BMP-1 IFV - Soviet army, Afghanistan 1980s - Build

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: BMP-1 IFV - Soviet army, Afghanistan 1980s - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, well thank you very much.

I know most guys like to neatly spread out their complex electronics over the whole length of the interior, sometimes with many speakers and exotic control cards. Although the model is rich in RC features, the focus of this build is different. As an APC with large doors, it was screaming at me for interior details, rotating turret basket and infantry to really come alive. BMPs are rare. I saw a few Russian BMPs on YouTube. They really like to make them amphibious and throw them in a lake to swim around. I prefer dry land and to also keep the finish dry on my models. I know how much damage water can do to a paint job. I hope the Russians will like it.

Here presenting the finished turret exterior.

The Ludwigs kit only provides a skeleton turret shape and a couple of plasticard plates so everything else needs to be studied and scratch built. The Topshots book on the BMP1 is therefore essential with close ups of most components to fill the gaps.
Ludwigs BMP1 BMP-1 RC 1/16 IFV
The completed turret. It is small but I equipped it well. I was previously able to give it a turret basket interior, turret rotation, gun elevation, gun recoil, gun flash, coax MG flash. Now it also has a working spotlight and a manually opening gunner's hatch. There is a large number of electrical cables coming out of the bottom.
I had to study all references to recreate the exterior. The spotlight is an T55 item from AFV_Model, the rest is scratch built the best I could with what I had in material, with the couple of days I wanted to spend on it. The optical device was fun to build in brass.
I decided to create the Sagger missile launcher ramp on top of the gun barrel although I did see that it was sometimes removed completely. No short cut...
The long trap door behind the Sagger missile ramp is for the gunner who opens it in order to manually slide a new missile on the launching ramp without being too exposed.
The 1/16 Maim 3D printed Russian gunner figure shows how small the BMP one man turret really is.
The inside of the gunner's hatch was given details because it will remain opened.
A 5mm LED was inserted into the AFF-Model spotlight. I saw some BMPs with a infra red lights instead of the provided white spotlight so it is an alternative. The clear lens will be installed only after painting.
Close up of the Sagger missile ramp. I kept the detailing to a medium level.
Next step focus will be on the exterior rear of the vehicle. Installing those rear doors in a way that they can be manually opened and closed will be something.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Outstanding work Louis. The bits you cobbled together in a "few days" look just fantastic, and would take the rest of us a few weeks to attempt to replicate if we could. :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
stug 85
Corporal

Post by stug 85 »

Hi there is a company called attracks, I've seen them of Facebook and met him at the Telford model show, he was showing off some 1/16 bmp tracks and sprockets that he had designed and cast hope this helps.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Not got much to say :{
Following on in humble amazement :clap:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Herman, when I read that the first thing that came to mind is that old song ... Lying in a Den in Bombay, with a slack jaw, and not much to say ... :haha: :haha:

But you're not the only one that's amazed. This Louis cat really boggles my mind with his talent. I only hope I'm half that good when I grow up. :haha: 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

stug 85 wrote:Hi there is a company called attracks, I've seen them of Facebook and met him at the Telford model show, he was showing off some 1/16 bmp tracks and sprockets that he had designed and cast hope this helps.
Hi, thank you. Although his facebook page does not mention BMP tracks, there seems to be something very close to it on the picture of the display table. I will send an inquiry.
HERMAN BIX wrote:Not got much to say
Me neither... I must tell you, a BMP build is not for everyone. There is not a single item on this build that is not a struggle to figure out, build, and integrate with the rest. And I mean everything. Its mainly a trial, error and learning experience. Many items had to be redone or repositioned twice. I also had some bad luck. The T34 TK-22 that I ordered is non functional and need to be replaced. I think the Sherman TK-22 I had been using as an interim for testing had an electrical short and is no longer responsive... I think its time for my vacation break. But so far, I have avoided critical mistakes and it should be a good looking BMP when its completed.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,
Presenting the BMP powertrain.

The nature of scratch building on a non commercial RC chassis is that the drive train elements are usually non existant and have to be figured out. I am not yet into 3D printing so there are limitationss. Below is what I put together, awaiting one day something better to put on the BMP.

This is the sprocket I had to get as close to as possible.
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
I previously tested a modified (highly reduced) HL Sherman sprocket to fit the 1/24 tracks but it ended up being too small and it did not look good. While going through the bone yard, I picked up old Tamiya 1/25 Centurion sprockets with teeth that seem to fit the Sherman 1/24 tracks quite well.
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
Here, the Centurion teeth wheels have been separated and tested on the tracks. Perfect fit.
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
Here are the components of the new BMP sprocket before assembly. A Heng Long Sherman sprocket has been cleaned up of all features and cut in half to become the core that will connect to the gearbox.
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
The assembled BMP sprocket. It looks a bit weird like this but it has some basic features of the real one and it runs well in testing. The 1/24 plastic tracks are very light so the plastic sprocket should not have problems running the BMP inside the house at least. Once provided with a hub cap, it should look better. It will have to do until something better becomes available on the market.
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
This is the BMP idler with 5 spokes
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
Capture.JPG (85.37 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
It was previously done using half of a T-90 sprocket and ball bearing inside. It looks ok and works well.
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
Capture0.JPG (49.61 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
This is the real BMP return roller.
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
Scavenging the spare parts reserve, I ended up selecting Tamiya PZ-IV return rollers that I did not use on a previous project. Although the real roller is a drum type, the basic components were there to recreate something close enough, most of it will be hidden behind the side skirts. The hub cap is from the PZ-IV road wheels.
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
Once trimmed and reshaped, this is what it gives.
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
BMP 1/16 RC powertrain
Comtinuing on following post
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Continuing with the power train

Return rollers installed
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
Capture10.JPG (90.82 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
Side skirts needed to be temporarily put in place to determine if everything looked right.
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
Although these 1/24 VS Sherman chevrons are not accurate for the BMP, the width and shape of the tracks are pretty good. No need to adjust anything between the hull and side skirts to make then fit.
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
Capture12.JPG (91.32 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
Looks good
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
Tested one of the road wheel hub cap. Looks good.
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
Overview of the model with one side of the tracks installed.
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
Man, it is looking like a BMP.
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
Next step is the the back of the vehicle. Here is a view of the real vehicle. I also need to order micro hinges for the side skirts.
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
No parts are provided for the rear of the sponsors attaching to the side skirt so this will be scratched built. You can also see that the hinges for the rear door will be a struggle to figure out. But that will be a story that will continue after my 2 weeks winter vacation.
BMP power train 1/16 RC
BMP power train 1/16 RC
Happy new year everyone, see you in 2 weeks.

Louis
rmichalbarna
Private

Post by rmichalbarna »

I love Bmp! Very good! :clap:
http://www.mujtank.tym.cz

Model:Tatra 141 +p32 1/16
T34/85 1/16
Tiger 1 1/16
BMW R 12 sidecar 1/16
yan33