Schützenpanzer Marder 1A1 MICV - Bundeswehr 1970s - Build

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Schützenpanzer Marder 1A1 MICV - Bundeswehr 1970s - Buil

Post by BarryC »

Excellent Louis! :clap: :clap:

Necessity is the mother of invention, I gather needed bits form any where I can find them. If it can made to look right then it will do. :thumbup:

I really wish someone would do a M2 Bradley in this scale. :)

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

This is just AMAZING :clap:

And a joy to behold.

Will you try doing a Puma to have the evolution in scale models as well? Full scratch? I bet you would prevail.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Soeren wrote:Will you try doing a Puma to have the evolution in scale models as well?
Thank you but I do not think so unless Christian creates a base kit for it. My build time has to be between 2 and 3 months before my interest moves to something else. I have an M-113A2 and TPZ Fuchs awaiting on the shelf... The construction method of the M-113A2 will be different than the M-113A1 ACAV built last year. Got to finish this one first.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

With this post, the construction of the exterior of the vehicle is finished.
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
The tools comes from the Heng Long Leopard 2A6 accessory set and were installed using Shapeways '1:16 German Tool clamps late type economy pack'. For less than 10$, this set improves the look of the tools once all the molded in clamps have been sanded smooth. Not sure these are authentic for 1970s Bundeswehr but they are better than the original. It is also fast and much simpler to use than photo-etched sets.
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Overview of the exterior of the vehicles with all tools and equipment installed. People with sharp eyes will notice that the Leopard 2A6 grousers are much too large for the Marder tracks, but after having tried to reduce a couple in an attempt to make them accurate, the results were not good so I decided to keep them like that.
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
The spare tracks holders on the ramp are complicated to repro. With the 3 hours I was willing to put on them today, this is what I could do. I might improve the locking mechanism later.
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
With the exterior finished, the next step is to complete the interior detailing and then it will be ready for painting. The plan is to do a Green/white camo like the picture on the first post.
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Marder 1A1 1/16 RC
Regards, Louis
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Stunning work. Proper masterpiece.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Mindbending Mr cq11...........of all the rare and overlooked AFV's, this would have to be one of the best examples along with an 'S'-tank I reckon.

Thanks for sharing it with us
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I can only echo what the other lads have said, Louis. Absolutely sensational work, I think you've outdone yourself here. I'm pretty sure I've said that for your last few builds too, but they keep on getting more and more impressive!
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Ad Lav wrote:Stunning work. Proper masterpiece.
Agreed!
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, well, thank you everyone for your kind words. I have to admit its been a complicated challenge and I have tested many of my limits. I hope I will be able to do a good paint job.

In this post, I have finished the interior up to the level I want it. There was never a goal for a completely detailed interior with all the brackets and electronic items. The goal was to see something interesting when the rear ramp is lowered. I went as far as I could with the information available on the Marder 1A1. Hopefully, there are not too many mistakes.

Below is an overview with roof removed for clarity and showing the tread plates added to the floor of the fighting compartment. I did not find triple diamond pattern as seen in reference, so I had to install single diamond pattern.
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
This is a picture of the unlocking mechanism for the rear ramp on likely a 1A3 version vehicle. You can see the blocked pistol ports starting with that version. The rear area has various pouches on both sides of the exit. I could have spent weeks detailing a perfectly accurate interior but I have more interesting modelling challenges in mind for the rest of the year...
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
The mechanism reproduced using the above picture. I looks easier than it is without dimensions to use. The bottom pipe is not long enough but I won't redo it.The pouches will be added to their horizontal brackets once the paint job is done.
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
The MG-3 machine gun stand seen in few references has been reproduced on the other side. I can imagine than the vehicle is too low and narrow for the section machine gunner to bring it inside. Meaning he has to pick it up on the way out, a bit weird in the middle of action.
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Overview with the roof removed
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
A G3 assault rifle is positioned on a stand as seen in reference.
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
The model is being prep for the painting phase. The Marder has wonderful and unparalleled access. You just have to open the hinged hood to get to the gearbox and electronics, and just raise the skirts to get to the tracks. Its a beautiful sunny day here in Quebec, the pool is in operation and it is 30 Celsius. What a difference when I did the Ram II back in January. Further away is the water reserve of the nearby golf course.
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Marder MICV 1/16 RC
Next time you see it, it will be painted, no more white stuff.

Regards, Louis
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Wahoo! More awesome work Louis......it's going to look fantastic painted up. :clap: :clap:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”