Schützenpanzer Marder 1A1 MICV - Bundeswehr 1970s - Build

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Schützenpanzer Marder 1A1 MICV - Bundeswehr 1970s - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

The start of a new build is always very exciting. Months of brainstorming and parts accumulation leads to this moment when I think I am sure enough of my chances at success to start it. I realized that creating a build on this site always makes me want to do a better job and push myself further than before. I am almost done with my current build (the V-100) and as I awaits for some parts to finish it, I am jumping on this new one.

I was always fascinated by the Marder 1. Its good modern look and functionality was way ahead for its time when it was introduced in the late 1960s. It is still a very good vehicle in its modernized A5 version 50 years later.
Christian Ludwig Marder 1a1
Capture3.JPG (73.07 KiB) Viewed 6333 times
Scope of project;
- 1/16 scale RC German Schützenpanzer Marder 1A1 Mechanized Infantry Combat Vehicle (MICV) of the 1970s Bundeswehr
- Working headlights and taillights
- Main 20mm gun turret rotation, elevation, flash and sound
- Rear 7.62mm machine gun turret with rotation, flash and sound
- Raising and lowering of rear main hatch
- Basic interior details of the rear compartment with interior lighting
- Engine sound and smoke unit
- Clark TK60 control board
- Between 2 and 3 months construction time

The core of the model is the Christian Ludwig basic kit of the Marder 1A1, below are the main hull parts. Although intimidating at first, I have learned to appreciate the good quality and measurements of Ludwigs kits on 2 of my previous projects (the M-113 and V-100). Hope this is the same for the Marder, i will see. You need to be a "builder" to truly enjoy a basic kit like this. The building challenges are obvious, potential and critical major mistakes lurking at every corner.
These are the schurzens (skirts) and the many hinges among other parts.
This is the rear machine gun section
And this is the resin turret, 20mm metal gun and other Ludwigs parts to help me build the kit. Other items commercially available like headlights will be purchased separately. The rest will need to be scratch built.
One of the key item for the builder to figure out is the suspension, road wheels, tracks and associated gears. Instead of purchasing items separately, a plastic Heng Long Leopard 2A6 complete lower hull was purchased (cheaper) and will be a source of material for the build. All parts will need alterations of some kind to fit the smaller Marder.
I will detail all my reference sources later on. The build is helped by the fact that a lot of pictures are available on the web. The German site http://www.panzer-modell.de is a very good resource for building Bundeswehr material.
Continuing on following post

Regards, Louis
Attachments
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Schützenpanzer Marder 1A1 MICV - Bundeswehr 1970s - Buil

Post by lmcq11 »

Continuing previous post on planning activities

For the build, mainly for checking dimensions and 3D positioning of parts, I will be helped by my old 1/35 Tamiya Marder 1 that I built as a young kid in the 1970s. The formula (Tamiya part dimension divided by 1/35 and then divided by 16) provides much needed reassurances on such build.
Tamiya 1/35 Marder 1
Tamiya 1/35 Marder 1
Tamiya 1/35 Marder 1
Tamiya 1/35 Marder 1
Tamiya 1/35 Marder 1
Tamiya 1/35 Marder 1
The plan is for Heng Long suspension to cut out of the Leopard 2 chassis and implanted on the Marder lower hull
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
The HL chassis provides a lot of basic materiel for the build:
- Roadwheels
- Sprockets
- Idlers and adjustable mounting
- Tracks
- Suspension arms, springs and mounting

The HL self contained spring suspension units are really smooth and should work better than torsion bars. The model will be very light so no need for heavy metal parts here in my views. Individual suspension units will be cut out of the Leopard 2 hull, trimmed and inserted on the Ludwig hull after a bigger hole is drilled for each. Positioning them properly will be a key success factor, too much inside or outside will create issues for the tracks. So, lots of planning and checking required. Other items around the main suspension will be figured out later. That's the plan...
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Although I am hoping to use the HL Leopard 2 metal gearbox, it could be tight. So, a Panzer IV gearbox is kept in reserve just in case.
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Continuing on following post
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

continuing previous post

The tracks are very important for look and feel. All 1/16 Marder models I have seen have M-26 Pershing tracks. I want Diehl tracks on my Marder, as shown below;
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
The Leopard 2 tracks are of the right type but at 40mm in width, the Leopard 2 tracks are too wide for the Marder so the plan is to reduce them in size.
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Leopard 2 tracks are 2 extender sections on each side, the Marder has one as shown below
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Capture.JPG (39.57 KiB) Viewed 6326 times
Need to remove at least 5mm in width so removing one of the 2 extender on both ends of each track link provides the required reduction for size and accuracy.
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Track ends are reduced and glued back to each track. Before (top) and after (below). Track width are now 35mm, which I think will be acceptable. Yes, it will take a few hours to cover the approx 150 links needed.
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
The road wheels are also a bit too wide in my views so I removed a bit of the spacer between the 2 wheels, it helps without altering the wheels themselves.
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Ludwigs Marder 1A1
Now that the feasibility study is done, the build itself can go ahead. The fun is starting here.

Regards, Louis
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Damn Louis, this is so cool!! Envious!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

You've done my head in looking at the track alteration required !!
Another majestic piece of 1/16th artistry coming right up :clap: :clap:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Wow. That looks like some tedious work. You must be right about the "builder" term. Following along.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Louis,

Another fantastic build underway! How do you crank them out so quickly and maintain such a high level of operation and detail? :clap:

Can't wait to see the finished Marder.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Preparation is always key, Louis and, as usual, you have done all the 'homework' and research needed. :thumbup:
More than that, your scratch building and improvisation skills (for those unanticipated problems) are more than a match for the task. Like many others, I'm sure, I shall follow your progress with keen interest!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Something new and exciting, I love the Marder. You'll need a Leopard or MBT-70 to go with it, next. ;)
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, thank you all for your encouragements.
BarryC wrote:How do you crank them out so quickly and maintain such a high level of operation and detail?
Hi Barry, very far from being perfect like your builds, mine show lots of compromises and use of simpler lighter material like plasticard to makes it possible, but a lot less resistant.
Raminator wrote: You'll need a Leopard or MBT-70 to go with it, next.
Yes, here is my old 1/16 Tamiya Leopard in Canadian C1 Late version that I converted 10 years ago, a rebuilt of the first 70s RC release that came with gearbox but pretty much nothing else. It is in much need of a complete overhaul now to bring it to latest standards with control board, new gearbox, new tracks, sound, gun recoil, elevation... everything. Another project in the plans and a good cold war partner to the Marder.
Leopard C1 late
Leopard C1 late
Leopard C1 late
Leopard C1 late
Regards, Louis

Return to “Modern Builds”