Schützenpanzer Marder 1A1 MICV - Bundeswehr 1970s - Build

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Schützenpanzer Marder 1A1 MICV - Bundeswehr 1970s - Buil

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Thought you might want to see a video of the Marder Turret/Hull integration tests. I identified a few dents in the rotation wheel that was creating the problems and mostly fixed it.

https://youtu.be/vRB9YRVrPMM

Regards, Louis
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

An ingenious solution to the turret mechanicals, Louis. I'm always really impressed with your clever use of space to get so much functionality into such a small volume. I've never seen an R/C vehicle with a detailed turret basket in bigger scales, let alone 1:16!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you very much everyone for your interest.

Continuing with the interior.

The Marder is equipped with what seems to be a very powerful NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) warfare protection for the crew and infantry. No wonder the interior feels like a submarine. Pictures are from the book Schützenpanzer Marder by Rolf Hilmes Hans-Peter Lohmann. It is in German but it is a must for such build, it has great pictures and technical graphs.
Marder 1A1 interior
Marder 1A1 interior
It was difficult to recreate this items with a few picture and without any plans. My goal was to recreate a general look and feel of the item. To help me with the build, I put to contribution my son's LEGO collection. It avoided starting totally from scratch and it enabled the creation of 3D basic shapes in minutes. As it is plastic, these can be glued and modified as required.
Marder 1A1 interior
Marder 1A1 interior
Early Marders are equipped with the SEM 25 radio. This is the only picture I could find of the installation and arrangement of the various components.
Marder 1A1 interior
Marder 1A1 interior
And this my rendition of the radio set. Again, the idea was to get the basic look and feel so that it looks like the radio / command area from the rear ramp. You can also clearly see the LEGO parts.
Marder 1A1 interior
Marder 1A1 interior
This is the general layout of the interior with the seat module installed. There is still much detailing to perform on the interior, including installing the tread plates, countless brackets and other items.
Marder 1A1 interior
Marder 1A1 interior
And here is a preview of the interior. I started installing the lighting and I am still working on the best positions for the LEDs.
Marder 1A1 interior
Marder 1A1 interior
I wish I could go in...
Marder 1A1 interior
Marder 1A1 interior
Left side
Marder 1A1 interior
Marder 1A1 interior
Right side
Marder 1A1 interior
Marder 1A1 interior
This is the view I was really hoping for when the rear ramp opens. Building the interior in mostly for fun and for a learning experience.
Marder 1A1 interior
Marder 1A1 interior
Next step is to finish the interior so that I can focus on something else.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Ah, finally, the other track is finished. Ok, it cost me around $15 to have Diehl tracks to put on the Marder but also 16 hours of work, and a couple of fingers. Its unknown how long they will last so I do not recommend it unless it is real important to you.
Marder Diehl tracks
Marder Diehl tracks
Marder Diehl tracks
Marder Diehl tracks
I've decided to focus on the exterior hull for a while. Next step are the Schurzens.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Here are the Marder Schurzens (side skirts)

What i thought would be a quick task ended up being a dusty 10 hours operation to build the 2 side skirts. Those who have built a Tamiya Leopard A4 know that it takes a few minutes to mount the single piece skirt on the chassis. Not here, the skirts have to be built. Looking at the few pictures of instructions is not enough. Close examinations of references is essential for an accurate representation. These are the parts included with the kit for the side skirts. Just the cutting and cleaning exercise to prepare the parts is long.
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Eight of these modules need to be created exactly similar. The real skirts are pretty rough themselves when looking at them closely so there is no point polishing these too much.
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Ludwigs requests the builder to glue 4 of these little tiny parts together that are not exactly similar to create the 14 mounts for the chassis. After building one that you see at the bottom of the picture, I found the process impractical and the results to be questionable. I therefore created new ones from plasticard leftovers (you get a lot of these). A stick of the right dimension was cut and then shaped using the Dremel , sanded with a file and the individual mounts of the right length were cut. A small hole is then drilled on each side to reproduce the one seen on the real thing. It is a much simpler and accurate process.
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
The individual modules need to be assembled like a skewer using the provided plastic and metal rod.
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Each mount has to be positioned on the chassis according to their associated flexible attachment of the skirt rod so that the modules remains movable and can be raised like the real thing.
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
The mounting of the side skirt needs to be done carefully with a lot of dry fitting and sometimes repositioning to avoid mistakes.
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
The linkup with the resin part provided for the front of the chassis is multi-dimensional and tricky. It needs to be positioned properly in order for the skirt to be strait and being able to be raised correctly.
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
But the final result is very good.
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
The ability to raise the skirt is the value added bonus of taking the time to recreate them precisely. It provides excellent access to the road wheels and tracks, something you do not get with mainstream kits. As I did not build the upper hull to be able to be disassembled from the chassis, flexible side skits were a must for maintenance.
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Marder 1A1 side skirts
Next step will be for the front and rear mud guards.

Regards, Louis
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

"The ability to raise the skirt is the value added bonus".....................
Ohh yes indeed it is :shifty: :shh:

Ahem :{ .........superb work again Mr cq11, the interior would look at home in a "space 1999 Eagle" !!
Are you able to do a size comparison shot using one of your other tanks as reference please Sir.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, here is the front mud guard and lights, and an answer to Herman at the end.

There are the 2 plasticard parts provided for the front mud guard with the base kit, and the 3D printed headlights and guards that can be purchased separately from Christian. Other required material need to be gathered for the build. The builder can represent various ondulations on the mud guard but I prefer mine to be strait.
Marder 1A1 Mud guard and lights
The provided mud guard parts need to be augmented with an additional interior section and a 1mm half rods for the finishing touch around the edge. The most complex area is the headlights. No stand is provided so one need to be created from plasticard using references. Holes are for the wires.
This is the finished headlights. It is not easy to wire the inside of those small headlights with a 5MM LED. The lenses will be added after painting.
Lights On
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
This is the model as it stands today
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
HERMAN BIX wrote:Are you able to do a size comparison shot using one of your other tanks as reference please Sir.
Yes, here is the Marder next to a Leopard 2A6 and an M113, all in 1/16 scale. The Marder is barely smaller than the Leopard, and significantly larger and bigger than the US M113.
Ludwigs Marder 1A1 size comparison with Leopard 2A6 and M113
Ludwigs Marder 1A1 size comparison with Leopard 2A6 and M113
Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Really impressed with your work and how big that Marder really is :wave:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Wow, hell yeah, that is actually bigger than I thought it was by a long shot.
Thanks for the comparison.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Beautiful work Louis! :clap:

I can't wait to see it all painted up. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”