Chieftain mk5

tomhugill
Captain

Chieftain mk5

Post by tomhugill »

Another addition to the British post war line up, a chieftain mk5. I plan is to do her as a Berlin brigade tank complete with block camo.

She's a mixture of 3d printing, brass and styrene, plan on using the PDSGB and tk60 combo of the centurion. Running gear is very similar so similar mods will probably be made, but she will be running reversed bulldog tracks rather than cut down kv-1 tracks.

She's got servo recoil and elevation and will be getting a full set of lights and a switchable targeting laser.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Chieftain mk5

Post by midlife306 »

I miss it already..
Good luck with it Tom
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

midlife306 wrote:I miss it already..
Good luck with it TomImage
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers Wayne! Will be a slow burn build but looking forward to it
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

Really impressive Tom, great work. I really don't know why we don't se more Chieftains and Centurians. I think that once again Tamiya blew it by not producing one of them vice making the Sheridan.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks, been a while since there's been any progress on the chieftain. An abortive commission job later (which I still need to put right) I'm finally making some progress on her.

First job was fitting the gear boxes, got a good deal on some waltersons steel ones so they went in. However I will be replacing with a PDSGB once they come back in stock.

Next up Andy gave me a great deal on the metal chieftain running gear so that had to.be done. There was a bit of slicing and dicing to get the idler adjusters to fit and I needed to fabricate some spacers to get the correct sprocket alignment.

I've also had to add strengthened springs to the rear and front bogies as the original ones were too soft and was collapsing.

For the video she's running a Clark tk60 sbus. She's on es and is probably still too slow so looking at a PDSGB at some point

phpBB [video]

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Chieftain mk5

Post by tomhugill »

Some little bits of progress on the chieftain. The waltersons gearboxes have come out and been replaced with a pdsgb. I've got them in other tanks so when a new one came up for a decent price on ebay it was jumped on. At vast expense I ordered 6 new track links so i could reinstate the adjustable idlers adjusted so they looked right (were too far back before).

I'm really pleased with how it's running, since I got the tension right and had the sprockets running true on the pdsgb shafts I've had no track throws, it'll neutral turn on rough grass without issue. I'm running a tk40 (as I had a couple spare) currently, unfortunately I've since found that to run the 550 motor of the pdsgb you need a tk60/80. 3s tripped the thermal cut out almost straight away. 2s has generally been ok but does trip after a while. I'll be swapping the tk60 in my m51 with the tk40 here and that should sort it. Speed with the fast gearbox on 2s is probably scale but I like to have some in my back pocket so will be going to 3s once I get my tk60 back.

Sadly my barrel was butchered by the guy I commissioned. I jumped for joy when I saw haya offering it separately, until I saw it was £80!!!!!!

Mk modellbau stepped into the breach. Got dimensions off a friends 1/35, scaled it and Martin did the rest. It's going to have the thermal sleeve added when I get my hands on it.

Next stage will be tidying up the work done when I sent it for commission. I also think it's going to be upgraded to at least mk5 standard, probably one of the later ones. Watch this space.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

wow that is impressive, love the craftsmanship being displayed.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Another log where I've been remiss posting updates!

Something that was holding up the build was the barrel, I didnt have a decent solution for the gaiter which meant I couldn't add the mantlet rain cover. This was solved with a 1/10 scaler shock cover. Its not 100% scale but its flexible and does the job. The rain cover I cheated a bit on. I cut the centre hole then laid the big piece of material over and glued the styrene on top. The super glue wicks through and secures the lot. Then i cut along the styrene et voila a rain cover.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Next up on the chieftain, something thats a big part of its look is the side skirts. I used a 1/25 one to scale up from. They're 2mm styrene with 0.5 mm styrene plates. Unfortunately I don't have any square styrene tube for them to fit in but its on order.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Next up was the beginnings of the electrical instalation. The way the hull was built provided a great base for an integrated speaker box which is huge and should give really good sound. Using the usual fr7 speaker (although a bigger one would be possible). I used brass rod to make a port. ImageImage

The tk60 board fits perfectly in front of the gear boxes making for a neat installation.

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Started on the details, made up some lifting hooks and test fitting the headlights.
The headlights will need smb leds and lenses but their basic shaped pretty good.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Modern Builds”