M-113A2 APC - Late 1980s with Tow launcher - Build

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M-113A2 APC - Late 1980s with Tow launcher - Build

Post by BarryC »

Hi Louis,

You build is coming along beautifully. The drive train and running gear solutions seem to work very well.

Would a 12V system give you more speed?

Keep up the great work!

Cheers
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

BarryC wrote:Would a 12V system give you more speed?
Hi Barry,

It is my first experiment with 25GA370 motors with planetary gearbox. They are offered in a large variety of Voltage and RPM configurations. I wanted a crawler but I was concerned that a higher RPM gearbox would not provide enough torque. IThe gearbox seems more tougher than anticipated. At about $10 each, I think it is worth experimenting a bit more so I will likely order 6V motors with 280RPM and see what they got.

Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This is the rear ramp opening mechanism with video at the end of the post.

My initial design where the push rod was completely under the floor had a failure. The various twists on the push rod were creating too much friction, and the push rod did not take the load after a while. Plan B is a more strait push rod from a small servo at the tip of the driver compartment, running under the seat of the driver and under the seat in the rear compartment. It should not show too much when it is all done. The servo will be another black box at the front, a mostly dark area.

It was important to me to keep the bulkhead next to the driver seat clear of servo and push rod when looking at it from above.
M113 rear ramp
M113 rear ramp
A small high torque servo with metal gears is used. The push rod is mostly strait all the way to the back. Nothing special here in terms of design but it was still a lot of work and adjustments to make it work properly. The angle on the driver's seat beam is no mistake, Verlinden has the angle and it has been seen on references.
M113 rear ramp
M113 rear ramp
M113 rear ramp
M113 rear ramp
M113 rear ramp
M113 rear ramp
Capture4.JPG (90.34 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
M113 rear ramp
M113 rear ramp
Capture5.JPG (54.52 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
Below is a YouTube video of the mechanism in action.

https://youtu.be/FGXbLL81J88

Next step is to finish the interior of the driver's compartment, front wall and details.

Regards, Louis
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I dont know how you do it, but I'm glad you do !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Here is the driver's position and the fitting of the Verlinden front and top parts on the Ludwigs chassis.

Verlinden parts are installed as well as a few scratch build ones and a Shapeways com box. Once the model interior is finished and painted, a lot of electrical wires will need to be run between the com box and between other components for a realistic model. The rear ramp servo is not too intrusive and I will be able to mostly hide it with some crew personal equipment and bags.
M113 Driver position
M113 Driver position
Capture.JPG (51 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
M113 Driver position
M113 Driver position
M113 Driver position
M113 Driver position
Here the front Verlinden part is installed with a few superglue drop to keep it in place for placement of the remaining sections. I need this part to be removable for the moment in order to finalize the model, install head lamps, etc. Notice I had to put a plasticard strip at the base for a good fit with the chassis. Maintenance and access to the engine area will be performed by removing the top grill section.
M113 Verlinden front part
A plasticard strip needed to be added on both sides for a proper fit. The Verlinden part was a bit too short and the previous builder of the static M113 did not make it strait. In any cases, the fit on both sides is now excellent.
More plasticard was needed on the inside for a fit of the bulkheads with the cover.
Plasticard strips were also needed on both side of the top part, and sanded smooth. The fit is excellent and this will be a really good looking M113. Still need to finetune a few things but I am happy with the integration of Verlinden and Ludwigs parts. Notice that many details were removed from the Verlinden built sections for safeguarding while the building is happening. These are quite fragile and some were falling off during manipulation.
M113 Verlinden top part
M113 Verlinden top part
Capture9.JPG (84.2 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
Driver compartment complete. Although it was very annoying to me that Plan A did not succeed, the Plan B servo at the front does not show from the rear ramp and this is what is important. Now I will have an M113 with full interior details...
M113 build
M113 build
Next step is to detail and finish the front area (engine hatch, head lights and guards...).

Regards, Louis
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ya make these look easy :crazy:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Ya make these look easy :crazy:
I'll second that! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi guys,
BarryC wrote:HERMAN BIX wrote:Ya make these look easy, I'll second that!
Thank you for the encouragements. This build is actually not too difficult, and nothing will compare to the Marder 1A1.

I can confirm that the Verlinden M-113A2 kit is not 1/15 scale as advertised, it is definitely 1/16 scale and is a very good match for the Ludwigs basic kit. I did the calculations against the 1/35 Tamiya kit and the measurements are right on 1/16 scale, so it is not the Ludwigs kit that is 1/15. To be truly 1/15, the Verlinden kit would need to be about 11mm larger and about 22mm longer. However, the M2 Machine gun kit coming with the M-113 is 1/15 scale so it needs replacement.

If the Verlinden kit was not so rare, expensive and out of production, it would be easy for everyone to create an 1/16 scale M113, with or without interior.

Regards, Louis
Attachments
Ludwigs / Verlinden M113
Ludwigs / Verlinden M113
Ludwigs / Verlinden M113
Ludwigs / Verlinden M113
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Here is the front top, headlights and trim vane.

As seen in the Military museum in Calgary, the M113 trim vane is made of plywood which can easily deteriorate after long exposure. I was able to picture a lot of details.
M113 trim vane
M113 trim vane
Although they seemed a bit small, I decided to reuse the Verlinden resin headlights because the AFV Model headlights I purchased were too large. I inserted a 3mm LED.
M113 headlights
M113 headlights
The wires are mostly hidden. I only activated the exterior lights. Still got some polishing to do.
M113 headlights
M113 headlights
M113 headlights
M113 headlights
M113 headlights
M113 headlights
M113 headlights
M113 headlights
I installed the trim vane on small hinges so that it can be deployed and also that the engine hood can open to give access to the inside. I looked for ways to activate the trim vane with a servo but making the arm mechanism to work was beyond my skills.
M113 headlights and trim vane
Compared to the ACAV build where I had to scratch build all these parts, use of the Verlinden resin model really speeds up things, are very detailed and of good quality.

Regards, Louis
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Very nice to watch. What is this trim vane for? Fording a river ore something?

Return to “Modern Builds”