Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

Post by Soeren »

:thumbup: :wave:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, thank you again for your encouragements.

Continuing with the interior. It is far from over but the following picture gives you an idea of where this is going. Yes, I intend on building the central pole with the 2 seats.
Ludwigs M113
Ludwigs M113
An wide interior like this offers lots of potential, making the model something very interesting to build and look at. I am currently accumulating Vietnam era grunt material. I put on a couple of items just for the picture.
Ludwigs M113
Ludwigs M113
Few pictures are available of the battery box on the right. it still need some fine tuning because I had to do some interpretation. And yes, the engine bulkhead will have the red "Danger Monoxide gas" sign on it, an absolute must. I am still wondering if M-113 in Vietnam had the heater that would be installed at the back there.
Ludwigs M113
Ludwigs M113
The seats were a lot of work because of the shape. I am still undecided if I will attempt to create the cushions. Above the seat on the shelf is the AN/VCR-47 radio set (I think) with RT-524 receiver/transmitter on the left and R-442 receiver in the middle, and what seems to be maybe an AN/VCR-46 Vinson on the right. Currently still figuring out the parts to use and the wiring but I found a great source at http://www.radionerds.com/index.php/AN~VRC-12
Ludwigs M113 with Shapeways AN/VCR-47 radio
The radio set is only temporarily put on the shelf. It will be installed permanently only after the interior paint job (foam green color). The whole radio cabling arrangement will be created then, along with the AN/VIC-1 intercom set, with switch boxes, speakers and connectors running around the interior. That will be fun. This is important as it makes the interior come alive. I still have to figure out the interior lighting systems, with red and dimmed white.
The roof is not fixed so the brackets are only glued to the shelf itself.
On the other side is the AN/VCR-12 with RT-246 receiver/transmitter, again the cabling will need to be installed only after painting.
Ludwigs M113 with Shapeways AN/VCR-12 radio
Ludwigs M113 with Shapeways AN/VCR-12 radio
Overview from above of the interior so far. The floor of ACAV M-113 could be covered with sand bags, but I am not planning to do that.
Ludwigs M113
Ludwigs M113
The ramp elevation push rod was made to go through the seat. Not ideal but it is less intrusive that way because items can be put on the seat to hide most of it from view when seen from the rear. The interior of M113 in Vietnam were a real mess so it won't be difficult.
Ludwigs M113
Ludwigs M113
I think I will work on the rear or the cupola next.

I also need a break. I have to force myself to stop working on it.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Louis it looks "move in ready" and I can imagine myself sitting down inside of it it's so true to scale
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Magnificent :clap: :clap: :clap:

Please, please................do the sandbags....................just because !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

I will put a few sandbags just for you Herman...
Sanbagged M113
Sanbagged M113
rsz_m113_sandbagged.jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Very cool XD
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Now finishing the rear panel.

The rear lights are made from Mato Sherman rear lights with the mounting removed using a file, as shown on the right one in the picture below.
M113 rear lights
M113 rear lights
Rear lights are installed but I had to cut a section of the top of the gas tank in order to hide the wire connections inside. There are quite a few wires to weld together. It is advisable to plan this ahead of time. You can see the small Heng Long led taken from the spare box and used for interior lighting. It is not positioned on the roof as per reference but this is the best alternative. Ideally, someone would install a small switch to alternate between red and dimmed white light. The hole on top of the gas tank was later covered to protect the wires.
M113 rear lights
M113 rear lights
The rear panel is almost finished. The guard on top of the rear lights will be installed later because they are quite fragile and will surely break while I manipulate the model until it is finished.
M113 rear panel
M113 rear panel
The trench like feature on the left mud guard was replicated, not included in kit. The trench seems to be used to evacuate liquid, either water or gazoline, I don't know.
M113 rear panel
M113 rear panel
The door has an external frame that need to be scratch built. The US jerrycans will be installed on both sides of the ramp after painting.
M113 rear panel
M113 rear panel
The small red led is properly illuminating the interior for night time lighting in combat zones.
M113 rear panel interior red light
M113 rear panel interior red light
Next step will be the commander cupola and the top of the vehicle.

Regards, Louis
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

You're a miracle worker, Louis. I think it's incredible how you can fit so much functionality into such small spaces with these open vehicles. The low-angle photos looking into the crew compartments really skew the sense of scale and make it hard to tell what's real and what's a model, sometimes. What remains to be done before it's time to paint? Have you had any ideas about paintwork or markings?

EDIT: The last photo with the hatch open reminds me of Domo-kun:

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Exceptional work Louis! :clap:

Your engineering solutions and attention to details are brilliant!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Such exceptional work Louis.
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Modern Builds”