Taigen Leopard/ 2A7+

Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Taigen Leopard/ 2A7+

Post by Jimster »

Thanks, I did not know that. I’ll give that try. After looking over all the parts and internet photos I believe I can figure it all out. Adding servos to make the FLW 200 weapons system operate will be tricky for sure. It’s going to be very rewarding when I get all this put together. The fun is in the journey.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

This evening I sawed off the rear end of the turret halves to allow the installation of the 2A7 rear. The Taigen turret roof is metal (non magnetic), thick and heavy so if required a Dremel and hacksaw but wasn’t too difficult. The sides and bottom were plastic so it was a breeze to cut it off. This turret has 11 screws holding it together so I’m gonna figure out how to add magnets instead. So far, so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Progress photo. This OKMO/DKLM kit is nice but there’s a lot of cutting to do. This was apparently designed to be used with the Tamiya Leopard but I’m getting it to fit my Taigen just fine with a bit of kit modification and trimming. Thanks for checking in. Image

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Last night I installed the Clark servo turret rotation unit including the deck lift feature. Very cool design that I’m sure is old news to you veteran experienced tanker builders but it is quite amazing to my newbie self. Hmm. Do I have my black and white wires crossed on the deck switch? Does it matter?

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Did some more painting tonight. Here’s a couple of progress photos. I can’t wait to see how it will look with the lighter gray camo patches applied. Thanks for looking in.
ImageImage

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I think the camo looks pretty cool and I’m getting the FLW 200 figured out. Just thought I would post a couple of progress photos.
Last night I somehow lost one of the two mounting brackets for my Clark elevation servo. I swear it disappeared right before my eyes. Now I’m making a replacement bracket out of styrene. I’m getting old.
ImageImage

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Following your progress... :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Installed the Clark recoil and elevation unit. I still need to fine tune the servo/gear positions but so far so good.

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:thumbup:
I put one of those in my Cromwell. Yes, tuning it was one niggle, but I was astonished at how much sanding/abrading was needed to get the breech/gun recoil sliding smoothly >:< Overall, though, I'd say it was worth the effort.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Absolutely! Needle files where my friends for sure.

Return to “Modern Builds”