, and if you're not bothered by inaccuracies, it matters not which path you take.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Back to number 3.
Alternatively you could do it a similar way to this simplified example.

An opposing arm on the inside of the tank with a tension or compression spring attached to it and the chassis.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200419-003332.jpg
Screenshot_20200419-003332.jpg (81.83 KiB) Viewed 3722 times

Mathewloki
Recruit

Post by Mathewloki »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Back to number 3.
Alternatively you could do it a similar way to this simplified example.

An opposing arm on the inside of the tank with a tension or compression spring attached to it and the chassis.
thank you very much
i was contemplating this approach i intended to use shock absorbers from a 1/10 RC vehicle
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Hi, perhaps I’ve missed it somewhere, but why have you chosen 1/11 ???
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I asked that in his introduction thread.

Mathewloki
Recruit

Post by Mathewloki »

the progress so far: so the start of my build i decided to start with the tracks to fascillitate with measurements ive made an excel spreadsheet with various measurements st scale them to what i need based mostly with information from the internet ive constructed some track padsguides and endcaps

due to how small and tedious they are there are no bushings the have a 3 mm hole but the track pad holes are opened to 3.2 to allow smooth rotation im happy with the outcome so far

i have also done the sprocket and the roadwheels

to adress the reason for the 1/11 scale was because i started with the track section first i initially had 1:14 th scale the pin diameter was 2.4 i had a 2.5 mm drill which was ideal however i didnt have enough clearance to allow rotation and i wasnt aware of any 2.4mm rod or 2.8 mm drill. at 1:11 the pins scale down to approximatelt 3.17 mm the closest stainless or brass rod size i could get was 3mm and i had 3.2 mm drill for clerance on the track pads

i should also mention this tank is mainly 3d printed so far
sprocket
sprocket
20200419_102619-min (1).jpg (94.01 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
road wheel
road wheel
tank tracks assembled
tank tracks assembled
track parts
track parts
proposed gearbox
proposed gearbox
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Thanks for the answer, I’ve never heard that one before lol
Are you 3D printing the parts?
If you are it may be a good idea in investing in the 1/16 Hetzer files, the way it goes together & the way it is designed to give maximum detail, maximum strength & ease of printing is a fantastic tutorial.
I printed it in 1/16 & while waiting for bearings, motors etc to come I’ve started to print it in 1/6.
1/8th pins may be overkill in your chosen scale, I only use 3mm on 1/6 scale. Even still the cost of the pin material can be expensive at larger scales. I’ve been trying 3mm carbon fibre rod on a 1/6th Nashorn & it’s looking pretty good.
Enjoy your endeavour.
Cheers
Wayne

midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Ohhh nosebleed city, I only ever use black for tracks or grey for the body so if the paint gets worn it shows through a natural colour.
If you want the bigger scale why not try 1/10, at least there’s figures out there
Cheers
Wayne

Return to “Modern Builds”